Idea Pitch - Ananasi Lodge as Infastructure Hunters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea Pitch - Ananasi Lodge as Infastructure Hunters

So I loved oWoD Ananasi, and I have been thinking about modeling their shadow society as a Lodge.

One of the things that stuck out to me in their sourcebook was how the Wyrm isn't the real enemy--instead the Weaver is sick.

If we translate that to CofD...

What if, in times lost, the Ananasi were on the God Machine's recycling duty. After the God Machine was done with something, the Ananasi would store what they can for later use, repurpose what they can to benefit the world, and destroy what they can't.

Then one day the God Machine did things that the queen mother didn't like. The Ananasi were promoted to identifying and deciding whether infastructure was a good idea. Spin some break away story where the God Machine started getting sick, citing Demons as evidence (in vague terms).

It would be unclear if the spirit mother of the ananasi (and totem) was something made by the God Machine for this purpose, or if she was part of some long forgotten relationship between the God Machine and the Hisil.

In modern times the Ananasi hunt down structures and systems--primarily infastructure.

I say go for it.

Though for clarity's sake, it would make more sense for them to hunt occult matrices, then perhaps Infrastructure from there. The reason is, Infrastructure has no inherent value or power to anything but the God-Machine, as when set up Infrastructure forms an occult matrix. You could argue it's like spinning a web, with Infrastructure being just lone threads and the matrix being the 'web' that's formed by their interconnections but that's a bit of a reach.

Comment

I thought occult matrix and infastructure were interchangable. Whats an example of an occult matrix that isnt infastructure?

That may be better.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulGambit View Post
        I thought occult matrix and infastructure were interchangable. Whats an example of an occult matrix that isnt infastructure?
        A lot of people get that mixed up. From one of the writer, Dave Brookshaw, ''"Infrastructure" in the stopgap thread means the two precise terms in Demon - the Condition Angels rely on, and the mystical marking of items that the God-Machine then uses in an occult matrix to generate a supernatural effect.

It does not mean the common fan-use of "Infrastructure" to mean "God-Machine Project".

To be clear -

When the God-Machine wants something to happen, it manipulates items and people that meet criteria only it really understands (Infrastructure) into a pattern (Occult Matrix) that then generates an effect (Output).'

You need Infrastructure to have an occult matrix, but Infrastructure on its own is nothing. It's the way Infrastructure is set up and positioned that allows an occult matrix to form. For instance lets say there's a gas station in the middle of nowhere with a mailbox out front. Every month they get a new batch of silly postcards. Every week someone drives through, picks up a postcard, and mails it back home. The postcards aren't magical, either is the gas station, the mailbox, or anything involved with it. They're just postcards, a gas station and a mailbox. But for some reason, the fact that this happens allows an occult matrix to be formed by the God-Machine. This matrix then, say, creates analyst angels which then spread across the highway and track people driving through.

Comment

I'm all for the hunting Occult Matrices as I do not want to mix Werewolf with Demon elements, like whole Infrastrucures and angels with them - on the other hand, looking for weird coincidenses giving power and effects is really cool idea for 'Prey' of Ananasi Lodge. Just leave angels and demons from it.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
          MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
          WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

I think you're mixing up the terms. Occult Matrices are made out of Infrastructure. While Infrastructure might lie dormant and unused for periods of time, Occult Matrices is one or several parts of Infrastructure in use meaning Angels are a lot more likely to keep tabs on it, and Demons a lot more likely to want to tamper with it.

Comment

So it looks like practically speaking, they hunt and repurpose Infastructure that may or may not be used in occult matricies at the time.

Make the Blessing include an unseen sense [Occult Matrix] to push them into conflict with *actively in use* infastructure and let the ST infodump as needed. [NOTE: Blessing should include something they can be proactive with and slightly more general in application. Unseem Sense (Plot my ST would give me anyways) is of low value]

Ban I'm unsure of. The totem will probably be one of the first children of the mythical queen spider mother that definately probably isnt the dark mother.

Ideally its something that brings the themes of the lodge into everyday RP / other hunts and lampshades the idea that maybe the spirit is just super ambitious. It shouldnt link directly to infastructure since the spirit is a spider spirit, not an infastructure spirit...

Ill think on it.

Oh benefits should be Lodge Connections and some rituals that use or repurpose infastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                I'm all for the hunting Occult Matrices as I do not want to mix Werewolf with Demon elements, like whole Infrastrucures and angels with them - on the other hand, looking for weird coincidenses giving power and effects is really cool idea for 'Prey' of Ananasi Lodge. Just leave angels and demons from it.
                How long can a Lodge specialized in stealing/breaking the God Machine 's toys get away with it? As far I know, anyone who gets into the Machine 's shit list is fucked (Demons get away because they have special abilities to avoid detection... and even they must be very, very careful).

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post

How long can a Lodge specialized in stealing/breaking the God Machine 's toys get away with it? As far I know, anyone who gets into the Machine 's shit list is fucked (Demons get away because they have special abilities to avoid detection... and even they must be very, very careful).
                  That long how ST does not introduce God Machine himself. "Weird coincidence science' were part of CoD line from 1E Main Rulebook ( there where story about it ), it just later been connected with God Machine in Demon line.

I'm do not say that Lodge would not hunt GMAngels and GMDemons - but it should work also without them, on Occult Matrixes alone, like I would ran it.
                  Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-24-2016, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Your insistence on not adding/introducing the God Machine seems rather unhelpful as its connection to the lodge's activity is posited in the very first post. If your lodge is breaking up Occult Matrices as they are being formed then there will be consequences. From a player perspective "weird shit just happens and we stop it by breaking seemingly random things" is hardly a satisfying experience to build a chronicle around. It may work for a one off story but falls flat like "monster of the week" TV shows do when there isn't an overarching plot those episodes feed into.

Raistlin raises a point that needs to be considered if SoulGambit wants to run a coherent campaign for their players. A lodge that decides to antagonize the God Machine and is aware of its existence had best have methods for dealing with the inevitable consequences or it's a lodge that won't exist for very long.

The unpredictable natures of werewolves (from the GM's perspective) is a specific reason the GM doesn't rely on their use in its projects. Play that up, make that one of the lodge's strengths and defenses. I would definitely recommend that membership in the lodge precludes holding onto any territory, this seems like a lodge that would require a transient lifestyle and guerilla fighter mentality to stay in existence.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                    Posts in this color are moderator posts
                    Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                    Forum Terms of Use
                    the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksider View Post
                      Your insistence on not adding/introducing the God Machine seems rather unhelpful as its connection to the lodge's activity is posited in the very first post. If your lodge is breaking up Occult Matrices as they are being formed then there will be consequences. From a player perspective "weird shit just happens and we stop it by breaking seemingly random things" is hardly a satisfying experience to build a chronicle around. It may work for a one off story but falls flat like "monster of the week" TV shows do when there isn't an overarching plot those episodes feed into.
                      If you are not having God Machine in your game world, you still stop weird occurrences that could lead to unpredictable results on your territory - so taking out Occult Matrices on their own is still beneficial for werewolves.

And not always you introduce whole Lodges Prey to the chronicle - you will not talk me that if one player is choosing Thousand Steel Teeth suddenly all Pack will do only duguthim on roads, especially as other players choose other Lodges. All PCs Lodges should be incorporated in the game, but on various degrees they will work in particular chronicle plot.

Making God Machine direct and only enemy of Ananasi Lodge will 'steal spotlight' from other PCs enemies in longer play, as fight with him will be all time consuming to whole Pack, just from game world perspective. Of course, fighting GM should be option, but I point that Ananasi's idea works still fine when centering on Occult Matcies alone, with few of them making direct threat to God Machine itself, as more rebellious members of main Lodge.
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-24-2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Okay, off the top of my head how this could work. Queen Ananasa is/was an angel tasked with using werewolves to accomplish God-Machine requirements. As part of this, it studied werewolves and learned enough about their culture to learn of packs. At first it simply arranged to convince a pack to take it as a totem, and guided that pack towards fulfilling its missions. Though moderately successful, it quickly realised the limitations of a single pack and searched for alternatives. It learned of the existence of lodges and studied their spiritual requirements. The angel requested an upgrade from the God-Machine and was repurposed to be more powerful and able to guide a multitude of werewolves. Here it transformed its single pack into the nexus of a cult of the Machine, demonstrating its power through miracles and bringing more wolves into the fold.

Over time the lodge worked and expanded. Queen Ananasa identified targets to be hunted, and the lodge/cult altered, moved, or destroyed them according to its guidance. The angel revelled in the sense of power and adoration it gained from the near-worship of so many mortal beings. It had a taste of what it imagined the God-Machine must feel, and decided that it wanted more. Around this time, the instructions stopped. It's unknown when Queen Ananasa first realised this, as she enjoyed working through her loyal lodge members.

The angel didn't Fall, but with the loss of guiding signal it was now an exile, whether it understood its status or not. Cut off from God-Machine control, the angel turned towards repurposing Infrastrcture for its own purposes. It believes that if it can align sufficient pieces of infrastructure in the right combinations, it can produce occult matrices of its own, and outputs that serve it and the lodge. It's even had some success, with a few smaller machine-spiders spilling from the bursts of essence - mini angels loyal to their 'mother' and her werewolf cult.

Though the Queen doesn't actively work against the God-Machine (or does she, how would she know if she serves Its bidding or not), the lodge does twist, change and destroy infrastructure to try and accomplish the totem's goals. Sometimes this pits her forces against other angels, but she's discovered that a werewolf's predatory status in the spiritual hierarchy is just as effective on her fellows. As far as she knows, the lodge hasn't come across any demons who might seek to gain from their work. In fact, the lodge's packs have almost certainly been infiltrated by demons under Cover, but they work hard to stay unnoticed by the werewolves and their angelic patron.

Aims to write stuff you like.
                        WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams
                        CofD | Werewolf the Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide
                        The Trinity Continuum | ├ćon

Comment

Working...
                        X