Advice on antagonist idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on antagonist idea

I came up with an idea for an antagonist for Werewolf and i want to know how i can make it work. My basic idea is a media company like Turner Broadcasting that serves the Maeljin. Any suggestions?

Well, Maeljins are Uber-Infernal-Spirits. And Spirits, generally, create henchmens in cults, lesser spirits, Claimed and sometimes werewolves. Prepare examples of those, and you have nice chronicles antagonists for all the Tribes in PCs pack.

Free roaming ideas:
    Maeljin - Pseulak ( Deception ) or Lamashtu ( Pride ) - I would rather go with Lamashtu as vanity is great thing to explore with news network
    Cult - Reporters and technicians dedicated to working for Maeljin. You do not need whole network to be initiated - only few key figures of it. Lamashtu followers are interesting as they treat their relation as business partners - so they would have much more personality of their own.
    Lesser spirits - Depending on Maeljin.
    Werewolves - Proper Bale Hounds are all in order. If you need source of them, Blasphemies book have great lore on them.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-20-2016, 01:44 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

I actually think a media network serving Pseulak makes more since. But, who says they can't serve both? Also, would it be safe to assume that some Bale Hounds are in the company's upper management. Finally, how do you think a media network would make interesting prey for a forsaken pack to tackle?

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
        I actually think a media network serving Pseulak makes more since. But, who says they can't serve both?
        Logic - working for two Maeljin masters means, in reality, two opposing cults, co-working on one goal. It is doable on short term, but cults will quickly shatter on this, fighting on resources and power.

Also, would it be safe to assume that some Bale Hounds are in the company's upper management.
        It's more than realistic - if there is werewolf near the cult, he will quickly assume ring leader position, just by sheer power. He literally can tear to shreds any opposition in cult.

Finally, how do you think a media network would make interesting prey for a forsaken pack to tackle?
        By being infested by Maeljin cultists? Really, it's self working scenario I myself used for Werewolf 2E with it's Sacred Prey paradigm - Maeljin cult is challenge for every Moon Tribe or even Pure ones. Spirits servant are taken by Bone Shadows, Bale Hounds werewolves are for Blood Talons, human cult is for Iron Masters and some Claimed in it work as folly for Storm Lords. The only Tribe left behind is Hunters in Darkness, but I think that showing how cult is spreading on territory of PC pack would be enough to stir them - show how Maeljin powers create Wounds that spread it's influence on land and people, and they will be on deck. Add some Host working with deal on the Maeljin cult on Shadow, and you have antagonist for whole pack!
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-20-2016, 11:36 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
        My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
        MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Logic - working for two Maeljin masters means, in reality, two opposing cults, co-working on one goal. It is doable on short term, but cults will quickly shatter on this, fighting on resources and power.

It's more than realistic - if there is werewolf near the cult, he will quickly assume ring leader position, just by sheer power. He literally can tear to shreds any opposition in cult.

By being infested by Maeljin cultists? Really, it's self working scenario I myself used for Werewolf 2E with it's Sacred Prey paradigm - Maeljin cult is challenge for every Moon Tribe or even Pure ones. Spirits servant are taken by Bone Shadows, Bale Hounds werewolves are for Blood Talons, human cult is for Iron Masters and some Claimed in it work as folly for Storm Lords. The only Tribe left behind is Hunters in Darkness, but I think that showing how cult is spreading on territory of PC pack would be enough to stir them - show how Maeljin powers create Wounds that spread it's influence on land and people, and they will be on deck. Add some Host working with deal on the Maeljin cult on Shadow, and you have antagonist for whole pack!
          Yeah, i can see how having two master's can cause fighting within the company. Also, the company could spread corruption through it's broadcasts, the most viewed being a news show called World Network with Dan Copper. In reality, Dan is possessed with a spirit of deceit. Also, the company would be frustrating to take down for one reason, a media company like them being suddenly knocked off the air would be very suspicious to the local authorities.

Comment

I'd run with something less extreme than the Maeljin. Instead, my first inclination would be a company that has been taken over by a cabal of Claimed, who are using some sort of occult wavelength/frequency in their company's broadcasts to open viewers'/listeners' minds to spiritual influence or possession. This can serve as a relatively subtle problem initially, visible as a gradually growing number of Claimed manifestations occurring, while the cabal slowly fine-tune their occult technology as time passes. Eventually, if left unchecked, you end up with broadcasts that shunt viewers straight to the Open Condition and that are actually carriers for spirits packaged ready to slot straight onto the human vessel; or targeted basilisk hacks; or other cyberpunk memetic horrors.

- Chris Allen
            Freelance Writer, The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
              I'd run with something less extreme than the Maeljin. Instead, my first inclination would be a company that has been taken over by a cabal of Claimed, who are using some sort of occult wavelength/frequency in their company's broadcasts to open viewers'/listeners' minds to spiritual influence or possession. This can serve as a relatively subtle problem initially, visible as a gradually growing number of Claimed manifestations occurring, while the cabal slowly fine-tune their occult technology as time passes. Eventually, if left unchecked, you end up with broadcasts that shunt viewers straight to the Open Condition and that are actually carriers for spirits packaged ready to slot straight onto the human vessel; or targeted basilisk hacks; or other cyberpunk memetic horrors.
              Actually, I think that idea could work better than the Maeljin.

Comment

I got a question though. Would the other employees of the company know that their new bosses are claimed or no?

Comment

Actually, I think that idea could work better than the Maeljin.

"What is the frequency, Kenneth!"

I don't see why you wouldn't stack the antagonists: put the Maeljin behind the spiritual tech and the cabal of Claimed as subsidiary studios rebroadcasting.

"Welcome to WSPR, fellow travelers! We'll bring you all the news you need to move, and all the music to move you to need. Trance with me: I'm Deb of Night and together we'll be up. All. Night."

BTW there are some old "Chick tracts" along these lines if you care to research. I think the idea was of occulting 8-track tapes to carry destructive spiritual influences.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

"What is the frequency, Kenneth!"

I don't see why you wouldn't stack the antagonists: put the Maeljin behind the spiritual tech and the cabal of Claimed as subsidiary studios rebroadcasting.

"Welcome to WSPR, fellow travelers! We'll bring you all the news you need to move, and all the music to move you to need. Trance with me: I'm Deb of Night and together we'll be up. All. Night."

BTW there are some old "Chick tracts" along these lines if you care to research. I think the idea was of occulting 8-track tapes to carry destructive spiritual influences.

--Khanwulf
                    That is a good idea. Which Maeljin seems most fitting for a media firm?

Comment

Pseulak, the Minister of Deception. Alternatively Carnala, Lady of Lust or Maastrac, Master of Envy.

There's a lot of layers between Maeljin and cultist, you wouldn't necessarily have to have a Maeljin in charge, a high-ranking spirit lieutenant, a Maeltinet, might do.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        Pseulak, the Minister of Deception. Alternatively Carnala, Lady of Lust or Maastrac, Master of Envy.

There's a lot of layers between Maeljin and cultist, you wouldn't necessarily have to have a Maeljin in charge, a high-ranking spirit lieutenant, a Maeltinet, might do.
                        They could serve either Carnala or Pseulak. I also had the idea of them serving the selfish three who are comprised of Baalphegor, Mammon and Carnala.

Comment

I had a Bale Hound NPC who served the Selfish Three, it went well but was definitely more of a stealing and cult type.

It depends on the network, you know? Lust would fit if the media gets your blood up, deception if they're promising something one can't get, like many tv shows.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                            I had a Bale Hound NPC who served the Selfish Three, it went well but was definitely more of a stealing and cult type.

It depends on the network, you know? Lust would fit if the media gets your blood up, deception if they're promising something one can't get, like many tv shows.
                            Well the network is comprised of many television channels so I figured the Selfish Three would be fitting. But, i think deception would fit the most.

Comment

Working...
                            X