No announcement yet.

WtF terminology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoL is a spiritual successor to DotA, not WC3. However, I do believe creep was already an established term while most or all of the others were created by fans of DotA rather than being introduced by DotA. They are also out-of-setting words for gameplay concepts rather than in-setting terminology, which is what has been discussed the most in this thread. I can also point out that DotA was kinda the first in it's genre so it's a special situation where terms unique to DotA simultaneously are the generally accepted terms of the genre. This is in contrast to werewolves that has been used in media since before any of us were born.
    (Fun fact: The first known werewolf fiction that I could find from a quick google search was from year 8.)

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      That's just not true. If I post "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction", it does not become an opinion simply because it is on a games forum. It is important, even when discussing fictional settings, to recognize the difference between facts and opinions so we can have rational discussion. "Reusing terminology is a common practice" is not an opinion. At this point, you are being contrary just to be contrary. Please stop. It is a positive assertion, which requires supporting evidence to establish as fact.
      Then that would not be talking about something subjective, and I was very specific to include the disclaimer that we are 'talking about something subjective'. In fact, it is extremely troubling that I have to word my posts so carefully in order to avoid your semantic attacks. On a larger level, you've made me feel very unwelcome in this thread and in several other threads over the years. So I officially request that you do not respond to my posts in the future (except when your responsibilities as a Mod require you to do so). I will endeavor to do the same.

In the spirit of that request, I will terminate the discussion now so it does not feel like I am 'baiting' you into another response.

Comment

• Originally posted by Incendax View Post
        Then that would not be talking about something subjective, and I was very specific to include the disclaimer that we are 'talking about something subjective'. In fact, it is extremely troubling that I have to word my posts so carefully in order to avoid your semantic attacks. On a larger level, you've made me feel very unwelcome in this thread and in several other threads over the years. So I officially request that you do not respond to my posts in the future (except when your responsibilities as a Mod require you to do so). I will endeavor to do the same.
        Will do. Sorry for having made you feel unwelcome.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• As a little sidenote, I might mention that I, as someone that enjoys both Werewolves greatly (despite and because of their differences), always thought that the reason the Forsaken's battle form was named Garou was an homage towards Apocalypse and how iconic it was there. When I think of the Garou, I always picture them in Crinos as my most immediate reaction. The same does not apply to Forsaken, at least for me: I don't have a "Uratha iconic shape". Not that's a bad thing, Forsaken does a better job at making you appreciate all the forms, something which required some digging beneath the surface in Apocalypse.

Might also be the reason I always easily accepted the Garou form as "killing machine" form.
          Last edited by Cinder; 03-19-2017, 10:38 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
          Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

• Note that the form is Gauru, not Garou. Although it is undoubtedly a reference to the Garou of Apocalypse, it too fits into the faux-proto-Sumerian language of the Uratha, and roughly translates to "Gift of the Wolf's Maw."

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I think it's less a reference of Apocalypse Garou people, and more just getting back to source language and 'First Tongue-izing' a word that is French for 'werewolf'.

I.e., in Apocalypse, the people were Garou - literally they were 'werewolf'. In Forsaken the people are Uratha, but the classic werewolf form is almost called werewolf.

(I recall we had a discussion about language sources and meanings when figuring out changes between 1st and 2nd editions. Though Gauru makes everyone think of Garou, IIRC it's not meant to be any more of a link than both games calling them werewolves.)

Aims to write stuff you like. WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades The Trinity Continuum | ├ćon

Comment

Working...
              X