How would you do this mystery cult?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you do this mystery cult?

I brainstormed this idea for a antagonist in Werewolf. They are basically a Spacex like corporation that makes satelities and other space vehicles. My question is how they could work in Werewolf.

I guess it depends on why they are sending stuff into space? Is it to bring something back like Hellboy:conquering worm?

Comment

Of course it works. In fact, it works fantastically as a cult seving either an idigam or a void spirit (spirits from outer space), or both. Now, what benefits they give to cultists depend on just exactly what they do and are. Mystery Cults need a Purpose it believes in, Doctrines its followers adhere to, and a Relic it's worship is centered around. Any ideas yet for those?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Well, alien spirits and invaders are a thing. Luna and her forces can't get all of them, and Werewolves are seemingly a backup defense. So a human group that's been corrupted/influenced by one would definitely be a solid route. Could just go with an Idigram that's been sitting back for the long game, but it could go all kinds of ways.

Comment

Some of werewolf's special antagonists only became a problem after they were brought back from the moon. It certainly fits.

Comment

I haven't came up with any merits yet. But, their relic could be a chunk of a crashed meteor they call " The Rock of Inspiration". This rock was discovered by their founder two years before the Idigam came back. The Rock whispered to him and told him to prepare for the arrival of The Great One. In the process, it drove him mad. Also, I am picturing a illustration with werewolves bursting into a lab while their's panicked scientists fleeing in the background.

Comment

Is the whole corporation a gigantic cult, or are only the top executives in it?

Comment

I wouldn't have them think of themselves as a cult, or even touching upon the supernatural. Instead they think they have made contact with some form of advanced extraterrestrial life form and all of their efforts are devoted to helping it reach Earth where it can use its superior knowledge to elevate mankind (while coincidentally making them rich and powerful).
                Dress up their supernatural merit traits as super science.

Comment

Over 10,000 employees are in the cult, that is 10 percent of all employees. I don't if their God is a spirit or Idigam. But, it looks like a mix between a lion, a dragon and a falcon . The corp is using it's tech to bring their God to earth.

Comment

So, are they launching beacon satellites to call/guide their God from the void/Moon? Using them to create an orbital "leyline" (Locus) adjustment network, to summon their patron?

You could structure them as a Spirit/Claimed "Pack", giving them access to Pack benefits, and Rites.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

100,000 is a pretty massive company. I mean, the real SpaceX has about 5000 employees total.

Plus, 10,000 in a mystery cult is a lot. I'd ask why does the cult need to include that many people? Ultimately the cult just wants to use an otherwise normal spaceship to do something supernatural. There's no obvious reason to bring more people into it that you need.

Comment

I will lower the cult number to about 500 and the company's size to about 2,000 members. Yes, they are using satellites to beacon and summon their god.

Comment

So how does this cult antagonize local werewolves? Are they flooding the local Shadow with alien Resonance? Greedily grabbing every corporate resource in the market and leaving the wolves' own operations lean? Cooperating with a sect of Fire-Touched who worship void spirits? Tearing apart the Gauntlet in the skies to build a gateway for their god? Top members are Claimed by powerful spirit-minions?

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
                            Over 10,000 employees are in the cult, that is 10 percent of all employees. I don't if their God is a spirit or Idigam. But, it looks like a mix between a lion, a dragon and a falcon . The corp is using it's tech to bring their God to earth.
                            In my opinion, it should be neither a spirit nor idigam, it should be an Angel, thus outside all the standard spirit based purview of many werewolf powers/rites. Nice Ezekiel reference with the being's appearance by the way, are you using the God-machine from CofD in your Chronicle? I ask because it suits your techno-space-travel angel-referencing motifs.

This all sounds like an Angel using a mortal cult to build Infrastructure. As far as werewolf is concerned, those beings from past the moon are hostile to Earth, as any Lune could warn them (that's why the Luna and Helios guard the Earth from the outer void, one as a shield, the other as a pushing force). I can picture Lunes coming to Forsaken with dire messages about ephemeral hitch-hikers from beyond the moon. Not to mention maybe there are more idigam on the moon itself and more trips there will bring more back. (Conspiracy theory: Werewolves stopped the government from future Apollo missions)

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            100,000 is a pretty massive company. I mean, the real SpaceX has about 5000 employees total.

Plus, 10,000 in a mystery cult is a lot. I'd ask why does the cult need to include that many people? Ultimately the cult just wants to use an otherwise normal spaceship to do something supernatural. There's no obvious reason to bring more people into it that you need.
                            I agree that's a massive conspiracy. If I had to guess it'd to the Original Poster's intent, (just a guess) that large of number makes violence very obviously not the answer, (the momentum of that many people means recruitment would be faster than any violent death rate attrition.

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                            So, are they launching beacon satellites to call/guide their God from the void/Moon? Using them to create an orbital "leyline" (Locus) adjustment network, to summon their patron?
                            Shaping celestial leylines/essence-flows is pretty epic, and having a werewolf packs get involved would be appropriate. Definitely Global or Cosmic in scope, not unlike a modern-day sleeper version of what the Silver Ladder attempted.
                            Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 02-27-2017, 01:53 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                            "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Working...
                            X