Trouble with Spirits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    One of the big reasons is that higher-Ranked spirits tend to charge rent from lower-Ranked spirits and the Shadow caps the two means of gaining Essence that aren't theft at one go per day. Getting a daily n+1 points of Essence from camping at a single source doesn't do you much good when the local apex predator and their subordinates collective charge n-3 points per day on average and you're losing a point per day on basic upkeep besides, which brings us to the next issue:

Equally-Ranked spirits are going to be looking for a leg up on their fellows, and while taking your sources of Essence doesn't allow them to feed more in itself, subordinating you? Does. This competition gets more intense in environments where multiple powerful spirits are all demanding tribute from their lessers.

The lack of a cap on theft means spirits who get how the game works recognize that other spirits of compatible resonance are more useful to them alive than dead, and feeding other spirits their Essence makes them closer to extensions of the spirit-lord. Beings like Dihir are basically ecological feedback loops that use smaller spirits as agents of large-scale attempts at resource-control.
    (Emphasis mine.)

Ok, so paying dues to the local Lion King means you get protection and he doesn't accidentally eat you (or your flock of spirit-buds). Subordinating your spirit-buds so they recognize you as the righteous dude who keeps the Lion King at bay means you get some grift. Roman-era tax collection at its finest. Everyone may hate you but you're in with the boss ... until he gets hungry.

But what's this that I've bolded? Larger spirits feed essence to their "vassal" (my words)? Ok... sounds like a bribe, but:

How extensively might that change them over time? Would that shift the hyena-spirit into a hyena-lion spirit and eventually a lion-hyena spirit? I get that amalgams result from unrestrained consumption of essence not of the same type, and that that tends to give said spirit a bad name around the block. But the idea of actually force-feeding lesser spirits as flocks is... well, as disturbing as anything around them I suppose?

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
      But what's this that I've bolded? Larger spirits feed essence to their "vassal" (my words)? Ok... sounds like a bribe, but:
      Spirits literally can't do you a favor unless you pay them with gathra and they are what they eat.

How extensively might that change them over time?
      Not very extensively, after accounting for degrees of remove and compatible resonance — if a Jaggling claims tithes from a Gaffling, it does so because that Gaffling holds Essence that is palatable to the Jaggling, and this applies the same to the Incarna that the Jaggling pays fealty to. A greater affinity develops along this connection, and this demonstrates itself in the symbolism of the spirits' Corpus — spirits' forms get larger and more elaborate with Rank for a reason.

Would that shift the hyena-spirit into a hyena-lion spirit and eventually a lion-hyena spirit? I get that amalgams result from unrestrained consumption of essence not of the same type, and that that tends to give said spirit a bad name around the block.
      It's more that the hyena-servants of a spirit of lions and hyenas start to become hyena spirits that look like they'd serve a spirit of lions and hyenas, which probably has a portfolio that makes that fit more naturally if it isn't a magath.

But the idea of actually force-feeding lesser spirits as flocks is... well, as disturbing as anything around them I suppose?
      It's how the vampires do it, broadly speaking.

The boss takes a cut from everyone down the chain and gives their subordinates the stuff from their personal stash. Their subordinates do the same for their subordinates, and so on down the line so that every intermediate boss between the bottom and the top is a little more alike.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Hey so I've got a question concerning Motes: Since all spirits start out as motes, what would the mote of an higher animal spirit look like? Would it look like a baby newborn version of the animal, or would it look like a tiny ball of animal components (like a bird spirit mote might be a small bundle of feathers and eyes or a beak or something)?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuwisha Nutjob View Post
          Hey so I've got a question concerning Motes: Since all spirits start out as motes, what would the mote of an higher animal spirit look like? Would it look like a baby newborn version of the animal, or would it look like a tiny ball of animal components (like a bird spirit mote might be a small bundle of feathers and eyes or a beak or something)?
          Do you mean Essence or Rank 0 spirits?

First edition says this about Essence. 'Essence cannot be perceived as a thing in and of itself, but as a series of phenomena. Uratha have to use all of their senses to find free Essence as it bleeds through the Gauntlet and flickers into and out of existence in the spirit world - briefly appearing as sensations related to its resonance. Essence flavored with joy might appear as a whirlwind of flower petals, the sound of laughter, the scent of ice cream, the touch of satin. Essence might appear as each of these sensations to different beings at once.'

Comment

Originally posted by Nuwisha Nutjob View Post
            Most low-Ranking animal spirits are going to resemble vague and abstracted shapes of their hosts — a bird-muthra might be little more than a rough-sketched pair of wings in the air, for example.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Thanks nofather and Satchel. That answer my question.

Comment

Working...
              X