Carthian-Ruled Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Resplendent Fire View Post

The Wiki says they moved to Bellingham in 79 but I didn't read on to see when they moved to Redmond. Microsoft's definitely going to be an important thing in the chronicle. Important to the domain as well as the city.

That's Bellevue, not Bellingham. Bellevue is the bigger city right next to Redmond. Bellingahm is a few hours north, almost Canada.

FYI, I am a Seattle area local (I work in Redmond, not at Microsoft but nearby) and know demon really well. Feel free to tag me if you have questions about the area or Demon's Seattle setting.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

That's Bellevue, not Bellingham. Bellevue is the bigger city right next to Redmond. Bellingahm is a few hours north, almost Canada.

FYI, I am a Seattle area local (I work in Redmond, not at Microsoft but nearby) and know demon really well. Feel free to tag me if you have questions about the area or Demon's Seattle setting.
      Sometimes my brain swaps similar words on me. Something like paraphasia, but not severe.

And thanks, I may very well have questions for you in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Resplendent Fire View Post

Sometimes my brain swaps similar words on me. Something like paraphasia, but not severe.

And thanks, I may very well have questions for you in the near future.

Oh yeah, no problem. Just pointing out that Microsoft was actually closer to Seattle proper between 79 and 86 rather than farther away. Not by a whole lot, Redmond isn't very big and Microsoft is on the Bellevue side of it. Also, there are now Microsoft buildings in Bellevue and Seattle as well, not sure when they put them in though.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

Oh yeah, no problem. Just pointing out that Microsoft was actually closer to Seattle proper between 79 and 86 rather than farther away. Not by a whole lot, Redmond isn't very big and Microsoft is on the Bellevue side of it. Also, there are now Microsoft buildings in Bellevue and Seattle as well, not sure when they put them in though.
          It is good to know, at least.

I do have a question - what's up with this Seattle Freeze thing in Splintered Seattle? I tried googling but got some questions with uninformative answers.

Comment

Basically, its a name (not something that is actually used much around here but I've heard it from outsiders) for the passive, faux-polite brush off busy people in Seattle tend to do. It's similar to other west coast platitudes about meeting someone later. Essentially, let's say you see a person you know when you are grabbing your morning latte and you have a short exchange of pleasantries and then they say that 'you two should catch-up sometime, have coffee or a drink' but then you will never hear from them. I have also heard it explained that it is not really intended to be rude, its just that Seattlites tend to be very busy and work obsessed people, so they never get around to calling you up.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

what's interesting to me is that neighborhoods that appeal to influential mortals might not be prime havens for vampires. I think elders would be looking for that sweet spot between herd density and political influence.

A poor neighborhood that houses the city's historically black colleges might not be an appealing place for well-to-do-mortals to buy a home, but the high population density, lack of police patrols, and access to the brightest up-and-coming intellectuals would make it fallow ground for an elder to roost in. Similarly, an area that houses a lot of workers who labor for the city's largest industry might be poor and rundown but also gives an enterprising vampire the potential to greatly influence the local labor unions.

On the other side of the coin, you have a rich suburb that hosts some well-to-do mortals but is also far from the political levers of the city, more tightly patrolled, and more sparsely populated. This might be the kind of territory that princes and council members rent out to trusted vassals. I think younger vampires are more likely to jump at the possibility of living somewhere with mortal prestige whereas elders are more likely to take a pragmatic approach to where they establish themselves.

Then there's the vast stretches of blighted territory that are of little use to anyone which are probably filled with kindred squatters, coteries, and outlaws. Still, these places have their own value for creative kindred. A cardinal of the Lancaea Sanctum, a recruiter for the Circle of the Crone, or an anarchist firestarter in the Carthians could make great use of the populations here.
              Last edited by dxanders; 10-18-2016, 08:00 PM.

Comment

So in my Carthians-over-threw-the-Invictus in Portland Oregon

(I am actually running a Longview Washington Game <in that the game begins as an Innocents game in Longview Washington> but am populating the surrounding world so it isn't something I need to do on the fly when the PCs leave their little isolated area)

It works like this:

Within the Portland Protectorate (not to be confused for or affiliated with the werewolf term) are three branches of Government, Executive, Legislative and Judicial. Keeping with the principle of separation of power, each Kindred may only hold One Office at a time and forfeits a previously held Office by accepting a new one.

The Judicial the strongest Branch as they arbitrate conflicts between vampires, and make rulings on the guilt of vampires who transgress against the law. There are three Reeves who are always Carthians which is the entirety of the Judicial Branch and is very much a triumvirate. They also set the standards for the Competitions by which Councilors of Domains are chosen, and collectively count ballets in all elections. When society is ruled by laws, as Carthian society is, it is the judges that wield final authority. They hold the positions are as long as they are able to carry out the duties of the office, and should one be torpored or meet Final Death, the remaining Reeve(s) would select the most appropriate Carthian replacement(s) from the Legislative Branch. This has never happened, nor has the entire Judicial Branch been wiped out, but if it was one of two things would happen, if the Carthians had enough strength to continue to enforce the rule of law then the Council of Domains nominates candidates by vote of hands, which would be confirmed by the Council of Covenants by vote of hands, or if the Carthians lacked the strength/support then the entire system would collapse.

There is a Sheriff who is the head of the Executive Branch and acts to investigate/punish for the Judicial Branch, and is elected by popular semi-open vote (Only the three Reeves see the Ballets) of the entire Portland Metro Area (minus Vancouver Washington) every score of years, subject to the Veto of the Judicial Branch, which must be Unanimous among the three to enact their right of Veto, and is usually done based on the Sheriff not being suitable to the tasks needed or actively hostile against the Carthian Movement. The Sheriff may have a single deputy from each official neighborhood within Portland and also one from each suburb town also controlled by the Portland Protectorate. The Sheriff is subject to punishments enacted by the Reeves both for overstepping authority and failing in her duties, and in kind has that authority over her deputies. The Sheriff and her deputies have the authority to apprehend anyone violating the law and bring them before the Judicial for judgment, and execute those found guilty of capital offenses, and ensure the penalties are carried out for lesser offenses.

The Legislative branch is the masterpiece of the entire system, it gives amazing power distributed and diluted to many petty tyrants and makes them jockey to maintain power, which keeps them invested in the current power scheme, while also keeping up-and-comers hopeful for their shot. The Legislative Branch is divided into two Councils, the Council of Domain and the Council of Covenants. Member of Councils go by the title Councilor, and the two different Councils bestow radically different powers upon their members.

Each Councilor of the Council of Domains holds power over and is responsible for a single official neighborhood of Portland or one of the suburb towns also controlled by the Portland Protectorate. They alone hold the right to grant feeding privileges or safe haven within the section of the Protectorate they oversee, with squatting or poaching being serious offenses which is punishable with increasing severity based on the number and gravity of offenses, according to the guidelines in the Law and discretion of the Reeves. Specifically the guidelines for types of offenses hold the Councilor in charge of the neighborhood or suburb town the beneficiary to with fines are paid and “community service” is levied for. Frequently a Councilor of the Council of Domains with curry favor with the Deputy of their area, the Sheriff, the Reeves, other Councilors, and various powerful individuals with prime selection of Safe Haven and Feeding Grounds, which are defined via the Official Plat Map for both clarity and ambiguity.

The Councilor of the Council of Domains is responsible the beneficial for Kindred condition of their neighborhood or suburb town, and the city’s Kindred population in general. This applies to non-Kindred facets of the Protectorate, like the local mortal economy, homeless populations, club scenes, apparent lack of violent crime, and ease of maintaining the masquerade. Kindred are governed by the Law, and thus an appropriate Deputy and the Sheriff handle those matters. It is true that a Councilor from the Council of Domains almost always accomplishes their responsibilities by deals and alliances with other Kindred, but it is their head on the chopping block if they fail. Councilors of the Council of Domains Register all Feeding Grounds and Safe Havens they bestow with the Reeves and the appropriate Councilor from the Council of Covenants. In addition to controlling Feeding Grounds and Safe Havens, all Laws of the Protectorate originate in the Council of Domains, and must meet a four-fifths majority before being passed to the Council of Covenants.

The members of the Council of Domains earn their position competing in a contest set by the Reeves to demonstrate capacity to steward and manage the area, and must re-compete as which domain is hosting the contest cycles, in a set order adding newly annexed suburbs next in the roster. Contest have ranged from demonstrating the most control over some mortal institution(s) that is relevant to managing the area, being the first to quell a particular problem for Kindred in the area. The first method favors the incumbent and the second put him on much more equal footing with his contenders, and thus it behooves the incumbent to leave no problems that can be turned into contest by the Reeves, and to maintain a firm grip on the human institutions that are the heart of his domain. The genius of the system is three fold, first the since there is one Domain in contest annually it keeps a constant opportunity for ambitious Kindred to claim their piece of the pie and ambitious kindred without opportunities are dangerous, secondly it keeps individual domain and the protectorate at large relatively stable because only a small sector may change in power structure, and it thirdly makes this Council a very diverse group of kindred as originators of the laws which means it is likely they’ll only be able to gather the needed consensus on absolute commonly essential laws.

The Council of Covenants has only five Councilors, one for each Covenant and who is voted in by preferential open ballet vote of the members of their Covenant, with every member of that Covenant with Havens or Feeding Grounds inside a Domain within the Portland Protectorate being listed as Candidates. Candidates may only withdrawal from the race by forfeit/abandoning their qualifying Haven/Feeding Grounds, entering Torpor, or by already holding another Office within the Protectorate. Each member of each Covenant who has qualifying Safe Havens or Feeding Grounds within the Portland Protectorate personally hands their ballet into the Reeves who keep them on record for those interested in knowing how each member voted. Votes occur on a rotating cycle on every four years starting in 1956 (Last four elections: 2000 Lance Sanctum, 2004 Circle of the Crone, 2008 Ordo Dracul, 2012 Carthian, 2016 Invictus, ect...). The primary power of the Councilors of the Council of Covenants is the ability to levy a minor favor called for the benefit of the Protectorate from each of the members of its Covenant that wasn’t disqualified as a candidate when they won Office. Frequently Councilors of the Council of Domains, Deputies, or even the Sheriff petition Councilors of the Council of Covenants to use this power to help them fulfill their duties.

Being assured voted in next term usually is a factor of balancing commanding respect for their authority over their Covenant and keeping a light touch at calling in the levy, and especially call in individual favors in a way that those doing the favor benefit from and enjoy the task. This cycle is about to complete for the third time this year. The Carthian Councilor position has never changed, which makes sense since the first elected Carthian was exceptionally politically savvy and the system was designed with their understanding of rule of law in mind The first elected Invictus Councilor was the former Gangrel Prince and was huge ineffective due to his direct violent temper/callously autocratic leadership and voted out after her first term. The current Invictus Councilor is far more Machiavellian and seems to be sealing a second term this year. The Lance Sanctum and Circle of the Crone have had major upsets during their last two elections after their initial incumbents won their first re-election, both of which reflect changes in their potential herds/blood cults. The Ordo Dracul seems elect their weakest and least experienced member each election cycle, who is then bullied into not asking too much in levies, with a rumor among other covenants that the last two cycles the Ordo Dracul Councilor was specifically newly embraced a week before the election to fulfill that role. Interestingly, the Ordo Dracul Councilor seems to mature quickly under the pressures, and thus always overqualified for a second term.

The second power that Councilors of the Council or Covenants is that all potential laws received from the Council of Domains must have a four-fifths majority to enacted as law. Third and finally every law on record is to be voted upon on the twentieth anniversary of being enacted into law and again have a four-fifths majority to remain in law (This does not apply to the original Protectorate Charter, but does apply to amendments).

Running about roughly 100 Vampire population to justify the complexity.
                Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 10-21-2016, 10:13 AM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
                  I like what I read but your two really really long paragraphs are difficult for me to get through. Could you add more paragraph breaks?

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

(I am actually running a Longview Washington Game <in that the game begins as an Innocents game in Longview Washington> but am populating the surrounding world so it isn't something I need to do on the fly when the PCs leave their little isolated area)

Running about roughly 100 Vampire population to justify the complexity.
                    Thank you for the paragraph breaks.

Thank you for the fully detailed rundown on how Portland works in your game. This gives me a lot to think about and more ideas to reach for. I especially like the details on how the kindred in the domain vote for offices. It is also making me rethink how I want to handle the council in Seattle. Also to put a lot more thought into neighborhoods.

I wish I had more of a response to do justice to your post but I'm still processing it.

I was originally going to run my game in Portland, but one of the players-to-be pushed for Seattle.

Comment

Working...
                    X