Bloodline- Erzsébet 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline- Erzsébet 2e

Hi everybody! I wanted to try my hand at converting a bloodline, and decided to try out the Erzsébet. This is one of my favorite Daeva bloodlines, for reasons I'll get into later, but it's also a bloodline that I haven't seen a fan conversion yet.

Theme: Horror of Aging
    A big part of the Cavaliers' tragedy is that, unlike other Kindred, they physically age, and become weaker as time grows on. In 1e, this was alleviated by the fact that Erzsébet can (or have to, depending on your point of view) voluntarily enter Torpor to diminish the effects of their age. A lot of this drew from the fact that the Fog of Ages was a certainty in 1e, a universal horror that could convince some Erzsébet to weather the vagaries of time. However, with the Fog of Ages being optional in 2e, I felt that the Erzsébet kind of lost their rock-and-a-hard place dilemma: enter Torpor to stave off the side-effects of aging and lose your memories, or keep your memories and grow ever more frail. So I decided to scrap the Torpor aspect and made the bloodline bane inescapable except for one drastic method: diablerie. Snack on an elder of medium Blood Potency, and you can look as young as you did when you were Embraced. Of course, you now have the aura of a diablerist, and run the risk of bringing a blood hunt down on yourself. Is youth and mobility that important that you are willing to commit the ultimate sin and risk the consequences?

And if you're not sure that the Erzsébet bane is bad enough here's some number crunch by the time Ersébet are 200 years old, they have physically aged by 40 years, is suffering a -2 to all of their Physical rolls, and can only invoke 3 dots of Celerity and Vigor. Fast forward another century, and they know look 60 years older than when they were Embraced, a -4 to all of their Physical rolls, and can only invoke 2 dots of Celerity and Vigor. And so on, and so on. Suddenly, diablerie's looking like a tempting course of action, isn't it?

Conversely, the blessing combines their access to Auspex, and their connection to age. The addition of Close Family was inspired by its mention in the 1e write-up, and its inclusion in the 2e corebook. Plus, the imagery of the Erzsébet viewing themselves as a genuine family enhances the strange humanity that the bloodline possesses.

Bloodline Conversion- Erzsébet
    Eternity is not liberation, it is a snare. When you look at your future and see it fading into infinity, your will is sapped: you have the rest of time to achieve your dreams, no need to rush. But when you can see the end, it gives you a drive. Truly, we are blessed among Kindred, brothers and sisters.

Eternal undeath is a concept that most Kindred take for granted. Few if any Kindred will survive for a millennium or more, but there’s still that basic assumption: I’ll be the one who makes it. The Erzsébet, however, know better. The bloodline is cursed with an awful half-life: though they are undead, they still age, albeit slowly, and their bodies eventually suffer the ravages of time. With time, each and every one of them will turn into a living corpse too weak to move, and eventually fall into a permanent Torpor. This grim reality motivates the members of the bloodline to pursue their dreams. Their Requiems become the stuff of legend as they strive for their goals, consequences be damned. All Erzsébet believe in letting no desire go unfulfilled, so that when they walk into the sunlight, it may be without regret.

There is, however, one way for members of the bloodline to stave off their curse: to commit the ultimate sin of Amaranth. This dread secret is only ever passed on from sire to childe in the moments before the sire greets the sun. Just as the bloodline’s legendary namesake was rumored to bath in the blood of virgins to retain her beauty, Erzsébet can consume the souls of other Kindred to undo decades of

Background: The history of the Erzsébet is not the story of an influential bloodline that has altered history, but rather the story of an extended family with an interesting past. In the 17th century, Kindred culture in Italy was experiencing a period of connectivity and cooperation between domains not experienced since the fall of the Camarilla. The Invictus was asserting itself as the legitimate successor of the Roman Camarilla, and its alliance with the Lance et Sanctum was already in place. The Italian Princes made use of messengers to facilitate communication, one of whom was a Daeva named Syska.

Supposedly of Polish origin, Syska, thanks to her variable age and extended absences from court, led many Kindred to believe that Syska was actually an identity shared between a group of Daeva Embraced from the same mortal lineage. In 1657, Syska travelled to Milan, where she had an argument with another vampire who accused her of Embracing indiscriminately. In the course of the argument, Syska entered Frenzy and diablerized the other vampire, with her appearance having become younger by several decades. She was then sentenced to eternal Torpor for her crime, but escaped, and faded out of the historical record for almost a century.

In 1751, Syska appeared in Vienna, using the name Rósza and claiming to be from Hungary. She claimed to be the childe of Baroness Elizabeth Bathory herself, supposedly cursed by God for bathing in the blood of virgins, and now lying in torpor in unmarked land under a false name. Legends of Bathory were all the rage at the time, and the Kindred of Vienna saw her as something as a folk hero; where the kine saw a monster, the vampires saw a paragon. So Rósza’s claims of descent from the baroness won her great acclaim, and the social chameleon soon became the toast of the All-Night Society in Vienna.

Rósza was invited to countless parties, and received innumerable gifts to fund a search to find Bathory- gifts she deposited far and wide for safe keeping. When Kindred of Vienna realized that Rósza had no intention of returning to Hungary to find her supposed sire, Rósza quietly left the city with her childe. She then resurfaced in London, going by the name Mariza Moretti. There, she Embraced several more childer and expanded her bloodline. It was in London that Mariza was revealed as a diablerist, though no Kindred guessed the awful truth. Mariza then fled from London to America, changed her name to Marisa, and propagated her bloodline until she walked in the daylight one last time.

The Becoming: The Erzsébet Embrace much as their cousins do. Some prefer childer with sharp minds and vast intellects, or silver tongues and irresistible charm. Some among the bloodline favor childer with great physical prowess, the better to help their childer withstand the effects of the bloodline’s bane. If there can be said to be any pattern in Erzsébet, it is that each one has a dream which their sires Embraced them so that the dream might be made a reality: not simply wishes that can be fulfilled in a year or so, but grand schemes that could take decades to complete. Overseeing the toppling of an country; living for ten years in a city, and then choosing another; extinguishing a family; all of these and more are worthy dreams in the eyes of the Erzsébet. Often times, would-be childer are first ghouls who are groomed for years before being brought into the family. Because of this, Erzsébet have a much closer bond with their ghouls than other Daeva or Kindred.

In the Danse Macabre: For the most part, Erzsébet tend to blend in with their Daeva cousins. Few Erzsébet acknowledge themselves as such, for fear of being targeted by elders with a grudge against their founder, or suspected as a potential diablerist. Broods in a particular city will often use the same last name to mark themselves as a dynasty- Moretti is common in America- always presenting themselves as a family from a distant domain with which their current dwelling has no contact. Erzsébet prize their ghouls, often grooming them for decades before Embracing them into the bloodline, and are treated as children or cousins; to be a ghoul of the Erzsébet is to be truly fortunate. Secret Erzsébet often portray their bloodline’s bane as a curse unique to their lineage, and take care not to speak the words “Erzsébet” or “Bathory” in public. Some claim that it is some sort of Kindred virus that cannot be transmitted to any but those who are Embraced into the family. A few Erzszébet delight in the celebrity and notoriety that comes with their bloodline’s name and openly announce themselves, but this can attract unwanted attention. Some knowing Kindred see the wasting curse and ever-changing age of these so-called Daeva, exchange knowing looks with their peers, and make a mental to never be alone with the so-called Daeva. Erzsébet have no ideological allegiance to any one covenant, but the Ordo Dracul sees more Erzsébet than any other, as many Cavaliers seek to understand the origin of their bloodline’s bane, and whether there is a way to permanently undo it.

Clan: Daeva

Nickname: Cavaliers (polite), Withered (impolite)

Bloodline Bane: Every five years after their Embrace, an Erzsébet visibly ages by one year. Additionally, once an Erzsébet is 150 years old, she suffers a -1 to all Physical rolls, which increases by one every fifty years thereafter. Her ability to use Celerity and Vigor also diminishes, resulting in her being incapable of invoking one less dot of Celerity and Vigor each century. Erzsébet in Torpor do not age, and can use this to extend their Requiems.

Bloodline Discipline: Auspex, Celerity, Majesty, Vigor

Bloodline Gift: Eye of the Ages
    Being doomed to slowly age and wither to nothing leaves the Erzsébet with a unique insight into decay and aging, and this colors their abilities with Auspex. Whenever an Erzsébet uses Uncanny Perception (Auspex 2) to examine a person or The Spirit's Touch (Auspex 3) to examine an object or building, she can always ask a question related to the age of a person or object. On a critical failure, the character receives a false impression of the subject’s age. On a failure, she is unable to determine the subject’s age. On a success, she knows exactly how old all subjects under one year old all, and a general idea of how old all other subjects are, becoming vaguer the older the object is. On an exceptional success, she is able to pinpoint precisely how old all objects are.

Syska’s Blood
    The familial attitude of the Erzsébet ensures that Cavaliers feel the call of blood quite keenly, and members of the bloodline are fiercely loyal to each other. Erzsébet receive the Close Family merit upon joining the bloodline, and those who already posses it receive its worth in Experiences to purchase dots in Allies (Erzsébet).

Bathory’s Legacy
    Perhaps there was some truth in Rósza’s story that she was the childe of Elizabeth Bathory herself. No Erzsébet has been able to determine why, but diablerie undoes the effects of the bloodline’s aging curse, and the more ancient the vampire in question, the more effective the act. When an Erzsébet successfully commits diablerie, fifty years of aging are undone per dot of the victim's Blood Potency, so that she appears to be a decade younger. This same rejuvenation apples to any penalties she has to Physical rolls and Celerity and Vigor. An Erzsébet cannot use this gift to make herself younger than she appeared when she was Embraced, and cannot gain bonuses to Physical rolls or Celerity and Vigor
    Last edited by Haberdasher; 10-01-2016, 10:30 AM.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

I like it!
    Personally I would try to build in some possibility of reversing the ageing process though, modifying their theme to living on stolen time. It should be something appropriately extreme of course (diablerie comes to mind; or maybe specific Cruac rituals).

Comment

Originally posted by Lepaca View Post
      I like it!
      Personally I would try to build in some possibility of reversing the ageing process though, modifying their theme to living on stolen time. It should be something appropriately extreme of course (diablerie comes to mind; or maybe specific Cruac rituals).
      Thanks! I hadn't considered diablerie as a stop-gap for the Erzsébet, but it would do a nice job of restoring the rock-and-a-hard-place thing they have. And it would also tie into the legends surrounding Bathory herself and her supposed habit of draining virgins dry to bathe in their blood. I'll give it a think, and then put it under the "blessings" section. I'm also thinking of putting a thing about the Erzsébet not aging while in Torpor, and so some Erzsébet use Torpor to artificially extend their Requiems, to bring Torpor back into their lore and mechanics.

Comment

I decided to incorporate diablerie as a mechanic for the Erzsébet. Part of that was inspired by my desire to bring the rock-and-a-hard-place dilemma that they had in 1e, and also because, being a bloodline that claimed association with Elizabeth Bathory, how could I not include something about killing people to rejuvenate yourself? I tied it to the victim's Blood Potency to make elders an even more attractive target, and to create an interesting inversion of Bathory's claimed actions- whereas she killed the young to preserve her appearance, Erzsébet devour the old to restore their youth. I also added a note in the section on the bane that Erzsébet do not age when they enter Torpor, just to bring that back into their lore and mechanics.
        Last edited by Haberdasher; 07-20-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I like it a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Lepaca View Post
            I like it a lot!
            Thank you kindly!

Comment

Looks cool to me, leaves a lot of dynamic room to design interesting NPCs and PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow7045 View Post
                Looks cool to me, leaves a lot of dynamic room to design interesting NPCs and PCs.
                Thanks! I wanted to leave the Erzsébet open in play-style and mostly uncommitted in their political allegiance. To me, the big take-away for the Cavaliers was the bane, how it set them apart from other Kindred, and how they deal with it. Other bloodlines have other qualities that set them apart, but I wanted to preserve the Erzsébet's political neutrality and social versatility.

Comment

Made a slight alteration to the Eye of the Ages gift. I decided to make The Spirit's Touch a prerequisite for using the gift on objects, since that power is already intended to be used on objects.

Comment

Really nice work. I like the feel and the mechanics. Well designed, and fun to play, with that singular feeling of... mortality. I've loved having Diablerie as a must in order to regain the youth. However, i'd make one change: if the character goes inTorpor *voluntarily*, once she reaches BP1 she awakens with that -1 penalty (as if she had again 150 years old). That way you actually can have some seriously old vampires, and not have everyone commit suicide at some point as a must.

Userhat Aegpts Vlrs. Coren "Ojos de Fuego". Mithrael. Menehet.

Comment

Originally posted by Phersus View Post
                      Really nice work. I like the feel and the mechanics. Well designed, and fun to play, with that singular feeling of... mortality. I've loved having Diablerie as a must in order to regain the youth. However, i'd make one change: if the character goes inTorpor *voluntarily*, once she reaches BP1 she awakens with that -1 penalty (as if she had again 150 years old). That way you actually can have some seriously old vampires, and not have everyone commit suicide at some point as a must.
                      I think I didn't clarify this in the rules for the "Bathory's Legacy" gift. Your appearance is rejuvenated by 10 years for every dot of Blood Potency the victim had. Since the bloodline bane says that your appearance ages by one year every five, you age a decade every fifty. But the mechanical effects would be much more dramatic. Since you work off fifty true years of aging, you would also lose fifty years of mechanical penalties.

So let's say an Erzsébet was Embraced at 20. After fifty years, she looks 30, and has accumulated 50 years towards the mechanical side-effects. After another 50, she looks 40, and has accumulated a total of 100 years towards the mechanical side-effects. Another 50, she looks 50, and is now an Elder with 150 years on the clock. She diablerizes a neonate with BP 1. She loses the effects of 50 years of aging: she looks 40 again, and she resets her penalty clock back to 100. She can't rejuvenate her features younger than 20, but she can still diablerize vampires to work off the mechanical penalties: a 500-year-old Erzsébet can work off all 500 years of accumulated penalties by diablerizing a vampire with BP 10. Make sense?

And by "fun to play," do I understand that you are currently playing as an Erzsébet in a Chronicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Haberdasher View Post

I think I didn't clarify this in the rules for the "Bathory's Legacy" gift. Your appearance is rejuvenated by 10 years for every dot of Blood Potency the victim had. Since the bloodline bane says that your appearance ages by one year every five, you age a decade every fifty. But the mechanical effects would be much more dramatic. Since you work off fifty true years of aging, you would also lose fifty years of mechanical penalties.

So let's say an Erzsébet was Embraced at 20. After fifty years, she looks 30, and has accumulated 50 years towards the mechanical side-effects. After another 50, she looks 40, and has accumulated a total of 100 years towards the mechanical side-effects. Another 50, she looks 50, and is now an Elder with 150 years on the clock. She diablerizes a neonate with BP 1. She loses the effects of 50 years of aging: she looks 40 again, and she resets her penalty clock back to 100. She can't rejuvenate her features younger than 20, but she can still diablerize vampires to work off the mechanical penalties: a 500-year-old Erzsébet can work off all 500 years of accumulated penalties by diablerizing a vampire with BP 10. Make sense?

And by "fun to play," do I understand that you are currently playing as an Erzsébet in a Chronicle?

So sorry about the delay. Oh, definitely makes sense now. A 500 year-old Erzsébet can kiss her years goodby by diablerizing any vampire's BP combination, too, a thing much easier to do than go for that 10 BP über-vampire.

By "fun to play" i mean that i'm currently STing a vampire game in which there's a Erzsébet NPC, yeah. And i changed to your version as soon as i read it. Is not the same as being a player, ofc, but you've made them so much more compelling.

Comment

So sorry about the delay. Oh, definitely makes sense now. A 500 year-old Erzsébet can kiss her years goodby by diablerizing any vampire's BP combination, too, a thing much easier to do than go for that 10 BP über-vampire.

By "fun to play" i mean that i'm currently STing a vampire game in which there's a Erzsébet NPC, yeah. And i changed to your version as soon as i read it. Is not the same as being a player, ofc, but you've made them so much more compelling.
                          Thank you very much.

Comment

Thank YOU, mate. Keep up the good work! By the way, I'd be really interested in seeing your version of the Zelani Bloodline and their particular Discipline, Serendipity. If you feel like it, give it a go

Comment

Thank YOU, mate. Keep up the good work! By the way, I'd be really interested in seeing your version of the Zelani Bloodline and their particular Discipline, Serendipity. If you feel like it, give it a go
                              I plan on converting the bloodlines in the Covenant books after Secrets of the Covenants comes out- provided there are no bloodline conversions in there. I would be starting with the Carthains, and the Zelani would be the final bloodline I converted before moving on to the bloodlines of the Circle of the Crone. But I'm probably not going to be ready to start working on the Covenant book bloodlines until December or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X