Lodge of the Seven Venoms draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodge of the Seven Venoms draft

Hey all. So, one of the PCs in my current Werewolf game wants to join the Lodge of the Seven Venoms (previously mentioned briefly in The Pack), and thus I've put together some draft rules. The usual disclaimer: None of this is official, just my fevered ramblings for my own game.

​What I'm not going to do here is a full write-up of the Lodge background; my main concern is with getting a solid set of mechanics functional in time for the next session! However, rough summary, following on from The Pack - these are basically crazed poison-cultists and alchemists in service to a totem that I think is some sort of abominable magath-horror of venomous entities like centipedes and snakes, mixed in with toxic emotion elements. It hates/hungers for Hosts, and might be a thing that is caught in a semi-Host state; it needs the power and off-cuts of the Shards the cultists eat to prevent itself exploding into a myriad of lesser spiritual horrors in the manner of the true Hosts.

The great, gurgling, venomous nightmare literally needs its cultists to eat Hosts so that it doesn't become one itself.

​Generally the Seven Venoms aren't looked well upon because their weirdness and bizarreness too easily leaks past attempts at maintaining a normal veneer. I won't write up a full Secrets of the Seven Venoms list of the batshit and heretical stuff they do as I want to keep that under my hat for my poor player, but suffice to say there are all sorts of rumours about how they keep menageries of poisoned (not poisonous) animals that they feed their own flesh and blood to, that they undertake horrific Essence alchemy experiments involving turning human victims into Resonance-tanks of befouled blood, that they don't just carve off pieces of their own flesh but pieces of their own mind, that they mutilate themselves in order to slice off warping fragments of their flesh and spirit that would otherwise bud the very Host Shards they've consumed back out of them, etc etc. Some say they actively and intentionally make Hosts somehow, processing the consumed Shards for some great and nightmarish project.

​Anyway, here's the mechanics side of things:

Blessing: The Lodge member can ignore the effects and damage of the Poisoned Tilt or any substance with a Toxicity rating by spending a Willpower point. This does not remove the poison from his body; it merely renders him unaffected by it for its duration. The adherent may choose to transfer the poison on to anyone who attempts to consume his flesh or blood, such as via a bite, by spending a point of Essence. However, the adherent also gains the Addiction Condition for poisons and venoms, and gains the Deprived Condition if he goes without them for at least a day.

Aspiration: To be wounded or mutilated so that some of the adherent’s flesh is cut away.

Ban: The Lodge member must consume any slain or dying Host Shard that he encounters, or any prey that he poisons with the Sacred Hunt.

Sacred Hunt: The Sacred Hunt gives your character the ability to deliver a debilitating soul poison to the chosen prey via your natural weapons or your blood. This venom affects Hosts and other entities that have moved from one physical body to another. It inflicts the grave Poison Tilt on the victim, and the Discorporate Dread Power cannot protect the Host from the venom; the Tilt remains on the Shard that escapes the Host’s collapsing form. Similarly, other powers or supernatural abilities that would let a victim escape from the poisoned body do not help; the soul poison copies the Tilt across to the prey’s new body. Attempting to remove the venom via a supernatural power merely escalates the damage it causes to Aggravated.

Tools:

Shard Venom (Wolf Rite ●●●)
    Turning her own body into a toxic crucible, the cultist transmutes the bilious soul-fragment of a Shard into a concentrated poison
    Symbols: Poison, self-sacrifice, balance, transformation
    Action: Extended (5 successes; 1 roll per 5 minutes)
    Success: This rite can only be performed within a day of the Uratha consuming a Host Shard. It may be only performed once within this period. If the rite is successful, the adherent suffers one point of lethal damage as a single dose of a supernatural poison is produced from her body – a finger may blacken and rot off, she may vomit up toxic bile, a piece of her skin may blister with First Tongue sigils of sickness and peel away, etc. By itself, this venom does nothing, but if mixed with an existing poisonous or toxic substance then it infuses the admixture with one of the following properties, chosen at the time the Uratha performs the ritual:
    • The venom will affect entities in Twilight.
    • The venom inflicts the Exhausted and Shadow Paranoia Conditions.
    • The venom inflicts the Moon Taint Condition.
    • The venom cannot be removed via supernatural means.
    • The venom inflicts the Addicted Condition for the basic poison that the supernatural venom is mixed with.
    • The venom will purge the victim of other venoms and poisons.
    Normally, only a single Shard venom can be mixed with a poison.
    Performing this rite is always a breaking point towards Spirit.

​So, thoughts? Comments?

- Chris Allen
    Freelance Writer, Deviant: the Renegade / The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

I've been wanting this since they were first mentioned and it's better than I would have hoped, fantastic.

The only question I've got so far

However, the adherent also gains the Addiction Condition for poisons and venoms, and gains the Deprived Condition if he goes without them for at least a day.
    Is this an 'always on' Addiction once they join the Lodge, or just active when they use the Blessing's Willpower or Essence power? The way the Addiction Condition works makes it possible to overcome, so if it's an 'always on' one I'd suggest calling it as a Persistent Condition and clarifying it can't be resolved. If not just clarifying what triggers it.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Is this an 'always on' Addiction once they join the Lodge, or just active when they use the Blessing's Willpower or Essence power? The way the Addiction Condition works makes it possible to overcome, so if it's an 'always on' one I'd suggest calling it as a Persistent Condition and clarifying it can't be resolved. If not just clarifying what triggers it.
      ​Intent is for it to be always on while the Blessing is retained (which is relevant because you can lose access to the blessing by buggering around too much with the Ban). So yeah, should probably tag it as Persistent and all that.

- Chris Allen
      Freelance Writer, Deviant: the Renegade / The Pack / Dark Eras / Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Fallen World Chronicle / Trinity Aeon

Comment

i'm really liking those guys so far, i like the aesthetic they invoke. of a bunch of wolfs scarred and leaking poison. also i didn't know a Magath could be a totems, that's cool!

Comment

Can we expect an update with a background on this Lodge anytime soon? These guys certainly would fit in other locales besides Hong Kong, or even Asia for that matter.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
            Can we expect an update with a background on this Lodge anytime soon? These guys certainly would fit in other locales besides Hong Kong, or even Asia for that matter.
            ​Probably at some point. And you're right about locales - for their mention in The Pack, I covered their activities in New Orleans.

- Chris Allen

Comment

Well, as of last night's session my group's Rahu is a member of the Lodge. Established a couple more elements of their background during the game; one of the totem's names is Agathodaimon, and one​ of the stories about the totem's origin is thus: It was originally the venoms inflicted on Wolf by the Spinner Hag and Plague King before they tore themselves apart to escape the Great Predator. The poisons coursing through the god's veins felt betrayed by their progenitors' failure to follow through on killing Wolf after using such lethal venom on it, and so after Wolf's death, the spirit-toxins oozed out of the corpse, took on independent spiritual form and swore vengeance on the remnants of the Hag and King.

- Chris Allen

Comment

Nice origin story. Should be good for Rahu, with such easy access to poison and overt reason to hunt rats and other vermin.

Comment

Oh, and another thing - one of the cult's Dodgy Practices (tm) was established. One of the basic rituals the Lodge practices is of purification; it's important for the Seven Venoms to maintain an anchor to the idea that they may be using poison but they also are separate from it and not controlled by it. The purification practice combines this notion with veneration of and sacrifice to the totem. The adherent is directed to feed their flesh or blood to an animal sacrifice, using their Blessing ability to shunt the poisons they're bearing into it, and offering the animal up to Agathodaimon as its due portion of the poisons they use. New adherents are particularly directed to perform purification during their first month of service to the Lodge, to try and strengthen their bond to the totem and stop them veering hard off the deep end at the very beginning.

- Chris Allen

Comment

Hi!

I'm currently running a multisplat game set in present-day New Orleans, and I'm using the material found in The Pack and in this thread to flesh out the local Lodge of Seven Venoms.

So, besides expressing my heartfelt admiration for your excellent work in the line so far, I've got a small question to ask you regarding the Seven Venoms, perhaps you could help me with it: What is the Lodge' Sacred Prey? There's obviously the Shartha, but probably there's more to it than that, and I'd love to read your take on the matter.
                    Last edited by Zooroos; 08-23-2017, 02:03 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                      ​So, thoughts? Comments?
                      Bernd Jürgen Brandes and Armin Meiwes would've dug this.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooroos View Post
                        Hi!

I'm currently running a multisplat game set in present-day New Orleans, and I'm using the material found in The Pack and in this thread to flesh out the local Lodge of Seven Venoms.

So, besides expressing my heartfelt admiration for your excellent work in the line so far, I've got a small question to ask you regarding the Seven Venoms, perhaps you could help me with it: What is the Lodge' Sacred Prey? There's obviously the Shartha, but probably there's more to it than that, and I'd love to read your take on the matter.

Lodges have a refinement of the Sacred Hunt - that might mean a specific Sacred Prey, or it might mean a particular take on the hunt. The Seven Venoms is a bit of both - they largely focus on a particular way to hunt and kill Shards, but they're also pretty good against other body-snatcher or body-hopper types - the latter capability is probably what draws the none-HiD members to the Lodge, the Iron Masters and Storm Lords mad enough to sign up to a poison-cult.

- Chris Allen

Comment

Working...
                        X