Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vampyr - It's like VtM Bloodlines game for Requiem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I haven't beaten it yet, but love the story thus far - yeah combat is repetitive. It's almost like it is two different games that were merged together. There is the good, narrative story and then there is the grind fest of enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Shadow Veil power, it's used for stealth runs.

Just remember to use it wisely, as it's got a pretty annoying cool down timer.

But, if you're really having that much difficulty with a pacifist run, there is an easy way to solve all your problems.

At the level up screen, bring up any of the power trees as if you were about to spend experience on them. Then hold down either the O or P keys. You get free experience!
      It's not about difficulty. If anything, combat is easy.
      It's about the impossibility to roleplay

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post

It's not about difficulty. If anything, combat is easy.
        It's about the impossibility to roleplay

Ah, yes, that...

I was also disappointed that Jonathan seemed to be hard wired towards the humanitarian personality. When I found out somebody was guilty of doing some shady or outright evil deeds, most of the dialogue options turned out to be various ways of showing that he did not approve of their actions. I don't need 3 different options to accuse somebody of being racist. What if I actually LIKE the idea of segregating the rich from the poor during a time of plague!?

Comment

Ah, yes, that...

I was also disappointed that Jonathan seemed to be hard wired towards the humanitarian personality. When I found out somebody was guilty of doing some shady or outright evil deeds, most of the dialogue options turned out to be various ways of showing that he did not approve of their actions. I don't need 3 different options to accuse somebody of being racist. What if I actually LIKE the idea of segregating the rich from the poor during a time of plague!?

Oh, I could totally get behind Jonathan being humanitarian, he is a good guy after all. My problems stemmed from the fact that he has trouble killing these people, and thinks they're great, and then two meters away he's slaughtering hunter after hunter with no regard. Anyways, mikerand is completely right. It's as if they took two games, one roleplaying game about being a vampire, and another boring action fighter and mashed them in together. Sadly, only one of them is good :/

My Bloodline conversions
          My House rules

Comment

Oh, I could totally get behind Jonathan being humanitarian, he is a good guy after all. My problems stemmed from the fact that he has trouble killing these people, and thinks they're great, and then two meters away he's slaughtering hunter after hunter with no regard. Anyways, mikerand is completely right. It's as if they took two games, one roleplaying game about being a vampire, and another boring action fighter and mashed them in together. Sadly, only one of them is good :/
            So, it's a spiritual successor to Bloodlines? :-p

I'd say Jonathan is a Gangrel with some strange Bloodline; he's given over to powerful frenzies and has a lot of Protean abilities. Also, [spoiler].

Comment

Being a good guy is only one possibility. The entire point of the game was about the choice between denying your monstrous nature (and being weaker for it), or embracing your nature (in exchange for more power).

My first play through was to go full on vampire and gorge on as many citizens as I could, only for Jonathan to continue acting like he cared about what happened to the people of London. Because I sure as shit didn't!

It's okay though, because the end of the evil play through features him fully embracing his life as a monster who feeds on mortals.

Also, while I was playing through the game, I was often confused as to why the vampires had to kill while feeding. I couldn't help but notice every time Jonathan fed upon or 'embraced' somebody, he tore a chunk of their throat out with his teeth after he was done. You'd think being a friggin doctor, he would have been knowledgeable in the oh so difficult technique of gently puncturing the victim's neck with his fangs and sipping their blood like a civilized vampire!

Comment

Being a good guy is only one possibility.
                No, no, “only one of them is good” as in “only one of the two games that Vampyr feels like it’s stitched together from is a quality game.”

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  No, no, “only one of them is good” as in “only one of the two games that Vampyr feels like it’s stitched together from is a quality game.”

This.

I understand that the GOOD game is about how monstrous you're gonna become, how will you choose whom to kill, what justifications will you make, or maybe none... or maybe you'll eat everyone.

Problem is there's also this BAD game which has lame combat mechanics, and forces you into combat and also immersion breaks the good one

My Bloodline conversions
                  My House rules

Comment

I have huge troubles with the game. especially the big distinction between "Fancy NPCs who talk with you" and "Mook hunters who know you're a vampire on sight". At first I thought in my head "i'm gonna imagine that all hunters have a power which allows them that", but then you meet a Fancy NPC Vampire Hunter who will talk with you and is gonna be clueless that hole thing shattered.
                    Similarly, their attempts to play at human life being valuable, and then providing you mobs of Mooks to murder with no other recourse is... immersion breaking, to say the least.
                    The distinction between NPCs and mooks is Self-Defense. The Hunters don't, in fact, have any power, they'll kill also normal folk who do not comply to their imposed curfew, and you'll react accordingly. NVM the whole point of the Fancy NPC hunter was that he was a fiasco, but I guess you wouldn't have realized this if you just went around sucking the blood of the NPCs whenever you could.

I found the game highly immersive, because during my first playthru I only killed NPCs who deserved it. I never lost a district, and finished the final fight on the first try at lvl 31.

Edit: Also, nothing prevents you from trying to never engage the hunters, but given that they'd also kill normal people for dilly dallying, I'd put them down for good measure.
                    Last edited by Malus; 06-10-2018, 06:18 AM.

Comment

To be fair to the studio . they aren’t exactly Triple aaa developers with CALL OF DUTY money
                      Last edited by Konradleijon; 06-09-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Also, it has one of the better inspirations for the Circle of the Crone I've seen.

Myrddin and the Red Queen think it's pretty awesome being vampires, and view it as a great gift, but they aren't cruel about it; they are simply parts of a larger natural cycle. In particular, the Red Queen, being defeated, doesn't rage or spite; she simply shrugs, compliments her son on finding someone able to stand up to her, and goes in effect "see you next torpor!" There are few better inspirations for the Crone.

Comment

Also, while I was playing through the game, I was often confused as to why the vampires had to kill while feeding. I couldn't help but notice every time Jonathan fed upon or 'embraced' somebody, he tore a chunk of their throat out with his teeth after he was done. You'd think being a friggin doctor, he would have been knowledgeable in the oh so difficult technique of gently puncturing the victim's neck with his fangs and sipping their blood like a civilized vampire!
                          if you paid attention, you'd know vampires in Vampyr don't actually need blood. Blood doesn't nourish them, it only makes them feel good and the blood acts as fuel for their powers. It's people's souls that nourishes a vampire in Vampyr. Every time you 'embrace' someone, you drink their soul, much in the same way diablerie works in Vampire The Requiem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post

if you paid attention, you'd know vampires in Vampyr don't actually need blood. Blood doesn't nourish them, it only makes them feel good and the blood acts as fuel for their powers. It's people's souls that nourishes a vampire in Vampyr. Every time you 'embrace' someone, you drink their soul, much in the same way diablerie works in Vampire The Requiem.
                            Yeah, you even get their last thoughts, and even if you didn't had all their hints, you get their biography.

Comment

I just finished the game. Spoiler free mini-review here:

The climax of the game felt lacking and rushed. The epilogue on the other hand was pretty long and elaborate. All in all it was a decent game with a decent story. Certainly no Bloodlines, but close enough to keep me entertained.

I got the "bad" ending because I ate the entirety of Whitechapel before going to the final boss, so London wasn't in the best of state and Jonathan was far from the innocent man he used to be. I was actually quite happy with the ending I got. It felt fitting and satisfying. But then again I never shy away from tragic endings, I live for them.

The combat is by far the weakest point of the game, but honestly, after a while I grew used to it and I started cutting through the hunters and other vampires quickly and easily (even before eating the entire Whitechapel population).

The story is actually pretty good for Dontnod standards. But don't expect to be blown away here, Vampyr is no Witcher, it's no Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines or Redemption either, it's a Dontnod game, so if you are familiar with Dontnod's poor writing quality (looking at Life is Strange) and you boot up Vampyr expecting something similar to Life is Strange, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Vampyr's writing is much better than Life is Strange. But if you go into this game expecting writing quality similar to The Witcher or Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines, you're going to be disappointed.
                              The best part of this game in my opinion is the atmosphere and gameplay. With gameplay I mean basically everything outside of the combat. The NPCs are well-written and I like how the NPCs have their own secrets and relationships. The way the fate of an NPC impacts the world is pretty entertaining too. I'm also pretty satisfied with the moral dilemmas the game throws at you. Some of the choices I had to make actually made me pause the game and think for a minute.

All in all I think Vampyr was a good game. I would recommend buying this game on sale. This game is easily worth 45 bucks (so I'm happy I pre-ordered it for that price), but 60 bucks is too expensive in my opinion.
                              Last edited by Ventrue Life; 06-13-2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Looks kind of interesting in that it seems to be a early 20th century setting, to my understanding of it, and that it could inspire games in the Victorian Age setting.

Comment

Working...
                                X