What can do spirit to small town?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can do spirit to small town?

In Mage game I have a plot where rather powerful ( Rank 3 ) Spirit of Sacrifice where pretending to be 'an angel from God' sent to New England small town ( circa 1000 citizens ) cult of Good Christians, as leading them into 'divine retribution' and 'cleansing of sins' like Abraham need to made to his son Isaac - only in their version, angel convinced prophet to kill his only son. Our 'Mexeriel' ( the Spirit ) lead to one or two sacrifices each year, for at least 50 years now. But from the actions of pre-mage PCs, spirit come to the real world, Possessed cults leading priest and PCs (literally) explode their church with Awakenings, running for their lives to next big city ( Boston, in this case). Now it's almost one month from those events. So I ask Werewolf community as knowing best Spirits matters:
    1. Do I get right that to survive in priests body, our Mexeriel would need to make at least small sacrifice each day to generate his Essence? And we talk here 'she scared her arms and legs' or 'angel said we need to kill each one of us each day' Essence generating?
    2. Can our Mexeriel 'angel' have - I don't know - Numina, Manifestation or other thing letting him to Posses many people at once?
    3. Should really Spirits cultist survive one month with their 'angel' so near to them?
    I assume we do not have other powers nearby, like Uratha or greater spirit court interested in this small town.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Do I get right that to survive in priests body, our Mexeriel would need to make at least small sacrifice each day to generate his Essence?
    The Resonant Condition, once frozen with a more lasting Manifestation, serves as a source of Essence regardless. The host of Mexeriel is going to be an appropriate host for a spirit of sacrifice as long as he continues to resonate with the concept of sacrifice in one way or another. (Personal articles and markings are good for this.)

Can our Mexeriel 'angel' have - I don't know - Numina, Manifestation or other thing letting him to Posses many people at once?
    He can have a retinue of lesser spirits of sacrifice and/or break out Implant Mission and/or have worked the cult's practices such that cultists are sufficiently conditioned to be Open to him and use Host Jump.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Can our Mexeriel 'angel' have - I don't know - Numina, Manifestation or other thing letting him to Posses many people at once?
      ​There is not, currently, a Numina or Manifestation that allows such a thing, but it's precisely the sort of interesting power that's worth cooking up a custom one for. Just up the number of targets that can be Possessed at once for an increase in Essence cost; not a 3-per-person cost, as that'll rapidly exhaust the spirit and make the power basically useless. Maybe an advanced Possess Crowd Manifestation that requires Possession, lets the spirit add more targets to Possession at, say, 1 Essence extra per two additional targets?

Should really Spirits cultist survive one month with their 'angel' so near to them?
      ​That rather depends on what the spirit does and what it wants, what its agenda is. I mean, in the long run things are probably going to get pretty horrific, but in the short term it won't necessarily manage to grind through or drive off an entire cult of a thousand people in one month, even if it particularly indulges its appetites.

- Chris Allen
      Freelance Writer, The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
        ​That rather depends on what the spirit does and what it wants, what its agenda is. I mean, in the long run things are probably going to get pretty horrific, but in the short term it won't necessarily manage to grind through or drive off an entire cult of a thousand people in one month, even if it particularly indulges its appetites.
        What I mean - it's Spirit of Sacrifice - he probably would want sacrifices from his cultists. I just wonder how much it would be - making scares on body every day on each of them? Or killing one person each day?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )

Comment

Sacrifice is actually pretty broad, believe it or not. It doesn't necessarily involve blood, maiming and murder.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Seeing as Mexeriel 'get fat' by people sacrifices to him, I think he will be at least going for physical damaging. I only have problem in gauging how much Essence would it give.

Comment

What I mean - it's Spirit of Sacrifice - he probably would want sacrifices from his cultists. I just wonder how much it would be - making scares on body every day on each of them? Or killing one person each day?
              ​Again, this depends a lot on the exact nature of the spirit, the context, etc. If it's burning through Essence at a high rate due to needing to use powers a lot, it may be more aggressive in its demands for sacrifice. You could literally justify anything from a very subtle, metaphorical sacrifice from constituents every week/month/year, to a terrifying demand for a single bloody sacrifice under each full moon, to a flare-up of religious fervour where the possessed cult head leads everyone to burn all their worldly possessions in sacrifice over the course of a few days - and then, lacking anything else, having them turn on one another to root out the 'weak of faith' or 'infiltrators' or whoever else can be nailed as a scapegoat and given as a sacrifice, in a brutal and rapid escalation into utter carnage and madness.

- Chris Allen
              Freelance Writer, The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

Sacrifice literally means 'to give something up.' It's quite possible that the Spirit, for example, just has its host slowly give away all its belongings until its starving and destitute before moving on to physical harm and then just moves on to the next one when it gets "used up" after about a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBreaksIt View Post
                  Sacrifice literally means 'to give something up.' It's quite possible that the Spirit, for example, just has its host slowly give away all its belongings until its starving and destitute before moving on to physical harm and then just moves on to the next one when it gets "used up" after about a year or so.
                  So after one month burning everything in town and start of starvation in worshipers?

Comment

I think what they're saying is that given the fact that it's not losing Essence it wouldn't need to blow through 1000 people in a month. And even if it did absolutely need Essence, it wouldn't need to resort to 'human sacrifice' on a massive scale.

You could probably make things more drastic by changing it from spirit of sacrifice to spirit of human sacrifice, but even then it would last a long while, especially in a town where human sacrifice happens once or twice a year already.
                    Last edited by nofather; 02-14-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

You're taking the concept of sacrifice in an exceedingly narrow fashion. For a spirit of the third rank? You can go considerably meta-physical with the concept. Nevermind that sacrifice is a concept, in and on itself. If it was just a spirit of bloody sacrifice, it'd be only rank 2 at most.

Examples that would open someone to a religious spirit of sacrifice?

People who've taken up celibacy, or a vow of poverty, or a vow of silence, religious fasting, etc, etc, etc.

The horror happens when they break those vows. Also, they're things that can be compelled with Implant Mission.
                      Last edited by Malus; 02-16-2017, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X