So...a werewhale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...a werewhale

Okay, so, I'm really not that familiar with Werewolf: The Forsaken, but recently I've been gaining some interest in it, particularly in an idea that has stuck with me for a bit. What is it? Well, just what the title of the thread states really - a werewhale, specifically an orca.

I am aware of the Brineborn, as well as The Colony thanks to the various games run by Baroness Nerak, but as far as I know a proper whale variant of the Uratha doesn't really exist...but then again I could just not be looking in the right places. I imagine that it wouldn't have claws, though definitely teeth, and a powerful body. Perhaps a dependency on being by the water, just like the Brineborn are? Probably involving thick limbs, if not digits.

Does anyone have any advice for someone interested in making and playing as such a beast?

What would their defining spiritual purpose be? Werewolves obviously have the Hunt, the Colony punishes evildoers, the Baal Hadad rule the masses, and so on. Maybe the whale-men are the aquatic counterparts ti the Baal Hadad?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

For some reason I'm thinking on sort of "quelling dissent", sort of making things uniform or preventing outbreaks of certain things. Applying pressure to certain figures/moods to make sure it doesn't reach too big a height, likely as a way to keep spirits from becoming too congregated in an area. Maybe the idea's from whale-song and how people normally find it soothing. Of course, that doesn't mean violence won't be an option for them - too much peace/calm in an area could cause the same issues that too much violence would.

I really should read more on this before I start positing. :-p Still, thanks for giving me something to attach to outside of the actual whale-form.

Comment

Hate to double post, but after reading a bit on the other shapeshifters (admitedly by using tvtropes) I have an idea for them. They are not like the Uratha, but instead of people who have found and hold remnants of "The True Lullabye", a song (possibly of a spirit) that existed in the time of Luna and Father Wolf, and fragmented upon being finished. Those who hold remnants of The True Lullabye hear it every so often when they sleep, usually at certain phases of the moon (it's positted that Luna enjoyed the tune and calls for it at certain points). Those who hold the fragments have the ability to become creatures who use sounds of their own - whales, dolphins porpoises and bats (initially they were confused by this but have come to accept them as being the tenor of the song) - and to view the world through it (echolocation).

The problem is that The True Lullabye's frequency (both its regular emergence in its holders' sleep and its unearthy tune) causes those who hold it to be extremely sensitive to sound, particularly speech, to the point that they can't even really stay in a room with a conversation going without gaining a terrible headache, much less stay in a city regularly. This tends to be aggrevated around the time they hear their fragment of the True Lullabye; in its Ebb, they can be around normal society for extended periods, if with some downtime, but in its Flow it has debilitating effects on them, and being debilitated when they slumber makes the True Lullabye torture. This is especially problematic because in spite of this sound issue making them hermits, they are extremely social creatures, and yet they can't even have extended conversations with a person unless it's in their Ebb. Some are unable to stand even their own voice, and are willingly mute for it.

Listening to another's heart is practically their version of a kiss - it is intimate, close, and has a comforting reminder of the True Lullabye (at least, when it's not a torture to sleep through).

They tend to get on well with the Uratha, and others who defer to Luna and Father Wolf. They just wish that the wolves wouldn't howl so much during the night. They terrify the Uratha when they go loud, however - a loud host of the True Lullabye only goes loud when it is in a death charge, and has no will to live any longer. They will die, they will kill any who is before them and they will damned make sure the world knows it.

...huh. That's a lot more than I came in with. Weird how rambling tends to get me going.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
          Hate to double post, but after reading a bit on the other shapeshifters (admitedly by using tvtropes) I have an idea for them. They are not like the Uratha, but instead of people who have found and hold remnants of "The True Lullabye", a song (possibly of a spirit) that existed in the time of Luna and Father Wolf, and fragmented upon being finished. Those who hold remnants of The True Lullabye hear it every so often when they sleep, usually at certain phases of the moon (it's positted that Luna enjoyed the tune and calls for it at certain points). Those who hold the fragments have the ability to become creatures who use sounds of their own - whales, dolphins porpoises and bats (initially they were confused by this but have come to accept them as being the tenor of the song) - and to view the world through it (echolocation).

The problem is that The True Lullabye's frequency (both its regular emergence in its holders' sleep and its unearthy tune) causes those who hold it to be extremely sensitive to sound, particularly speech, to the point that they can't even really stay in a room with a conversation going without gaining a terrible headache, much less stay in a city regularly. This tends to be aggrevated around the time they hear their fragment of the True Lullabye; in its Ebb, they can be around normal society for extended periods, if with some downtime, but in its Flow it has debilitating effects on them, and being debilitated when they slumber makes the True Lullabye torture. This is especially problematic because in spite of this sound issue making them hermits, they are extremely social creatures, and yet they can't even have extended conversations with a person unless it's in their Ebb. Some are unable to stand even their own voice, and are willingly mute for it.

Listening to another's heart is practically their version of a kiss - it is intimate, close, and has a comforting reminder of the True Lullabye (at least, when it's not a torture to sleep through).

They tend to get on well with the Uratha, and others who defer to Luna and Father Wolf. They just wish that the wolves wouldn't howl so much during the night. They terrify the Uratha when they go loud, however - a loud host of the True Lullabye only goes loud when it is in a death charge, and has no will to live any longer. They will die, they will kill any who is before them and they will damned make sure the world knows it.

...huh. That's a lot more than I came in with. Weird how rambling tends to get me going.
          I like this. Gives off that creepy, animalistic, cult-like feeling that I believe all shapechangers of the CofD should have.

Comment

Ok I like this concept but it reminds me of a joke from 8 Bit Theater. Episode 406
            "Zombie Orc? Really are the creators really that strained for ideas at this point? What is next? How about a buffalo elf? Or Vulture Whales
            Vulture Whale: GIVE ME BACK MY DIGNITY!"

Comment

It's probably just my love of nostalgia, but I'd really like to see something that ties back to the WoD's Rorqual.

Comment

The sensitivity of marine animals to noise pollution in the oceans is a major cause of concern in our times. Ship rotors, ultrasound sonar and other human devices can make frequencies humans are unable to hear, but that are absolute torture for certain animals, and interfere with their communication and movement patterns. Tying in with cWoD's Rorqual, perhaps the keepers of the Lullabye are meant to "purify" the oceans of these toxic influences of sound. A myth could be made where Father Wolf's war-howling cacophony was disturbing the oceans and creatures of sound, and the spirit that held the Lullabye got into a smack-down with him so that the ocean creatures could concentrate and everyone could sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikla Alkis View Post
                  The sensitivity of marine animals to noise pollution in the oceans is a major cause of concern in our times. Ship rotors, ultrasound sonar and other human devices can make frequencies humans are unable to hear, but that are absolute torture for certain animals, and interfere with their communication and movement patterns. Tying in with cWoD's Rorqual, perhaps the keepers of the Lullabye are meant to "purify" the oceans of these toxic influences of sound. A myth could be made where Father Wolf's war-howling cacophony was disturbing the oceans and creatures of sound, and the spirit that held the Lullabye got into a smack-down with him so that the ocean creatures could concentrate and everyone could sleep.
                  Hmmm, that's an idea. There could also be myths about how various fragments may be lost in the oceans of the world, in its rivers, lakes and peninsulas (the bat-kin still need to go somewhere, if they make the cut ), which prompts them to start exploring the bodies of water for even the faintest hint of the lullabye. The tide ebbs and flows like the song does.

Comment

Look at Changing Breeds. It's pretty much perfect for what you're asking for.

Dragon Rekindled: The Oroboroi Chronicles.
                    The official reboot of Dragon: The Embers.

Comment

Originally posted by RockstarRaccoon View Post
                      Look at Changing Breeds. It's pretty much perfect for what you're asking for.
                      First time I've ever heard someone suggest actually using the book... War Against the Pure's rules for making shapeshifters are considerably better.

Comment

Does "War Against The Pure" work for 2e? Also, I have seen a lot of dismay towards "Changing Breeds", but why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                          Does "War Against The Pure" work for 2e?
                          It'd probably need some tweaking (and expanding for my tastes), but then so would Changing Breeds.

Also, I have seen a lot of dismay towards "Changing Breeds", but why is that?
                          Well, there's the bestially issue, the completely broken balance issues, the hamfisted ecoterrorism, the fact the book thinks humanity is evil because we can use tools, the fetishism of animals, Nature with a capital N becomes an entity again after Werewolf went out of it's way to keep that sort of W:tA stuff out of CofD, the fact it has horrible flavour throughout, the rules for making new breeds in the book actually tell you to use War Against the Pure, that it decides that Uratha are a type of Feral... take your pick...

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                            It'd probably need some tweaking (and expanding for my tastes), but then so would Changing Breeds.

Well, there's the bestially issue, the completely broken balance issues, the hamfisted ecoterrorism, the fact the book thinks humanity is evil because we can use tools, the fetishism of animals, Nature with a capital N becomes an entity again after Werewolf went out of it's way to keep that sort of W:tA stuff out of CofD, the fact it has horrible flavour throughout, the rules for making new breeds in the book actually tell you to use War Against the Pure, that it decides that Uratha are a type of Feral... take your pick...
                            Duly noted. But I'll take your earlier suggestion to look into "War Against The Pure" for rules on crafting new shapeshifters. I've not played Werewolf in any capacity, new or old school, but this project speaks to me for some reason...

Comment

Not exactly a whale nor marine, but the Boto or Encantados are magical shapeshifting river dolphins from South American myths.

Comment

Working...
                              X