[Viking Dark Era] Why not dragons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Viking Dark Era] Why not dragons?

So I maybe played too much Skyrim, but I really wanted to add dragons to Viking game I plan. How could make them work in the setting? I suppose that Sea Serpents totem spirits would be typical for ship crews. Some even could make Claimed ( or even one or two left Pangeans ) that are inside gigantic sea snakes. But what about classical, European, fire breathing dragons?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Magath is the obvious answer, as well as idigam. If you want them to be more natural though, spirits of legend could work (not legendary spirits, spirits with influence (legends) who show up as some legendary creature).

Comment

If I remember, there where some 'dragon -like' creature in Sunered World Dark Era.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
      My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

I would expect those would either be a weird creature that's rather unique and mysterious, or a pangean. I tend to not think much about pangeans though, cause I run with the "they're all dead or gone" idea, except for stuff like hosts, uratha and other shifters of course.

Edit: I never really read dark eras too heavily myself, except for requiem for regina, so I don't remember much myself.
        Last edited by Fumus; 12-25-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

By dragons, are you talking about that "classic" typical fire-breathing reptile with wings? Then yeah, spirits and magath and Claimed are the way to go, given how that type of dragons are a mixture of various mythic themes.

Of course, you can always use the Dread Horror rules in the core to make up a dragon and throw them at players. It's not like werewolves particularly care about where the prey lie in the grand metaphysical scheme. As long as it makes a good hunt, they'll wage the Siskur-Dah on it.

If we're allowing non-classic dragons, the ones often described as wyverns and serpents nowadays are easier. Spirits of sea, treasure, power, and such. They're closer to natural animals in form, so it's easier to justify their shapes, and besides they're the more "classic" dragons if we track down the origins of dragons anyway

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            If I remember, there where some 'dragon -like' creature in Sunered World Dark Era.
            ​You're probably thinking of the post-chrysalis Idigam in the Babbling Tower story seed of Sundered World.

- Chris Allen
            Freelance Writer, Deviant: the Renegade / The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Viking dragons seemed more serpent-like than draconic. Lindworms. They would probably fit best as hive-claimed, due to their propensity for eating the dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post

​You're probably thinking of the post-chrysalis Idigam in the Babbling Tower story seed of Sundered World.
                So Idigam is also way to do it. More, maybe with Sundered World 'prequel' story to add to chronicle timeline.

Comment

Or even make the 'mook' dragons be spirits and Claimed, with the Alduin equivalent the idigam.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Or a crossover with Beast the Primordial. There's PC-able dragons there.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                      Or a crossover with Beast the Primordial. There's PC-able dragons there.
                      Well, they are not physical 12 meters gigantic lizards with wings. They are more like 'ghosts' ( goetia to be precise ) of those great dragons. Idigam or Pangean version are still more in the same gameline territory that we can recreate almost exactly like 'european dragon'.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        Viking dragons seemed more serpent-like than draconic. Lindworms. They would probably fit best as hive-claimed, due to their propensity for eating the dead.
                        ​I had a specific idea for a particular type of Hive-Claimed during the Viking era. Might get round to writing all that stuff up one day.

- Chris Allen
                        Freelance Writer, Deviant: the Renegade / The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Well, they are not physical 12 meters gigantic lizards with wings. They are more like 'ghosts' ( goetia to be precise ) of those great dragons. Idigam or Pangean version are still more in the same gameline territory that we can recreate almost exactly like 'european dragon'.
                          Can't Beasts take the form of their Horrors when they impose their Lairs on reality? Or am I misremembering?

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post

Can't Beasts take the form of their Horrors when they impose their Lairs on reality? Or am I misremembering?
                            That is indeed more or less how it goes, and one of the main benefits of Chambers is that they provide direct or indirect access to the biggest dicepool you can swing at opening a Pathway — and five successes means the overlap lasts for the scene.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Oh, they're certainly dragons, can appear as dragons in the physical world, can be kaiju sized if they want. Its just a question if you want to include crossover or not in your game. *Shrugs* Just a suggestion, so take your pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X