[Viking Dark Era] Why not dragons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Basically there's a lot more to idigam than rampaging monster that someone kills, which is what you seem to be going for.
    I may started with this as idea - but I'm returning to Idigam version as this chronicle is both on Viking and Modern timeline. I think about using Dragon as returning threat across generations, probably variant on Earth-Bounded ( giant flying lizard earth-bounded, you get it, right? ) that returns after over millenium to the same place in totally different times - probably adapting to modern concepts of 'dragon' in that place. Or evolving even to more weird 'techno-dragon' in Modern times?

Also, using Idigam as 'returning ancient monsters for humans to be afraid off' seems to one of official usage of them - just let see Earth-Bound section on myths...

Originally posted by WtF 2E, p. 202
    This story is true. The Earth-Bound took on the duty of serving as monsters for humanity to hunt and battle. Their changing natures made them the perfect opponents to test the species’ mettle, always returning in a new form when defeated. Perhaps Father Wolf looked fondly on the people amongst whom his Uratha children dwelt, and wanted to give them the only gift he understood — the hunt. Perhaps the idigam were just supposed to be a distraction for humanity from deeper horrors in the darkness, defeated puppets set to an undignified task.
    Look at the Babbling Tower section of the Sundered World Dark Era, which depicts an idigam, its cult, and what happens when it's interrupted, or what happens after it has coalesced. It would be using Essence Shaping and Forge Servant in addition to its other powers.
    <After re-reading Sundered World story hook>
    It's just looks... more weird. 'I'm a dragon, but also weird language obssesion'. It does not seem more... I do not know, mad (?) than things from Deep Shadow or some more powerful Magath, really.

An idigam is attempting to become something that doesn't exist, and basically a twisted blight upon the world. I'd say like the Dragon from Dragon Age? But I never finished the game so I couldn't confirm that if it maintained its 'changing the world' vibe from the beginning. You can see what the various idigam do in the core book.
    The Blight idea from Dragon Age was more of 'I want start the Age of Monsters rule'. I do not see here anything really outstanding more from your 'Mother of Monsters' kind of Dragon trope, really...

For now I just understand that Idigams are spirits that want to be powerful by becoming 'alien' in their concepts. Magaths are just scraps eaters, unfortunate mutations of Shadow Realm. Idigams are those mad spirits that wants to evolve to different concepts than their original purpose was. To shackled off their Shadow Realms limitations.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-02-2017, 05:15 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      It's just looks... more weird. 'I'm a dragon, but also weird language obssesion'. It does not seem more... I do not know, mad (?) than things from Deep Shadow or some more powerful Magath, really.
      Yes, because idigam are weird. It was becoming the concept of translation, something that didn't exist at the time.

The Blight idea from Dragon Age was more of 'I want start the Age of Monsters rule'. I do not see here anything really outstanding more from your 'Mother of Monsters' kind of Dragon trope, really...
      I was thinking about the archdemon, apparently. 'The archdemon, while not an actual dragon in the traditional sense, appears similar to one once it has been awoken by darkspawn during a Blight. Despite not looking very different from other large dragons, Archdemons are immensely more powerful and intelligent, serving as the masterminds of darkspawn hordes during the Blights they lead against the world.'

For now I just understand that Idigams are spirits that want to be powerful by becoming 'alien' in their concepts. Magaths are just scraps eaters, unfortunate mutations of Shadow Realm. Idigams are those mad spirits that wants to evolve to different concepts than their original purpose was. To shackled off their Shadow Realms limitations.
      Okay.

Comment

Was thinking about Dragon Idigam that starts as 'Sea/Land Serpent' in Norse lands but with Christinization and their myths he becomes more like 'European Dragon' - and after millenia of hibernation - he becomes somehow 'TechnoDragon' in modern times. Something like this. Sounds more or less correct with Idigam rules?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Also, using Idigam as 'returning ancient monsters for humans to be afraid off' seems to one of official usage of them - just let see Earth-Bound section on myths...
          Take a look at the other one to get a better idea of where the Babbling Tower hook comes from; it meshes especially well in that context with the "spirits of potential concepts" theory and the "Metamorphosis" portion of the Chrysalis Tales section.
          Was thinking about Dragon Idigam that starts as 'Sea/Land Serpent' in Norse lands but with Christinization and their myths he becomes more like 'European Dragon' - and after millenia of hibernation - he becomes somehow 'TechnoDragon' in modern times. Something like this. Sounds more or less correct with Idigam rules?
          The common thread between the transitional state of the Builder of Tongues at its Coalescence and the dragon of recollection it goes on to become if left alone is language.

If this dragon is a Coalesced Earth-Bound, the theme you want to explore with this antagonist should inform its driving obsession and the nature of its transformation over time; go beneath the surface of the archetype of "dragon" and figure out at least the beginnings of what you want this proto-symbolic entity to be trying to mean.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Created separate topic for my pet Dragon Idigam - Fear of Scales - condensing there some ideas from this very topic.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
            X