Bloodline Conversion- Bruja

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline Conversion- Bruja

Hi there everybody! Since I submitted a bloodline conversion for the Erzsébet a few weeks ago, I found that I really had taken a liking to it, and figured I would go ahead and try my hand at converting the bloodlines from the first edition core rulebook to the 2e rules. So, we're starting in alphabetical order with the Bruja.

Thoughts on the Bruja
    Much like the Erzsébet, the Bruja don't have a unique bloodline discipline, which is something of a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, you don't have to deliberate on how to translate a 1e Discipline to 2e rules, and then decide how to crunch the numbers. But by the same token, a unique discipline at least gives you some sort template to work off of, and you instead need to come up with a bloodline blessing that is thematically appropriate and attractive enough that people will want to use your bloodline conversion.

I kept the Bruja backstory mostly the same: Latino biker gets Embraced by a Carthian, turns around and Embraces his buddies, diablerizes his sire, starts vampire biker gang cum bloodline, disappears around 2000 and has not been seen since. I changed "Saavedra" to "Santana" as a minor taste thing: "Carlos Santana" sounds more likely to found a badass biker bloodline to me. Changed his nickname to "Hijo de la Bruja" because grammar matters, darn it.

The 1e bloodline weakness about having trouble resisting Frenzy actually synergized really well with the Gangrel 2e clan bane. So now they don't just get dice pools for resisting frenzy capped at Humanity, but now they also have to deal with dice pools to resist Frenzy due to hunger capped at 3 fewer than their Humanity. Keep these guys well fed, or get ready to frenzy a lot...

... Which is actually pretty viable, seeing as how one half of the Bruja bloodline gift now allows them to potentially score more successes on rolls to ride the wave. And notice that blurb under The Becoming suggesting that you pick up the Wide the Wave Fighting Style? Yeah. Bruja are physical bruisers that nobody wants to tangle with.

The other half of their bloodline blessing, Suerte de Bruja, reflects the fact that their founder was freakishly lucky. So now you can treat a single dramatic failure as a success per story, and I would've been crazy to not give the bloodline whose founder was notorious for being impossible to pin crimes on the Untouchable Merit from the Chronicles of Darkness rulebook. It also helps to explain how these guys haven't been nailed for any of their crimes yet.

Feel free to leave thoughts and comments below. If you decide to use this conversion in one of your chronicles for a PC or NPC, let me know! Now, without further ado...

Bloodline Conversion- Bruja
    Okay, puto. Here’s how it’s going to be. You run as fast as you can in that direction. We give you a thirty minute head-start. If we don’t catch you before the sun comes up, you go free. If we do… well, we’ll see how long this here barbed wire can drag you behind my bike before it snaps.

While organizations like Hells Angels and characters from shows like “Sons of Anarchy” dominate the popular perception of “bikers,” the fact is that the vast majority of bikers are harmless enthusiasts, and many participate in philanthropic and humanitarian causes. Outlaw bikers proudly call themselves “one percenters” in reference to their scarcity within the biker community, and even then, the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation has labeled only four “one percenter” biker gangs as organized criminal groups.

If the Hells Angels and Pagans are the stuff of nightmares for normal bikers and even other outlaw bikers, than Los Hijos de la Bruja, or “The Sons of the Witch,” make Hells Angels members wake up in a cold sweat. They are semi-mythical figures in the biker world, given a wide birth by even the worst of the worst. Where they go, stories of razed buildings and horrific murders follow. Some of the most psychotic or power-hungry outlaw bikers try to join, but vanishingly few survive first contact with the Brujas, let alone the brutal hazing process, so their numbers remain mercifully low.

Background: The Bruja started in the 1940s with a ne’er-do-well Latino boy named Carlos Santana. Santana had experienced a rough childhood as an orphaned bastard in the Depression-era Southwest. By the time he was in his twenties, Santana had gained a reputation for being able to get out of any problem, and no matter how many friends ended up in prison, Santana remained a free man. People began to say that his mother had been a witch, and so he was nicknamed “Hijo de la Bruja,” which was eventually shortened to “Bruja.” The bad luck he had evaded throughout his life finally caught up with him when he was drafted into the Army, and then promptly given a dishonorable discharge for drunkenness. Returning home, Santana fell in with a motorcycle gang called the Booze Fighters.

Years later, Santana caught the attention of an ambitious Gangrel of the Carthian Movement. The Savage believed that motorcycle gangs were ideally suited to be guerrilla fighters for the Carthians against the sedentary Princes the Firebrands opposed. The Savage Embraced Santana to test his theory and immediately tried to turn him on to Carthian propaganda, but Santana had no political convictions whatsoever. For his part, Santana saw his condition as a gift, and immediately Embraced his six closest friends. The seven neonate Gangrel formed their own gang, naming themselves "Los Hijos de la Bruja," or The Sons of the Witch, after Santana, and set out to raise some hell. Santana’s sire tracked down his errant childe to eliminate him and start the experiment from scratch, but was surprised to find seven neonates where he expected only one. Caught off guard and overwhelmed by his childe and grandchilder, Santana’s sire was diablerized by the very man he had Embraced to start a war.

The diablerie of Santana’s sire set the tone for the bloodline’s conduct, all of whom found themselves marked by a supernaturally enhanced version of their founder’s legendary luck. The bloodline’s ranks grew, slowly but surely, until it had grown from a band of vampiric troublemakers to a criminal organization that engages in drug-trafficking, prostitution, gun-running, and smuggling both goods and people across the US-Mexico border. Their various venues attract both customers and recruits, but as their activities grow in scope and sordidness, the Bruja risk bringing the wrath of local and federal authorities down upon them and shattering the Masquerade.

In modern nights, the bloodline has struggled with the fact that its founder has seemingly abandoned his bloodline. One night in 2000, Santana announced to his coterie, which constituted the founding chapter of the Sons of the Witch, that he was stepping away from the Bruja, and would return at some unspecified time. Since then, the Bruja have grown ever more unruly. It’s only a matter of time until the Bruja devolve into something resembling modern-day Vikings, burning, murdering, and pillaging their way across the American Southwest, with more chapters popping up ever further from their point of origin. Perhaps Santana realized that this would happen, and washed his hands of his ill-begotten bloodline. Nevertheless, the Bruja endure, dedicating themselves to the debauchery that their founder indulged in during his living days.

The Becoming: The Bruja are ethnically diverse, boasting members of both sexes and of European, African, Latino, and mixed heritage. The gang have a strict policy when it comes to increasing their numbers: members who meet Final Death are replaced with mortals Embraced directly into the bloodline, typically bikers or career criminals who find the idea of immortality attractive; members who abandon the gang are replaced with Gangrel who are adopted into the bloodline. Bruja favor either Physical or Social Attributes, but Mental Attributes are almost always tertiary: the Bruja have a reputation for being physical juggernauts and charismatic monsters, but they have no interest in cerebral pursuits. Bruja typically favor Physical skills, with a Drive skill specialty for motorcycles being ubiquitous. Their bloodline gifts also makes purchasing the Riding the Wave Fighting Style merit a prudent choice.

In the Danse Macabre: The Bruja are a deeply insular group. Regional chapters tend to form self-contained coteries, but occasionally a Bruja may abandon his or her chapter and seek a new coterie in an established domain, and chapters may use members as liaisons to coteries they are in business with. The majority of Kindred view the Bruja as a curse, little better than wild animals who must be fended off. For their part, the Bruja are largely apolitical, preferring to rely on their chapter and the larger bloodline for support. These nights, most Bruja chapters have come to realize the usefulness of at least maintaining friendly relations with a covenant, especially ones that are opposed to the local Kindred authorities. The gospel of inhumanity and indulgence that the Circle of the Crone preaches makes it an attractive covenant to ally or even join; the Acolytes conversely wonder if there may be some truth in Santana’s nickname. Bruja who have more political inclinations, or learn the circumstances of their bloodline’s formation, find themselves drawn to the Carthian Movement, and Firebrands who provide a local chapter of the Bruja with a sufficiently long leash find that Santana’s sire was actually on to something.

Bloodline Bane: Carlos “Bruja” Santana was a vice-ridden man in life, always seeking to sate his appetites for food, booze, drugs, or women. So insatiable was Santana that his gluttony affected his bloodline, forming his bloodline’s bane. When faced with Frenzy caused by hunger, a Bruja caps his dice pool to resist at his Humanity -3.

Clan: Gangrel

Nickname: Lucky Bastards/Bitches (polite), Rabble (impolite)

Bloodline Disciplines: Animalism, Protean, Resilience, Vigor

Bloodline Gift: Suerte de Bruja
    Whether Carlos Santana’s legendary luck was a freak of probability or skill on his part, undeath raised it to supernatural levels, and the Embrace spread it to his bloodline. Once per chapter, a Bruja can choose to treat a dramatic failure as a success. Additionally, each Bruja receives the Untouchable merit (CoD pg. 56) upon joining the bloodline, regardless of whether they normally qualify for it.

Throw Down
    While all Gangrel are more in-tune with their Beast than other Kindred, the Bruja are practically buddies with it, and are remarkably skilled at invoking their Beast and riding the wave. When a Bruja spends Willpower points in his rolls to ride the wave, he adds them to his dice pool.
    Last edited by Haberdasher; 08-01-2017, 09:40 PM.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Looks good and the updated weakness does seem fitting with their obvious lack of self-control. One thing that perplexed me ever since I discovered the meaning of the word though, is why they went with the name Bruja for physical bruisers. It means Witch in Spanish, which does NOT describe these guys or their VTM counterparts at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rathamus View Post
      Looks good and the updated weakness does seem fitting with their obvious lack of self-control. One thing that perplexed me ever since I discovered the meaning of the word though, is why they went with the name Bruja for physical bruisers. It means Witch in Spanish, which does NOT describe these guys or their VTM counterparts at all.
      I always assumed that the "j" in "Brujah" was pronounced as in "gymnasium." As for the VTR name... I realized that I forgot to put a little line that the gang that the bloodline makes up is formally referred to as The Sons of the Witch, or Hijos de la Bruja, in Spanish- which I just corrected. Of course, that's a bit of a mouthful, so I assume that at some point, it got shortened to just "Bruja" in conversation. And I also had them get along well with the Acolytes, because as the 1e corebook put it, "it means something, man."

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

Working...
      X