Wolf-Blooded lineages (brainstorming)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf-Blooded lineages (brainstorming)

In first edition there were some wolf-blooded lineages, but they have no difference with regular Wolf-Blooded.

In Vampire there are ghouls, and there are ghoul families, with some advantages and mechanical differences from ghouls.
    In Mage there are Sleepwalkers and there are Proximi, with some advantages and mechanical differences from Sleepwalkers.
    In Werewolf, there's (still) no difference among WB and WB lineages.

┬┐Has someone thought on some mechanical rules for WB families?

I thought on some of them for 1st edition, but Im now trying to adapt them to 2nd.

Some of my ideas:

1) There will be two kinds of lineages, greater and lesser. Greater lineages are extended families with tens or hundred of members, product of werewolf breeding for centuries, in an extense territory. Lesser lineages are small local families, with less than ten members (more or less). These rules are for greater lineages.

2) All WB lineages have two tells: one of them is fixed for all members of family. The other one can be choosed for the player. Im thinking in making the players pay for the second one. Not giving them free but paying 3 Merit dots for a second tell. Or even paying just one dot for changing their tell (with some social drawbacks for that).

3) The greater lineages would have a Family Totem. A great spirit that protects the family and give them some benefits. Mechanically, that would work as a Lodge totem, with Blessing, Aspiration, Ban and Lore Merits (those Merits can include some Werewolf Merits). If that lineage is linked to a Lodge, they can use the same Totem and benefits for them.

3b) Minor lineages (and local family branches of greater ones) can have their own local totem, as a pack.

4) If they pay, they can access to Magnanimous Totem and some variant of Moon's Grace.

Doubts:
    1) Should Family Totem give them a sacred prey benefit, as Lodges Totems?

2) Do I give them access to family Renown? (if they have Moon's Grace and have access to gifts, it would be useful)

3) I'm thinking some variant of Moon's Grace: What about limited to packs with Lineage members and werewolves from Tribes or Lodges the lineage is traditionally associated with:
    a) Example: the Ximeno Tribe is traditionally linked to the Hunters in the Darkness: they can buy this Merit if they belong to a pack comprised by Ximenos and Meninna, but they cannot if in their packs there are WB not of the family (although it is a WB only pack).

4) Should I give them the benefits o a Mystery Cult? Or is that too much benefits for them?

Thanks

Has some one thought some mechanical effect for them? Or have different ideas about that?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Uxas; 01-20-2017, 05:38 PM. Reason: Updating with users ideas.

LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

OTHERS (Spanish): Demon: The Redemption, Bloodlines: The Forgotten

I don't see why a wolf-blooded would get Renown. Or what they'd do with it.

You might give them one of the Tribal Blood Merits.

Comment

Yeah. That was a left-off from initial drafts, in which I gave them also access to gifts. I removed that part, but I forget to remove the Renown part.

I'll remove it and change it to Merits.

Thanks.
      Last edited by Uxas; 01-20-2017, 01:02 PM.

LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

Comment

Hm, How about familial totems?

The idea being, these families have Lodge-like Totem spirit patrons.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
        DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
        Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Almarck View Post

That would tie nicely into Benefits (Pack/Totem benefits) and Drawbacks (the Totem's Ban).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

That's a fucking-great-awesome idea!!!! I love it!!!

Comment

Well, I'm glad you like it... uh, so. I'm not sure how to apply it.

I'm guessing a replacement to the normal totem merit is in order. Because such totems don't get as much benefit from those who serve it considering their... longevity.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
              DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
              Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Well, I'm glad you like it... uh, so. I'm not sure how to apply it.

I'm guessing a replacement to the normal totem merit is in order. Because such totems don't get as much benefit from those who serve it considering their... longevity.
                Clarify? I'd think a family/clan sized pool of individuals with the Totem merit, all contributing their dots, would be a pretty nice boon for a spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  I don't see why a wolf-blooded would get Renown. Or what they'd do with it.

You might give them one of the Tribal Blood Merits.
                  If I recall correctly, there's a precedent for it. In The Pack there's the Moon's Grace Merit (on pg. 31) that gives Human and/or Wolf-Blooded packs access to Pack Tactics, Wolf Rites, Renown and Shadow/Wolf Gifts (at three, four, and five dots, respectively). The standard use of Totem would probably be unlikely, just by sheer numbers, but purchasing Magnanimous Totem (The Pack pg. 30) would help counteract that, and it would mean they'd have to spend time honouring the Totem too, which gives them the 'weird family tradition' angle.

Alternatively, treat it as a small Lodge Totem, which means that the Totem Blessing is more abstract and less concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post

If I recall correctly, there's a precedent for it. In The Pack there's the Moon's Grace Merit (on pg. 31) that gives Human and/or Wolf-Blooded packs access to Pack Tactics, Wolf Rites, Renown and Shadow/Wolf Gifts (at three, four, and five dots, respectively). The standard use of Totem would probably be unlikely, just by sheer numbers, but purchasing Magnanimous Totem (The Pack pg. 30) would help counteract that, and it would mean they'd have to spend time honouring the Totem too, which gives them the 'weird family tradition' angle.

Alternatively, treat it as a small Lodge Totem, which means that the Totem Blessing is more abstract and less concrete.
                    Thank you very much. This information has been very useful. I'm thinking how to include those Merits in it.

About the Totem, I think that I'll go for the Lodge version. I'm thinking more on extended families than can have tens or hundreds of members, products of the breeding by werewolves during centuries. If so, they should have also a Sisku-dar?
                    For lesser families of few members (or local branches of great lineages), I think I'll go with the totem merits option.

Im going to edit with those ideas.

Comment

Edited first post ith some of yours ideas:

Some of my ideas:

1) There will be two kinds of lineages, greater and lesser. Greater lineages are extended families with tens or hundred of members, product of werewolf breeding for centuries, in an extense territory. Lesser lineages are small local families, with less than ten members (more or less). These rules are for greater lineages.

2) All WB lineages have two tells: one of them is fixed for all members of family. The other one can be choosed for the player. Im thinking in making the players pay for the second one. Not giving them free but paying 3 Merit dots for a second tell. Or even paying just one dot for changing their tell (with some social drawbacks for that).

3) The greater lineages would have a Family Totem. A great spirit that protects the family and give them some benefits. Mechanically, that would work as a Lodge totem, with Blessing, Aspiration, Ban and Lore Merits (those Merits can include some Werewolf Merits). If that lineage is linked to a Lodge, they can use the same Totem and benefits for them.

3b) Minor lineages (and local family branches of greater ones) can have their own local totem, as a pack.

4) If they pay, they can access to Magnanimous Totem and some variant of Moon's Grace.

But I still have some doubts:

2) Do I give them access to family Renown? (if they have Moon's Grace and have access to gifts, it would be useful)

3) I'm thinking some variant of Moon's Grace: What about limited to packs with Lineage members and werewolves from Tribes or Lodges the lineage is traditionally associated with:
                      a) Example: the Ximeno Tribe is traditionally linked to the Hunters in the Darkness: they can buy this Merit if they belong to a pack comprised by Ximenos and Meninna, but they cannot if in their packs there are WB not of the family (although it is a WB only pack).

4) Should I give them the benefits o a Mystery Cult? Or is that too much benefits for them?
                      Last edited by Uxas; 01-20-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uxas View Post
                        Edited first post ith some of yours ideas:

Some of my ideas:

But I still have some doubts:

1. So it's just terminology, then?
                        2. Is the second Tell the packaged Benefits+Drawback, or something else?
                        3. Nice theme, and source of the effects.
                        4. Would this vary by Totem/Lineage, or all have access to it?

1. I don't see why - Wolf-Blooded aren't default Hunters the way werewolves are. They often fulfill other roles, so tying them to Sacred Prey may not make sense.
                        2. Are you saying they have access to Renown, or their entire Family has one Renown pool?
                        3. Sounds complicated.
                        4. I'd think some have Mystery Cults, but it wouldn't be something they have by default. The largest, longest lived lineages probably have one (or more!), but that's more the function of being a large, old cult (albeit bound by blood).

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          1. So it's just terminology, then?
                          Not just terminology. Greater lineages would work as Lodges, mechanically. Lesser lineages would work as packs. As point three.

2. Is the second Tell the packaged Benefits+Drawback, or something else?
                          It would work as a normal Tell. With its packaged Benefits+Drawback. So I'm unsure if make the players pay it or just gave it for free to whoever wants it.

4. Would this vary by Totem/Lineage, or all have access to it?
                          Probably will vary, but Im not still thought all the details. Maybe Moon's Grace only allows them access to certain specific Gifts specifically linked to the family's theme or their Tribu associated. But I stll have to work this part. It was an idea for a 1st Edition Setting and I'm just updating it to 2nd Edition rules, with a lot of changes (1st edition splat was linked to the variable WB Merit).

1. I don't see why - Wolf-Blooded aren't default Hunters the way werewolves are. They often fulfill other roles, so tying them to Sacred Prey may not make sense.
                          Yeah, that was what I thought, but I had doubts. So no Sacred Prey benefit.

2. Are you saying they have access to Renown, or their entire Family has one Renown pool?
                          They have access to Renown, they can buy it as Werewolves. I thought an specifical kind of Renown. But I still have to work this.

4. I'd think some have Mystery Cults, but it wouldn't be something they have by default. The largest, longest lived lineages probably have one (or more!), but that's more the function of being a large, old cult (albeit bound by blood).
                          Yeah. I was thinking in the greatest and oldest lineages. Not the small families.

Thanks for your help.
                          Last edited by Uxas; 01-22-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Pardon the necromancy, but might you be able to list some examples, as a proof of concept and to illustrate how it should work out?

Comment

Finally, I've worked them as Packs with Totems, but with a Lineage Patron.

Tomorrow I'll translate the rules (I've written them in Spanish) and put some concepts of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X