Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful [1E] Forsaken Books for running [2E}

Hello,

Starting my first CoD Chronicle in the new year for Werewolf. Considering the big sale on Drivethru for the Holiday Season I was looking at maybe picking up some of the 1E titles while they're more pocket friendly. I've already looked at the recommendations from the 2E Core book itself and definitely feel I should pick up a copy of The Pack. I was hoping some of the more experienced Story Tellers might be able to point me in the right direction of what might be useful as I'm not sure what the extent of the changes between 1E & 2E. My group is relatively new to CoD and have only played a few seasons of VtR 1E if that is of any help.

Thanks

Hm, the setting changes between 1E and 2E are a bit more pronounced than in Vampire. I picked up a bunch of 1E books leading up to 2E's release and most of them lost some usefulness. That being said, if you're also getting The Pack and need some more ideas for Lodges, you can use the ones described in Lodges: The Faithful, Lodges: The Splintered, and Tribes of the Moon.

Tribes of the Moon will also give you an overview of the Tribes, but it'll be missing their focus on their Favored Prey from 2E. That being said, if you want to showcase the Shadow you should pick up Predators since it focuses primarily on Spirits and Hosts.

See, that's really the biggest issue: the books I'm most excited to recommend for 1E are ones that added something major to the setting: Blasphemies, The Pure, and War Against the Pure are all fantastic books. But they'll just make things more complicated at the beginning. And since the enemies in those three books are chiefly other werewolves, most of the Gifts and such are gonna be a pain because you'll have to ditch all of that stuff entirely due to how Gifts work in 2E.

It's neither on sale nor a Werewolf-specific book, but Damnation City is probably the best thing supplement from the entirety of 1E for any gameline.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
    She/her, contributing writer for Scion: Pride 2021

Comment

I am running a Werewolf 2E chronicle based on the old demo for 1E "Manitou Springs" and found both the demo and the book on the rockies (Hunting Ground: The Rockies) very helpful. Especially in the demo you have to tweak a little beforehand, cause some mechanics work very differently in 2E, but it was a great source for the general szenario and story hooks.

Comment

Thanks for your responses both I'll definitely check out your recommendations. I spotted there's a Storyteller's Screen for First Edition is this still useful for running Forsaken in it's latest incarnation? Do you find any particular area's that you reference a lot in actual play?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post
          Hm, the setting changes between 1E and 2E are a bit more pronounced than in Vampire. I picked up a bunch of 1E books leading up to 2E's release and most of them lost some usefulness.
          What exactly changed? I thought 2e was fully backward-compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by guang View Post
            Gifts are completely different for one thing.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Gifts are completely different for one thing.
              Is there a review somewhere that breaks down the differences and how they affect using 1e sources with 2e rules or vice versa?

Comment

Is there a review somewhere that breaks down the differences and how they affect using 1e sources with 2e rules or vice versa?
                Probably not. Most of the stuff you would use from first edition would be spirits and fluff, which hasn't changed much and there's not much need for a conversion guide.

A more comprehensive list of differences was made out here. There's probably a few on the forum but I don't know where they are.

Going past Gifts and Rites, which have changed a lot along with Merits, just with regular character sheets you won't have much of a difference. The big change there would be adding Athletics to Defense and probably changing the stats of various weapons.

Comment

There's one that breaks down the differences but I can't link it, it's unapproved. There's nothing that really goes into the details of conversion, or a conversion guide.

The big thing you would be able to bring over would be spirits and fluff, which has for the most part stayed the same, or at least similar.

If you're just transferring character stats over, past the Gifts, Rites and Merits which have changed, the only bigthings you would really have to do would be add Athletics to Defense and fiddle with some weapon stats. There's probably some other minor changes as well.

Comment

I'm curious as to where you got that impression?

And also, what does 'fully backward-compatible' actually mean in the context of an edition change?

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

There's one that breaks down the differences but I can't link it, it's unapproved.
                      ​Unapproved? By who?

- Chris Allen, Aberrant Line Developer, Freelance Writer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                        ​Unapproved? By who?
                        Oops. I realized after I posted that posts with reddit links are automatically put into an Unapproved stasis. I guess I got approved after the fact, however.

Comment

Thanks much for the link. Very useful indeed. It seems that the changes are almost all on the PC side, which is encouraging, as was hoping to use stuff from some of the older sourcebooks.

What gave me the impression that 1e and 2e were the same? Just not paying attention, really. The focus has always seemed to be the choice between cWoD and nWoD rather than between different editions of nWoD......which we seem to have three of now :/

Comment

What gave me the impression that 1e and 2e were the same? Just not paying attention, really. The focus has always seemed to be the choice between cWoD and nWoD rather than between different editions of nWoD......which we seem to have three of now :/
                            Well, there are four editions of WoD, and two editions of CofD (not sure why you'd think there's three).

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

Perhaps the God-Machine rules update confused the matter since it contains second edition rules before the second edition was officially announced.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                              X