Dark Eras - The Fall of Fenris

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Well not Ragnarok myths of Fenris destroying the World being there popular in Northern cultures around early 800s?
    Maybe. Is there textual or archeological evidence we can point to of Fenris that early? Like I said, I just did a quick google, not an exhaustive search. Maybe I'll hit JSTOR in the morning.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

A random idea that came to me a little after reading the section on the Chains. In its current form, it either breaks some rules on spirits or is still lacking in its effects. All input on this Fetish is welcome and appreciated.

Chain of Fenris (Fetish ooo to ooooo)
      When Destroyer Wolf breaks free from the chains which hold him prisoner, some of his Essence is imbued into their fragments, transforming them into powerful and unique Fetishes. While they cannot bring low a Firstborn or a spirit of equal power, they remain potent tools in binding lesser spirits.

Effect: Each Chain of Fenris can function as a bane against spirits whose Rank is equal to or less than half their dot rating, rounded up.
      Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        Maybe. Is there textual or archeological evidence we can point to of Fenris that early? Like I said, I just did a quick google, not an exhaustive search. Maybe I'll hit JSTOR in the morning.
        Most written accounts about both Fenrir (the common name when not writing "the Fenris Wolf" as a compound word) and Ragnarök comes from the two Eddas so those myths were definitely alive by the 1100s. But earlier art that depicts Fenrir and Týr is not uncommon. The earliest piece of art that is believed to depict Fenrir and Týr came from the 400s (the Golden Horns of Gallehus).
        Ragnarök is a bit more difficult to depict, but there is art from Anglo-Saxon crosses/rune stones on Isle of Man and the Hebrides from the 900s that is generally thought to depict Ragnarök. It's hard to say how much the myths has changed over the years, but it's quite likely some version was told as early as the 800s. Just how common it was is another matter.

Comment

Wow! This is awesome on so many levels! I was just asking on the main CofD forum if people would be interested in Night Horrors books for individual eras. This looks like exactly the type of thing I would hope out of one of those books!

I'm actually trying to finish up my timeline for The Wolf and the Raven right now, so my mind immediately asks when Fenris was likely chained. The earliest reference to him I can find with a quick google is Thorwald's Cross, which some have dated to 940. So maybe late 800s early 900s?
          ​Given the Dark Era's covered time period is supposed to begin at ~700, I'd say maybe in the 600s so there's time for it to start to percolate through.

- Chris Allen
          Freelance Writer, The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Where are described Hive-Claimed more, that Jotuns are? Do they have some Rank or Horror Potency to judge their 'threat level' to the werewolf pack? Could I just put one giant in starting story and hope that my pack players will not be killed in first 3 rounds?

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
            MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
            MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

Where are described Hive-Claimed more, that Jotuns are? Do they have some Rank or Horror Potency to judge their 'threat level' to the werewolf pack? Could I just put one giant in starting story and hope that my pack players will not be killed in first 3 rounds?
              The way I see it, the jotnar aren't the type of foe you just toss out into the Chronicle. Plus, fighting one encourages players to be smarter in combat rather than relying just on brute force.

On a semi-related note, seeing as I read Conquering Heroes recently, another idea came to mind. What if (some of) the jotnar are not Hive-Claimed, but Insatiables? Granted, that would already extend into crossover territory, but it does fit in my opinion.
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-10-2017, 08:38 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

The current available rules for Hive-Claimed are in the "Forge Servant (Claimed)" Essence Shaping power of the Idigam on page 219 of the corebook.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Hive-Claimed rules are in the idigam section of the corebook. Broadly speaking, for a Hive-Claimed, assume it is significantly tougher than a normal Claimed of the same Rank, depending on just how many spirits are crammed in there. These jotnar have additional Dread Powers that make them even tougher.

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

On a semi-related note, seeing as I read Conquering Heroes recently, another idea came to mind. What if (some of) the jotnar are not Hive-Claimed, but Insatiables? Granted, that would already extend into crossover territory, but it does fit in my opinion.
                  ​I haven't read Conquering Heroes and don't know anything about Insatiables. From what I do​ know of Beast, which may be inapplicable in the case of Insatiables, it seems unlikely.

- Chris Allen
                  Freelance Writer, The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Fenris appears on gold bracteates at least as early as 500 ad (however I want to say earlier, maybe a hundred years or so, perhaps a lot earlier given that he would have to be developed enough to appear on a worship item like a gold disc). Fenris is featured biting the hand of Tiwaz, pre- Odin introduction into scandinavian culture. It predates the massive volcanic eruption of (iirc) Iceland that blotted out the sun for roughly a year. This time period of the mid 500's corresponds to the time when Tiwaz drops down to Tyr and loses his/her status as the sky god (originally hermaphroditic) and is replaced by the war deity from the south, Wodan/Odin.

This does make Fenrir in norse mythos OLDER in the cosmology then Odin. I am not sure if Fenrir is in continental germanic paganism, or if he has an analogue in their culture. I've been told by an anglo-saxon heathen and historian that germanic heathenry lacks Loki.

This information, and more on the matter of sky worship can be found in "Tracing old norse cosmology: the world tree, middle earth and the sun in archaeological perspectives" by Anders Andren. (https://www.amazon.com/Tracing-Old-N...an+archaeology)

relevant bracteate: https://www.reddit.com/r/ArtefactPor...norse_god_tyr/

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Has anyone considered doing a crossover writeup for this? Granted, it wouldn't be too different from what was covered in the Wolf and the Raven, but I was thinking this one could focus more on the repercussions tied to Fenris-Ur's imprisonment. Also, if I read it correctly, Ymir happens to have several Beasts and changelings under its thrall, and they helped to weave together the Firstborn's prison.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                      X