Bloodline Conversion- Toreador

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline Conversion- Toreador

Hey everybody! Haberdasher here with another bloodline conversion. This week, I'm presenting the last bloodline from the Requiem 1e corebook: the Toreador. Of all my conversions up until now, with the exception of the Erzsébet, the Toreador changed most in tone and function. It mostly came about because I wanted a mechanical way to represent their bloodline bane, rather than just "pick some form of art; you get enraptured when you see it." So as I was thinking, I went back to the quote I had written for them. Originally, I had intended for it to be some sire trying to get their childe to do better at the sire's preferred art style or something, but I keyed in on the idea of a sire working their childe night after night to get better at something- anything, really. Just so long as they are trying to be the best at it.

So the Toreador changed from a reference to the Masquerade Toreador to crazy perfectionist Daeva artists who still get enraptured when somebody does well at their particular talent, and get really, really angry when somebody fails at it. The bloodline blessing is pretty simple, and may seem a little overpowered, but I think the narrow applicability keeps it manageable, and reflects the fact that the Toreador are really, really good at one particular thing, which is reflected by the fact that its easier for them to get exceptional successes at it.

As always, leave thoughts and comments. Enjoy!

Bloodline Conversion- Toreador
    No. Do it again. I don’t care that you’ve been at it for three hours. How many history books are written about people who were just “good enough”? That’s right, none. The only way anybody will ever know who you are is to be the absolute best at what you do.

All clans have their paragons, Kindred who perfectly embody its essential nature. How fortunate are the Daeva that they have an entire bloodline of paragons? The Daeva are naturally alluring creatures who embody desire: physical beauty, silver tongues, scintillating wit; the Toreador embody the perfection of these traits. Beauty, skill, athleticism: these are all things to be celebrated and emulated- and if emulation is impossible, than criticism is the next best thing. Centuries spent honing their chosen skill has left the Toreador with keen appreciation for those who have also mastered it… and centuries of facing criticism on the path to mastery has left the Toreador without patience for anything that falls short of perfection, and deep-seated hatred for anything they deem “ugly.”

Background: The Toreador date to the early years of the 18th century. Their founder was a member of the Castillejo noble family, and a contemporary and rival of Francisco Romero, the founder of modern bullfighting. Castillejo may have rivaled Romero in skill and talent had he not been Embraced. Castillejo adapted quickly to his undead nature, and quickly ingratiated himself to the Invictus of Seville with his looks and charm. Castillejo continued to bullfight in secret for the entertainment of Seville’s First Estate until King Philip V declared bullfighting to be barbarous, and persuaded the Pope to threaten bullfighters with excommunication. Seville’s Sanctified Bishop, jealous of the fame that the upstart neonate had gained for himself in a few years, echoed the sentiment, and soon the Sanctified of Seville had pressured the First Estate to abstain from bullfighting.

Castillejo took the reversal of fortune in stride, and decided to dedicate himself to more conventional forms of beauty and artistry. He travelled Europe as a student of the arts, and in time, his endeavors won the admiration of Daeva across the continent. Eventually, Castillejo and his Serpent devotees became known as los Toreros, in reference to Castillejo’s former profession. When Castillejo made childer of his own, he was surprised to learn that they had an innate knowledge of Dominate, a discipline he had learned from a Venetian Ventrue who had been his music teacher and lover. With these childer, the Bullfighters ceased to merely be a band of like-minded Daeva, and became a true bloodline. The bloodline’s modern name did not come about until March 3, 1875, when Castillejo and his favorite childe attended the premier of Carmen at the Opéra-Comique in Paris. So impressed were they with the performance of Jacques Bouhy as Escamillo, that Castillejo decided to rechristen los Toreros as the Toreador, in honor of the word Bizet had invented to fit the melody of his opera.

Over a century has passed since that day, and Castillejo finds himself weary and jaded. The rise of modernism and post-modernism as a reaction to the bloodshed of the 20th century confused him, and he now finds himself left behind in a world that sneers at the artistic ideals of his early years. He has withdrawn to a secluded haven in the mountains of Andalusia, awaiting the day when the principles of the Enlightenment will be Embraced once more, and he may once again travel the world as he once did. In the meantime, his bloodline continues to thrive in the great cities of the world. Some seek out great minds to Embrace; others work feverishly to perfect a craft and leave their mark on it.

The Becoming: Daeva are concerned with being noticed, with being adored; Toreador are concerned with being talented. A pretty face and winning smile are worthless if the mind behind them is sluggish and unimaginative. Originally, the Toreador were uniformly Hispanic or Italian in ethnicity; now, they Embrace anybody they deem to show a spark of true creative genius. The beautiful pianist who mesmerizes her audience with just a few measures; the small, unassuming man with the voice of a lion; the swordsman who wields a blade with the artistry of a paint brush: all are worthy candidates for the Embrace. Daeva who petition to join the bloodline face close scrutiny to determine if their talents reach the level of ability expected of a Toreador. Toreador are just as susceptible to Embraces of passion or remorse as other Daeva, but both sire and childe can face significant judgment, especially if the childe is deemed to be too ungifted, and thus is seen as soiling the bloodline’s reputation.

Social Attributes are almost always primary, but priority can vary based on an individual Toreador’s area of focus. Among the Mental Attributes, Wits and Resolve are usually valued more than raw Intelligence, but Toreador are never weaker, clumsier, or less intelligent than the average person. Social Skills are typically primary, particularly Expression, Socialize, and Intimidation. Merits like Status, Herd, and Haven reflect the comfortable and privileged existences that the Toreador lead.

in The Danse Macabre: Toreador are usually defined by the pursuit of their talents, so they see little reason in forming formal hierarchies that distract from these pursuits. Toreador occasionally gather together in small groups called salons, which are always headed by the eldest Toreador in the domain. These salons are informal affairs, and typically form to deal with a common threat, or to castigate a common irritant. In the wider All-Night Society, Toreador’s skills usually lead them to positions of social consequence, and many end up as Masters of Elysium or Harpies, or as local leaders in their chosen covenant. The Invictus’ echoes of feudal social structure and emphasis on meritocracy attracts many Toreador, who hail from a time when titles of nobility were actually of consequence. Others, however, decide that the limits of the Curse is also a form of imperfection, and so they join the Ordo Dracul, throwing themselves at the Coils of the Dragon with the same passion and dedication that they devote to their skills.

Clan: Daeva

Nickname: Patrons

Bloodline Bane: The Toreador are obsessed with perfection. Whenever somebody excels at their chosen field, Toreador are enraptured; when somebody fails at their chosen field, they are enraged to the point of frenzy. At character creation, a Toreador selects a skill that they have at least three dots and a skill specialty in. Whenever somebody else achieves an exceptional success in that same skill and skill specialty, the Toreador must reflexively roll Resolve + Composure to avoid becoming fixated on the act or work. If the Toreador becomes fixated, she is unable to take any action other than watch or listen to the source of the fixation, and must spend a point of Willpower, take damage, or have the performance or object removed from sensory range. Additionally, whenever somebody rolls a dramatic failure in the Toreador’s skill and skill specialty, she must roll to resist anger frenzy.

Bloodline Disciplines: Celerity, Dominate, Majesty, Vigor

Bloodline Gift: Golden Touch
    The Toreador seek after perfection; fortunately for them, it comes naturally. Whenever a Toreador attempts a roll that utilizes her chosen skill specialty, she achieves an exceptional success at three successes rather than at five successes.
    Last edited by Haberdasher; 09-26-2016, 05:18 PM. Reason: Added details of fixation under Bloodline Bane

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Love them. Great reimagining and update of the bloodline with a nice focus.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Thanks! I'm finding that I prefer bloodlines without a unique discipline, since it gives me more freedom to design gifts that fit their theme. With the 1e corebook bloodlines done, I'm going to start on the clan book bloodlines. Since I already converted the Erzsébet, I'll be skipping straight to the Gangrel book- I have some ideas for the bloodlines there that I think are both flavorful and appropriate for them.

Comment

Looking forward to that.

Comment

Am I the only one imagining two Toreador bare-knuckle boxing masters slowly falling in "love" with each other as the beauty of the nuanced crunching of bone enraptures their preternatural obsession? Or Toreador fencers running each other through as bloodlessly as stabbing straw scarecrows with brilliant flourishes of glinting steel?
          Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 09-27-2016, 07:10 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
          "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
            Am I the only one imagining two Toreador bare-knuckle boxing masters slowly falling in "love" with each other as the beauty of the nuanced crunching of bone enraptures their preternatural obsession? Or Toreador fencers running each other through as bloodlessly as stabbing straw scarecrows with brilliant flourishes of glinting steel?
            Now you're getting it.

Comment

Great job. You captured the Bloodline's passion and drive without making a shallow mockery of them... a point so many Toreador seem to miss. Take my like, sir, and i wish i could give you more than one. I'll have them in my game, for sure.

Userhat Aegpts Vlrs. Coren "Ojos de Fuego". Mithrael. Menehet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Sane View Post
                  This made my day.

Take my like, sir, and i wish i could give you more than one. I'll have them in my game, for sure.
                  Thank you kindly.

Comment

Working...
                  X