X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werewolves are all Liz Lemon

Reposted from my tumblr:

(spoilers for large images)
    Not in a literal sense, but in a narrative one. Liz’s character arc is about finding a work/life balance. The core internal struggle of the Uratha in Werewolf: The Forsaken (especially 2nd Edition) is about finding a balance between their Flesh sides and their Spirit sides. There’s also some angsty stuff about how they can never really truly belong anywhere because choosing to focus on one of their sides leads to destruction and internal chaos, but 30 Rock is a comedy TV show and Werewolf is a horror game so not everything’s going to sync up perfectly.

Fun note, in looking for images for this post I found a lot more werewolves in 30 Rock than I expected, or remembered.

Let’s start with a brief explanation of Harmony and why it’s important to Werewolf. Like most of the other * of Darkness games, Werewolf has a stat that tracks the player characters’ behavior. In Werewolf, this stat is Harmony, and it represents how balanced the character is. In 2nd Edition, having a high Harmony means the character is too attuned to their Flesh side, and they find shapeshifting difficult, and painful, and Rage more easily (leading to dead parents, ruined relationships, etc…), while having a low Harmony means the character is too attuned to their Spirit side, and they find shapeshifting too easy (it happens even if they don’t want it to), they have to abide by bizarre spiritual behaviors, and they Rage more easily. You wanna keep your Harmony in the middle. Characters also have two Touchstones, which are NPCs, places, or ideologies that serve as a focus for the Flesh or Spirit.
    Liz Lemon has these same problems. Her Spirit side is her job as the head writer of TGS, a Saturday Night Live-style comedy show on NBC. Her Spirit Touchstone is the show itself. Her Flesh side is her desire to have a family. Most of her problems stem from the fact that she doesn’t have a stable Flesh touchstone until she meets Criss. The best part of this is that she suffers a lot of the same problems as a low-Harmony werewolf: strange, obsessive behaviors; prone to blacking out and making terrible decisions; and adopting strange eating habits.
    Basically this, all the time. It’s not good for her health. Also, she kidnaps babies

The point of all of this is that werewolves, like Liz Lemon, are the splat about Having it AllTM. Liz’s arc finishes when she’s at Harmony 5: she’s married and has kids but she’s also still a comedy writer at NBC. Obviously she has to make compromises to maintain that Harmony, but such is life.

A good Werewolf: The Forsaken game is a juggling act between the extremes of the characters’ natures. Whether they’re maintaining a healthy balance or diving into the deep end of Harmony, playing out those moments is how you find the game’s heart. The Storyteller and players need to include the little mundane moments of their characters’ lives and showcase the compromises the werewolves need to make. Show them abandoning a Sacred Hunt to attend their son’s dance recital. Show them missing a date to mediate a dispute between the local packs and spirit court. Show them miss picking up their newly-adopted kids to try and save the pack’s sketch comedy TV show. And then the pack comes together to make sure that they can go meet their kids instead.
    Werewolf, like all Chronicles of Darkness games, is about the struggle. But remember, not all struggles have to be monumental.
    I just love this picture and want to include it in every blog I write forever. Go check out @heymonster

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
    Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
    He/him pronouns, please

Jack's a great Ivory Claw.

Would Kenneth be a Fire-Touched?

I like your take on this.

Comment

I have Jack as their totem actually. He "belongs" to a court of executives and the super rich. Which makes Tracy the Ithaeur since he's closer to that world than anybody else. Liz herself is an Elodoth. Kenneth is clearly a Lune.

I admit, I haven't put much thought into tribes, seeing them as where the metaphor starts to break down.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
      He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Naturally naturally. In going with the work = spirit angle, I was conflating workaholics like Kenneth and Jack with the more spiritually-inclined. Plus like the Ivory Claws, Jack moves 'among the wealthy and powerful.'

My own metaphor falls apart when the other characters get involved. Though I'd probably have Tracy as a Ithaeur too.

I suppose Dennis would be a great Bale Hound for a family-friendly version of Werewolf.

Comment

Dennis as a Bale Hound is probably the best comparison I've heard so far.

Also, I want to revise my thoughts on Kenneth, because he actually fits really well as 3 different things: I can see him as a Lune, Beast, or idigam.

He/him pronouns, please

Comment

You do him a disservice, gentlefolk! Kenneth is simply Kenneth, the mysterious associate who may or may not be immortal.

Comment

Kenneth is a Sleeper, unaware that his office-mates are actually werewolves.

He has 5-dots of that merit that lets him willfully ignore the supernatural.

Dragon Rekindled: The Oroboroi Chronicles.
              The official reboot of Dragon: The Embers.

Comment

Working...
              X