X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guang
    started a topic Weird Host question

Weird Host question

Hosts as PC races, as I understand it, has not yet been implemented. Reading through Predators recently, I can see why.

What about going the other direction? What if Forsaken and/or Pure were demoted to being just another Host? How would they be different?

• guang
    replied
    Oh wow, awesome. Night Horrors is definitely on my wishlist now.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    And Worm Hosts opened up Wounds, if I remember correctly.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    Fungus Hosts were fucking terrifying. They reanimated the dead, right?
    Yes, creating the Namusiden.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Yeah, that had a lot of nice hosts in it. Wolf, fungus, worm.
    Fungus Hosts were fucking terrifying. They reanimated the dead, right?

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Yeah, that had a lot of nice hosts in it. Wolf, fungus, worm.

Leave a comment:

• Acrozatarim
    replied
    There's a Wolf Host in one of the 1e books. Can't remember which one off-hand, but I suspect Night Horrors?

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    It would be harder to justify playing host, since they're not really close to being human and their life cycle is so drastically different, going from shard to body-rider to giant monster without having the shapeshifting angle werewolves do.

Also the hosts are obsessed with reforming their progenitor. So everyone would sort of lean towards being Pure.

In the end, while it's a common thought to lump werewolves in with hosts, their only real similarity is being borne from a Pangaean, but even then their method of creation is different.
    Last edited by nofather; 12-27-2016, 11:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• guang
    replied
    Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
    In the end, you can simply make a stabilized form of another Host, and you can declare the Uratha as Hosts without actually changing any rule, or even setting. Just place some hints in the setting for the PCs to find and see how they react.
    I could do that, I guess. But in my reading it seems that for all the similarity between Uratha and Sartha (hope I got the names right - love the first tongue, but the vocabulary leaks out of my head), the Hosts are somehow defective when compared to the Forsaken. So was thinking what would be different if instead of upgrading Hosts into fully-realized WoD characters, what would happen if I instead downgraded Forsaken into being just another Host, and what would it look like?

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    In the end, you can simply make a stabilized form of another Host, and you can declare the Uratha as Hosts without actually changing any rule, or even setting. Just place some hints in the setting for the PCs to find and see how they react.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    They'd be disastrous to the local human population. Well, more than they are right now. Most Shartha involve killing a human and wearing his corpse as a meat-suit somewhere in its life cycle. And wrecking the spiritual ecosystem and/or the physical ecosystem, often out of an all-consuming drive drilled into their heads from ancestral memory.

The Hunters in Darkness would probably tear itself apart, commit suicide, or go on a fanatic genocidal massacre against all Uratha in existence. Or retconned into never having existed. I personally like the genocidal crusade option.

But then again, the Uratha being a more stabilized form of the Wolf Hosts is a "heresy" that's been mentioned quite a few times before. Dunno if any books officially had that, but I've seen a lot of it in the forums. Now that it's been revealed that both the Uratha and Shartha are the weakened descendants of Pangaeans, who were both flesh and spirit, the heresy sounds even more convincing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X