[2E] Lodge of the Curse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Lodge of the Curse

For ease of referance - here is whole 21C Hermit's write up. based on my ideas - I only changed Totem to look more like I think it should in day to day situation with Cursed Ones.
    The Cursed Ones

Deniers, Wolf-Slayers, Forsworn

The wolf is at the door, both figuratively and literally. He can feel it breathing at his neck, thirsting for blood and hungering for flesh. He closes the thick door in a sealed room with thickened walls. No one, not even a monster, can get in. No one can get out, either. After hearing his friend look the door from the outside, he finally lets out both a sigh of relief and the frustrated howl of a true monster.

The Cursed Ones believe themselves to be inflicted with lycanthropy as the old legends and movies tell them. They deny the wolf within, but in doing so starve it into a blind, raging beast. As ones who have forsworn the bitter truth of their heritage, they dive deep into sweet lies woven by humanity's nightmares of things that go bump in the night. Members of the Cursed Ones assemble extensive knowledge about when, where and how they were turned in hope of figuring out just what cursed them, and maybe even find a way to break the curse once and for all. They gather data ranging from crimes considered the most bestial, ominous constellations in the night, haunted spots where a dozen native shamans shed blood, the poisons of a hundred species of herbs featured most often in fairy tales, and even rumors of pathogens created from government experiments in the Cold Wars.

The Cursed Ones hunt down lycanthropy itself as their sacred prey, although they never admit the concept of the Siskur-Dah. Specifically, they vent their rage towards factors known to inflict lycanthropy on humans, everything from belladonna to wolf-skin pelts to witches making deals with the Devil, and of course, other lycanthropes themselves. They look into old folktales for wisdom of the ancients, the hints on what they might have passed onto the future generations. Especially prized knowledge is one that have been retold over and over across various mediums, for the deniers believe such resilient knowledge surely must hold some truth in them, otherwise they wouldn't be so famous. When confronted with Hollywood-style cases of lycanthropy, where one werewolf transmits its affliction to another, the wolf-slayers take the maxim "fight fire with fire" to the heart and take guilty pleasure in unleashing their own cursed form.

Naturally, the Lodge is comprised of no members from a proper tribe. Uratha who flock to it are almost always Ghost Wolves who have no clue what is going on with them, or who decided not to take part in what is obviously a cult dedicated to alien doctrines and inhuman urges. However, the majority of the Lodge is populated by Wolf-Blooded, whose Tells often reflect those of werewolves appearing in classic literature and movies, confirming the belief that the stories are true indeed.

While most Lodge members refuse to form a pack, they frequently gather among themselves, with such meetings doubling as group therapy and occult investigation. Those who form a pack are often ones who believe them selves to have been turned by similar or even the same circumstances. They instinctively hold onto territory, but tend to justify it as keeping their own neighborhoods clean from lycanthropy, or securing a safe expanse for themselves to rampage just in case they lose control.

Totem: The Silver Screen

In it's true form, Silver Screen appears as a jumble of movie films and reels, each slide shining in a silver light. In the center lies a wide, square screen that flickers a hundred images from movies that an avid fan or an astute critic may recognize as belonging to several famous movies starring werewolves, starting from the Wolfman in 1941. But most of the time on contact with Lodge members he looks like copy of 'Wolfman look' from 1941, something between Dalu and Gauru Form - humanoid wolfish character from silent movie - he shows his silver reel form only to those really devoted of his children he can completlly trust.

As a spirit of tropes spread through the screen, it often cruises around cinemas and bookstores where people delight in the stories it tells, and the headquarters of the rare brave few who decides to become the heroes fighting the monsters in the night. It sends its servants to arrange events as exactly the movies say, and if real life turns out to be bloodier than that, well, perhaps it could go better next time.

The Cursed Ones are heavily reliant on the god of cinema they unwittingly worship for what imperfect grasp they have on the nature of lycanthropy. The Silver Screen sends its servants of information, movies, fear, and deception to its clueless congregation to feed them slivers information and packets of data it assembled and organized for easier understanding. That most of them are half-truths and sometimes outright false is an accusation it receives often but turns away nonchalantly, claiming some to be an honest mistake and some to be a plot by the 'evil' lycanthropes who rule the nights.

While the Silver Screen has managed to enthrall real lycanthropes into believing the fiction it gathered and weaved about them, it has made curiously little effort on other monsters that exist out there. The spirit of dramatic fiction wishes to rectify this situation, and it has been sending its spirit and Cursed servants out to gather information and stories about vampires, witches, demons, mummies, and many more traditional movie monsters. When the Silver Screen closes its eyes, it sees the most magnificent work of fiction starring every piece of fantasy that humans dreamt in their thrillers and nightmares - all displayed on its body to be shown to the entire world.

Bonds

Blessing: The Lodge member may spend a point of Willpower to gain the rote quality on an Occult roll to identify lycanthropic phenomena, an Investigation roll to track down classic werewolf stories, or a Streetwise roll to gather rumors of particularly violent crimes happening around.

Aspiration: To gather information about werewolves from various sources and backgrounds.

Ban: A Lodge adherent cannot refuse a request to provide information on werewolves or other related topic.

The Sacred Hunt
    The Lodge member gains a variant of the Unseen Senses Merit, targeting Lycanthropic Shapeshifting and Lycanthropic Infection. The former category represents the prey transforming into a wolf or wolf-like form, either with its own power or due to an external influence. The latter category represents a lycanthrope turning a human into its own kind. Once the Unseen Sense takes effect, the Lodge member negates all penalties to tracking down the source, even if it moves, but this effect is overwritten when another source triggers the Unseen Sense. The Lodge member cannot differentiate between whether it was Shapeshifting or Infection that tiggered her senses. "Lycanthropes" include Uratha, Wolf-Blooded, and other supernatural creatures at the Storyteller's discretion.

I was re-reading old topics and found this great post:
    Originally posted by StSword View Post
    All right, but if bale hounds were the result of christians not having another frame of reference when they became werewolves, what's the excuse now?

People have had werewolf movies for almost 75 years now. So for the last three generations, people are more likely to believe their lycanthropy was a gypsy curse than a sign that they're chosen by Satan, especially since the number of christians who believe that satan makes werewolves would have to be very very small.

Why isn't the lodge of the gypsy curse the problem of europe instead of bale hounds?
    I thought that as we have 2E Lodge template from the Pack book, maybe it’s time to return to idea?

My basic idea would be a Lodge of Ghost Wolves that hunt to ‘cure’ the lycanthropy – i.e. looking for Uratha weakness. They could start as branch from Eaters of Name, where the later hunt for ‘witches’ ( titular ‘Gypsy’ ).

Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
    Note to self: Spam Azocrotarim to make a "Lodge of the Gypsy Curse".
    And so I summon Acrozatarim on this matter.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-19-2017, 04:48 PM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

You might change the name, since they're called Roma and consider the term gypsy to be derogatory.

Comment

Werewolves as cursed by outsiders is rooted in old xenophobic beliefs. In Sweden it was Finnish, Sami, and/or Russians who did the cursing.
      Please don't dignify these racist ideas by making a Lodge for them.

Comment

I was only going for three things:
        1. Original fan idea of St Sword. He call it there in first place.
        2. Was going after popculture idea the Lodge idea get from. Sam Raimi in his latest horror clearly used 'Gypsy Curse' shtick.
        3. Idea was on 'popculture raised werewolves Lodge looking for stop being one'. Name was just taken from St Sword post.

I did not mean to offend anyone. If you make feel better it can be called 'Lodge of Curse', even I would think it lose something in it. Maybe better title would be 'Lodge of Wolf Curse'?
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-07-2016, 04:20 PM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )

Comment

Could we maybe not have a thread with a racial slur in the title?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            Could we maybe not have a thread with a racial slur in the title?
            Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and change that title.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

So after fixing title - What do you think about basic Lodge's idea? What Totem and Bonds could work for this? I'm even more interesting in talking HOW Ghost Wolves could even have Lodge in the first place.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-07-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

How could they be hunting for something to end their 'curse' when it isn't a curse to begin with? While I'm sure you could find a spirit willing to follow this idea, it would at least in some ways be a spirit of deceit, as it would know there is nothing it can do to end people turning into werewolves.

Seems more in line for a pack or wolf-blooded support group than a lodge.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  How could they be hunting for something to end their 'curse' when it isn't a curse to begin with?
                  This is why it's so devious idea - they are decived. Question is are they more by Totem or by they own convications?

While I'm sure you could find a spirit willing to follow this idea, it would at least in some ways be a spirit of deceit, as it would know there is nothing it can do to end people turning into werewolves.
                  Good point. Seeing as Lodge is striving from 'movie werewolves' idea, maybe it's deceit hailing from films? Like spirit of acting?

Seems more in line for a pack or wolf-blooded support group than a lodge.
                  Surviving by 75 years, across continents, hunting for particular thing - all points to as lodge model.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                    Surviving by 75 years, across continents, hunting for particular thing - all points to as lodge model.
                    StSword just said werewolf movies have existed for 75 years, it's a bit of a reach to suggest that the moment the first werewolf movie came out, a lodge was formed across nations that wouldn't see it for decades, if ever.

If you really want this you should focus on something for them to hunt, because a curse that doesn't exist can't really be hunted, how would you even make progress towards such a hunt?

Comment

StSword just said werewolf movies have existed for 75 years, it's a bit of a reach to suggest that the moment the first werewolf movie came out, a lodge was formed across nations that wouldn't see it for decades, if ever.
                      Is it really? Think about it. We have a premier of Wolfman movie in 1941 in USA. Some people go to it. How many would there be? Hundreds of thousands? At least 0.1% of them seeing would be Wolf-Blooded or pre-Change werewolves. They connect to this movie. To it's story, to it's hardship. They... Create pseudo-Firstborn spirit of 'Movie werewolfness'. In a year or two, movie fandom wanting more werewolf movies makes this spirit more powerful. And so he start to talk in sleep to movie watchers. He start to guide them. They unconsciously makes a Lodge.

If you really want this you should focus on something for them to hunt, because a curse that doesn't exist can't really be hunted, how would you even make progress towards such a hunt?
                      Simple - on testing each new weakness of werewolf kind. 'Silver? Yeah, it hurts. Belladona? Psshh, nothing here.' Hell, it could be interesting introduction ritual - applicant needs to check his body on 5 common movie tropes werewolfs Banes.

Latter on? It would be fulfilling commands of they pseudo-Firstborn Totem. Like in Underworld - 'We need to grab Michael Corvin!'

Totem's targets would change across decades - probably based on traits of most popular 'werewolfs enemy' in current movies.

At 1940s it would probably be 'we must find this old witch' - remember, we talk here about Spirit of Deciet in pure form, he lie all the time to all Lodge members that are Ghost Wolves, so they do not know better.
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-08-2016, 01:42 AM.

Comment

If I may...

The Cursed Ones

The wolf is at the door, both figuratively and literally. He can feel it breathing at his neck, thirsting for blood and hungering for flesh. He closes the thick door in a sealed room with thickened walls. No one, not even a monster, can get in. No one can get out, either. After hearing his friend look the door from the outside, he finally lets out both a sigh of relief and the frustrated howl of a true monster.

The Cursed Ones believe themselves to be inflicted with lycanthropy as the old legends and movies tell them. They deny the wolf within, but in doing so starve it into a blind, raging beast. As ones who have forsworn the bitter truth of their heritage, they dive deep into sweet lies woven by humanity's nightmares of things that go bump in the night. Members of the Cursed Ones assemble extensive knowledge about when, where and how they were turned in hope of figuring out just what cursed them, and maybe even find a way to break the curse once and for all. They gather data ranging from crimes considered the most bestial, ominous constellations in the night, haunted spots where a dozen native shamans shed blood, the poisons of a hundred species of herbs featured most often in fairy tales, and even rumors of pathogens created from government experiments in the Cold Wars.

The Cursed Ones hunt down lycanthropy itself as their sacred prey, although they never admit the concept of the Siskur-Dah. Specifically, they vent their rage towards factors known to inflict lycanthropy on humans, everything from belladonna to wolf-skin pelts to witches making deals with the Devil, and of course, other lycanthropes themselves. They look into old folktales for wisdom of the ancients, the hints on what they might have passed onto the future generations. Especially prized knowledge is one that have been retold over and over across various mediums, for the deniers believe such resilient knowledge surely must hold some truth in them, otherwise they wouldn't be so famous. When confronted with Hollywood-style cases of lycanthropy, where one werewolf transmits its affliction to another, the wolf-slayers take the maxim "fight fire with fire" to the heart and take guilty pleasure in unleashing their own cursed form.

Naturally, the Lodge is comprised of no members from a proper tribe. Uratha who flock to it are almost always Ghost Wolves who have no clue what is going on with them, or who decided not to take part in what is obviously a cult dedicated to alien doctrines and inhuman urges. However, the majority of the Lodge is populated by Wolf-Blooded, whose Tells often reflect those of werewolves appearing in classic literature and movies, confirming the belief that the stories are true indeed.

While most Lodge members refuse to form a pack, they frequently gather among themselves, with such meetings doubling as group therapy and occult investigation. Those who form a pack are often ones who believe them selves to have been turned by similar or even the same circumstances. They instinctively hold onto territory, but tend to justify it as keeping their own neighborhoods clean from lycanthropy, or securing a safe expanse for themselves to rampage just in case they lose control.

The Silver Screen appears as a jumble of movie films and reels, each slide shining in a silver light. In the center lies a wide, square screen that flickers a hundred images from movies that an avid fan or an astute critic may recognize as belonging to several famous movies starring werewolves, starting from the Wolfman in 1941. As a spirit of tropes spread through the screen, it often cruises around cinemas and bookstores where people delight in the stories it tells, and the headquarters of the rare brave few who decides to become the heroes fighting the monsters in the night. It sends its servants to arrange events as exactly the movies say, and if real life turns out to be bloodier than that, well, perhaps it could go better next time.

The Cursed Ones are heavily reliant on the god of cinema they unwittingly worship for what imperfect grasp they have on the nature of lycanthropy. The Silver Screen sends its servants of information, movies, fear, and deception to its clueless congregation to feed them slivers information and packets of data it assembled and organized for easier understanding. That most of them are half-truths and sometimes outright false is an accusation it receives often but turns away nonchalantly, claiming some to be an honest mistake and some to be a plot by the 'evil' lycanthropes who rule the nights.

While the Silver Screen has managed to enthrall real lycanthropes into believing the fiction it gathered and weaved about them, it has made curiously little effort on other monsters that exist out there. The spirit of dramatic fiction wishes to rectify this situation, and it has been sending its spirit and Cursed servants out to gather information and stories about vampires, witches, demons, mummies, and many more traditional movie monsters. When the Silver Screen closes its eyes, it sees the most magnificent work of fiction starring every piece of fantasy that humans dreamt in their thrillers and nightmares - all displayed on its body to be shown to the entire world.

Bonds

Blessing: The Lodge member may spend a point of Willpower to gain the rote quality on an Occult roll to identify lycanthropic phenomena, an Investigation roll to track down classic werewolf stories, or a Streetwise roll to gather rumors of particularly violent crimes happening around.

Aspiration: To gather information about werewolves from various sources and backgrounds.

Ban: A Lodge adherent cannot refuse a request to provide information on werewolves or other related topic.

The Sacred Hunt
                        The Lodge member gains a variant of the Unseen Senses Merit, targeting Lycanthropic Shapeshifting and Lycanthropic Infection. The former category represents the prey transforming into a wolf or wolf-like form, either with its own power or due to an external influence. The latter category represents a lycanthrope turning a human into its own kind. Once the Unseen Sense takes effect, the Lodge member negates all penalties to tracking down the source, even if it moves, but this effect is overwritten when another source triggers the Unseen Sense. The Lodge member cannot differentiate between whether it was Shapeshifting or Infection that tiggered her senses. "Lycanthropes" include Uratha, Wolf-Blooded, and other supernatural creatures at the Storyteller's discretion.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by Seidmadr View Post
                          Werewolves as cursed by outsiders is rooted in old xenophobic beliefs. In Sweden it was Finnish, Sami, and/or Russians who did the cursing.
                          Please don't dignify these racist ideas by making a Lodge for them.
                          Or do create a Lodge for them if it suits your stories, and showcase the ideas of cultural bias and xenophobia along with body-horror of forced transformations. Political correctness doesn't act as an effective vehicle for accurately conveying many aspects of the human condition.

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                          If I may...
                          The Cursed Ones

The Silver Screen appears as a jumble of movie films and reels, each slide shining in a silver light. In the center lies a wide, square screen that flickers a hundred images from movies that an avid fan or an astute critic may recognize as belonging to several famous movies starring werewolves, starting from the Wolfman in 1941. As a spirit of tropes spread through the screen, it often cruises around cinemas and bookstores where people delight in the stories it tells, and the headquarters of the rare brave few who decides to become the heroes fighting the monsters in the night. It sends its servants to arrange events as exactly the movies say, and if real life turns out to be bloodier than that, well, perhaps it could go better next time.

Bonds

The Sacred Hunt
                          Like Banishers, but for werewolves, I like it. Also the idea of spiritual misinformation is AMAZING! I also like the puny metaphor name of the totem.
                          Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 12-08-2016, 03:46 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                          "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

What Hermit said - thanks for this write-up - but I would made Silver Screen Totem to show most often to Cursed Ones as mix between Dalu and Gauru ( ' 1941 Wolfman image' ) and changing his Manifestation for local Lycanthropy lore or subculture. Nice addition with Totem looking for 'recreating' other supernaturals.
                            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-08-2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for comments - and yeah, I certainly enjoyed writing that one

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                              X