No announcement yet.

[2E] Werewolves and Social Maneuvering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure. Different packs, and different werewolves, are going to see different goals and outcomes as worthy of the Siskur Dah. I believe there was a lodge in first edition that dealt with stopping spiritual warfare, and so a hunt to broker a peace between two warring spirits and their lesser courts would be fine, and calling a Sacred Hunt to get an ally, or a totem, is probably something many packs deal with.

My werewolf believed the Sacred Hunt was only called upon to kill, and refused to lead the rite when it was for anything other than that.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      Still, returning to topic, as you need always to call the Prey of the Hunt in Rite - and Prey most of the time is inteligent being - you still probably can do Social Maneuvering on Prey as way to Sacred Hunt? So could 'making Spirit Lord our ally' as proper Sacred Hunt resolution?
      Like I said above, Social Maneuvering can be a solid way to perform a Sacred Hunt depending on how you go about it. If you hunt down Spirit Lord XYZ, and prove yourself through challenges, then I can see it. If you sit down and try to diplomacy your way through, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
        Like I said above, Social Maneuvering can be a solid way to perform a Sacred Hunt depending on how you go about it. If you hunt down Spirit Lord XYZ, and prove yourself through challenges, then I can see it. If you sit down and try to diplomacy your way through, not so much.
        Thinking about Sacred Hunts against incredibly powerful spirits, the First-Born and the founding of the Tribes sound like a time of Sacred Hunt to me, but given that resolving the Sacred Hunt allows you to drain all the essence of a spirit, how potent would the Social Maneuvering need to be, and wouldn't using the Social Chase Rules as per page 86 in CofD be more appropriate, both thematically and mechanically?
        Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 02-21-2017, 06:13 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
        "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

If defeating the spirit's challenges made it bow to you and let you drain its essence as a free tithe type situation, completely acceptable. Remember, you can have that as your goal in Social Maneuvering.

I'm not going to say what is or is not more appropriate, just because there may be a time when the appropriateness switches. I don't believe in absolutes one way or the other. Is using social maneuvering going to be extremely rare? Quite probably so. Is that the same as never? Not in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
            If defeating the spirit's challenges made it bow to you and let you drain its essence as a free tithe type situation, completely acceptable. Remember, you can have that as your goal in Social Maneuvering.

I'm not going to say what is or is not more appropriate, just because there may be a time when the appropriateness switches. I don't believe in absolutes one way or the other. Is using social maneuvering going to be extremely rare? Quite probably so. Is that the same as never? Not in my opinion.
            I see what you are saying, though a combination of Social Maneuvering and Social Chase used together, possible in different phases/stages of the overall plan (character goals) and/or plot (player and storyteller goals) would make for some dynamic storytelling scenes. Social Chase does have a ring to it though, cornering someone social seems particularly like "Hunting". Social Maneuvering seems like what may start and/or end a chase. I do agree that it'd likely be a case by case situation as to what is most appropriate, but if the scope is large enough I'd be disappointed if it wasn't a multi-tier challenge.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
            "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

But what would be those situations? What would like Sacred Hunt as Social Maneuvering and as Social Chase? Maybe some examples on those?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
              My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Make that spirit the totem for our lodge, pack, protectorate or tribe. Make that spirit stop attacking or defending a certain thing. Find out something, like a bane of a spirit or what happened to the Lost Pack from a spirit of secrets. Finding Duke Silver and getting him to tell us the location of every silver weapon in the city.

The protectorate in Bristol has a powerful spirit binding it together. Arranging something like that.
                Last edited by nofather; 02-21-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Wasn't one of the Firstborn recruited by winning a riddle contest, or similar? The Storm Lord totem put forth challenges for werewolves to withstand before offering his patronage - the challenges could each be a different Maneuver to convince Frosty the weres were worthy. Maybe a spirit has a ban that can be manipulated through Social Maneuvering, like telling a better story or something?

Comment

Working...
                  X