Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you handle spirit/ghost bans and banes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you handle spirit/ghost bans and banes?

I am curious considering the whole train of though of "if the players arent right make them right" of gaming nowadays, how people handle ghost/spirits banes and bans?

Do you guys have the ban/bane prewritten and players have to guess is (this is assuming they dont have a Ithaeur) or the ban/bane exist in flux until a player comes with a good enough idea?

The first one. Every spirit has a story, its bane is part of that story.

That said, it's not so much guessing as it is research and investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
      I am curious considering the whole train of though of "if the players arent right make them right" of gaming nowadays, how people handle ghost/spirits banes and bans?

Do you guys have the ban/bane prewritten and players have to guess is (this is assuming they dont have a Ithaeur) or the ban/bane exist in flux until a player comes with a good enough idea?
      The Ban and Bane are so important to running interactions with spirits I make sure that as storyteller those are defined before I worry about dice pools, manifestations or numina, even if it is a spirit that is being presented on the fly. It's what I define right after the general nature and rank.

So Pre-written unless I was intending to use the Clue system in CofD as way have the players be part of the creation process. In that latter case I would make sure the said spirit was not "on screen" so to speak until it was defined either by me if the players failed their investigation, or what the players "discovered". (Without definition it is hard to run an interactions consistently) So basically, they'd be reacting to the aftermath of the spirit and researching it in the second option, and if the scene came where they encountered it, it'd be either the results of their clues, or me arbitrating a secret or partially secret ban/bane. The second case is a pretty specific story setup, and is not generally how I do it.
      Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 02-08-2017, 03:33 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
      "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

For significant spirits, I think them up beforehand.

​For moments when the ithaeur uses Shadow Gaze on random bit-part spirits, I panic and frantically try to come up with something on the spur of the moment.

- Chris Allen
        Freelance Writer, The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Working...
        X