Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats it like spreading a Cult or bloodline.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats it like spreading a Cult or bloodline.

Few kindred are suited for a Nomadic Requiem

even fewer of some bloodlines, like the Malocians, who are tied to a house or other structure

ideas how such bloodlines spread?

1. A bloodline or cult founder could be exiled from a domain and leave behind followers or childer who have whatever powers the bloodline has.

2. A variant of #1. Childer or followers are exiled and take their beliefs, practices, and powers with them.

3. Similar powers or cults spring up due to similar circumstances that facilitated their formation elsewhere.

4. There's nothing in 2nd. ed. that makes travel or a nomadic existence prohibitive anymore. Vamires can walk around in sunlight now.
    Last edited by tsusasi; 07-01-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

As long as their humanity is high enough and their BP low enough, sort of. They still gotta heal and overcome the frenzy and stay awake (except if they have the matching coils and having both of them is probably very rare for a high humanity low BP vamp). I wouldn't call that simply being able to walk around in sunlight.

That said, I never thought the argument of sunlight against traveling was very convincing, honestly. It's not like you can't drive a car between two cities at night. The United States have some regions where towns are far apart, but most of Europe is pretty densely populated all over and you really gotta look to find a a town where you're more than an hour away from any other town. Honestly, if you walked fast enough, you could probably get around a big part of western europe by only traveling between towns at night and never get caught by the sunrise (and it's not like vampires have to pack sleeping bags or food).

I mean, sure, it's not really practical, and you'd usually need a reason to move, but it seems like a fair decision for vampires who's in tight spots in their hometown. Now, there's the problem of arriving in a new social order, but if you target small towns and you aren't too weak or dumb, I'd say you have a decent chance of finding your place.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Brechen View Post
        As long as their humanity is high enough and their BP low enough, sort of. They still gotta heal and overcome the frenzy and stay awake (except if they have the matching coils and having both of them is probably very rare for a high humanity low BP vamp). I wouldn't call that simply being able to walk around in sunlight.

That said, I never thought the argument of sunlight against traveling was very convincing, honestly. It's not like you can't drive a car between two cities at night. The United States have some regions where towns are far apart, but most of Europe is pretty densely populated all over and you really gotta look to find a a town where you're more than an hour away from any other town. Honestly, if you walked fast enough, you could probably get around a big part of western europe by only traveling between towns at night and never get caught by the sunrise (and it's not like vampires have to pack sleeping bags or food).

I mean, sure, it's not really practical, and you'd usually need a reason to move, but it seems like a fair decision for vampires who's in tight spots in their hometown. Now, there's the problem of arriving in a new social order, but if you target small towns and you aren't too weak or dumb, I'd say you have a decent chance of finding your place.
        Or dominate/blood-bind someone into driving you around in a sunshine-proofed trunk.

Comment

Works too and it's always been the classic option, but I'm just considering the "travel alone" basis for the sake of argument and for non-ventrue.

Comment

Anybody can blood bind people.

Comment

The idea that there are few Kindred travelers is actually false In fact, one of the huge achievements of the Roman Camarilla was that they had a very steady network of travel, for instance. With modern conveniences, its very easy for vampires to travel in this day and age.

While most vampires aren't nomads, that doesn't mean they don't travel. Its not uncommon for Carthians to move from domain to domain to help the Movement in different regions. Lancea and Invictus members often send mesangers between cities. And so on. Vampire nomads have a certain lifestyle that implies being constantly on the move. That is admittedly more difficult for many vampires. But handling a simple move to a new city for long term settlement isn't hard at all, especially for neonates and ancillae who want fresh feeding grounds.

So, even a bloodline that ties itself to a haven or territory would travel in this way. Grow up, move out of Sire's home, find your own place in a different city.
              Last edited by MCN; 07-02-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

There's, in fact, a whole book about traveling vampires in first edition, Nomads.
                Last edited by nofather; 07-02-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Am curious how valid is that book in 2nd edition where vampires are a wee bit more sun tolerant?

though with a cult or covenant I could see Revenants coming first.

Comment

Let's acknowledge that there is some baggage to dispense with for 2e, here:
                    * WoD vampires became ossified elders (as a rule) who purposefully didn't move around because doing so was dangerous.
                    * Over time, WoD setting became globe-trotting despite the above point, and plotlines were world-spanning.
                    * VtR 1e dragged all that back in on purpose and made meeting any new vampire an exercise in potentially character-ending violence, with the point being "stay in your domain and keep the story close"

VtR 2e rightfully chucks this attitude, and makes walking in the sun for brief periods feasible if risky and uncommon. Even modern scholars have vastly underestimated the mobility of people in medieval times (which has been the template for vampire, generally speaking). Roman mobility is better known, thanks to the roads, and travel and trade even at great distance is now more clear during even the Dark Ages.

So anyway, it would not be uncommon for a vampire to migrate around looking for a community that will tolerate them, or an area they can call their own.

--Khanwulf
                    Last edited by Khanwulf; 01-02-2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

thoughts What the Galloi can do between citys? when coming to a new city they'll want a new bathhouse possibly a fairly posh one.

Best to hang out in a Nosferatu Necropolis? or maybe ask Circle for sanctuary?

Comment

Working...
                      X