[2E] Werewolf Names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Werewolf Names

I'm preparing some NPCs for coming 2E game - and have question related to the topic. Are Uratha still use Deeds Names from 1E Werewolf corebook in modern times? That means that they call themselves 'John Stormbringer' or 'Megan Goldenlocks'? Or are there other standards for naming characters? Maybe modern Uratha just use their pre-First Change names? But seeing how magic ( especially from mages ) works, more reason would be that they use some aliases than their birth names.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

There are a few examples of deed names in the werewolf second edition book, so yes, but it does seem less prevalent or perhaps simply less emphasized.

Also my impression always was that it was more like a replacement or AKA name and not an ammendment. More "My friends call me John. You can call me Stormbringer." Than "Hi, I'm John Stormbringer."
    Last edited by Amravanti; 03-22-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

So who decides what the deed names are? Leaving the decision up to me is probably a mistake.

Comment

In 1E it was assumed you got Deed Name by the Initiation Ceremony to your Tribe. Each Tribe put you against appropriate to it's nature challenge few days after First Change, and you got Deed Name by the Elder Uratha that run this thing, based on your actions.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

OOC obviously the player does. But in character it is usually decided based on a deed the Uratha performed, I would assume usually bestowed by an elder (perhaps one overseeing an initiation trial) or their pack/peers. Hence deed name. They should be significant. They should have meaning, personal and symbolic. The Uratha has to have made an impression on someone, somewhere. An impression that they carry with them, that is tied to their reputation forever.

I don’t know, let’s say a young Iron Master passes her initiation due to a series incredibly risky maneuvers that by all rights should have killed her. The elder overseeing the trial might deem her ‘Nine Lives’ to call attention to how lucky, or how bold she is. She wears it like a badge of honor, fortune favours the bold, she says.

Or hell, perhaps the elder begrudges her her good luck. Perhaps he meant the trial to be overcome through cunning and skill and not good fortune. But a pass is a pass. In that case it might not even be a good name. She might be deemed ‘Lucky Rabbit’, and the name instead speaks of how she fled every danger and managed to escape unscathed. That name might haunt her as she tries to find a pack. Her peers might not take her seriously. But she might cleanse herself of the shame years later when she does something impressive enough, or just pays her dues long enough. Or hell, she might reclaim it. Nobody can catch her. She evades any trap, any ambush. The higher her Cunning grows, the more it becomes known that Lucky Rabbit is the slipperiest New Moon in town.

Similarly a packmate who survives a hunter’s silver bullet to the chest trying to protect his alpha, might still bear the wounds of that day. Perhaps even still feel fragments of silver lodged in his chest, aching anytime he shapeshifts. Regrouping later in their Den or whatever, one of his packmates (perhaps the Alpha) decides to call him Silverheart, and every time they call him by the name they are all remembering his his courage and his loyalty, and their luck at having made it through that encounter without losing anyone. The name means something deeply personal to them. To others, it tells them… “Hey, you know that one story you heard about the Blood Talon who survived 4 silver bullets to the chest and kept on trucking? That’s him. That’s the guy right there, and you just stepped onto his territory.”

That's my take anyway. Honestly there's not much guidance on this stuff, especially for 2e. That's how I use it. Not everyone has one, not everyone wants one, not everyone likes the one they got. But they mean something
          Last edited by Amravanti; 03-22-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I think of the kind of names Spirits would have, the deed name is the name of the wolf, the man is named John.
            This is the name Spirits would know him by.

Comment

But are they separate? So John is day-to-day, 'mortal' name? And Stormbringer is full and only name for Spirits?

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                But are they separate? So John is day-to-day, 'mortal' name? And Stormbringer is full and only name for Spirits?
                Yes, indubitably.

Comment

Spirits don't understand the concept of 'John', they do understand 'Flaming Claws of Death and Pain'.

This also fits with the concept of Harmony; where does John end and Flaming Claws begin?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                    Spirits don't understand the concept of 'John', they do understand 'Flaming Claws of Death and Pain'.

This also fits with the concept of Harmony; where does John end and Flaming Claws begin?
                    Well, you could also sorta deconstruct it when it comes to modern names. "John" comes from a word that means "Graced by God," which is a concept a spirit would understand. We just tend not to know the origins of most of our names today.

Comment

In Dark Eras Forsaken by Rome, we have literal old Germanic Deeds Names like Hludawiga One-Eye, Herudis Deer-Sword and Rikirun the Sly - and similar where names in Wolf and Raven Era of Vikings. So I assume first, 'letters' part is for mortals only and spirits only take adjective part of name as truly meaning something?

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I think there are probably different naming conventions. In the same way that there might be a stronger Modern American Uratha might have one word names like Ghost, Rend, Tango, Cash.

Adjectives the Noun type stuff might be more old school (Runs the River Wild, Heeds the Whisper, Speaks like a Child, etc).

So John the Baptist or Helga Longtooth might be more common in some eras or regions, who knows. But yeah, when I hear Helga Longtooth I do instinctively think it really means: Helga aka Longtooth, Or Helga 'Longtooth' Horvath. It's really up to you.

Comment

I've always mixed up how characters in my games treat deed-names, and the conventions they use. Some treat it as a suffix (e.g.: "Irmgard the Stricken"), while others use it more like a superhero's alter ego or an alternate name they use in different circles (Carl McPhee, aka "Pays-the-Price"). Others mix the two, with names like "Max Headwound" or "Shotgun Annie". I like the idea of "Verb-the-Noun" names being more archaic, too.

The most important thing for me, I think, is that the names MEAN something - they tell other Uratha (and spirits, although I think deed names are more important to the People, imo) something about them, whether it's a characteristic or an important deed from their past.

In my current game, none of the PCs have a deed-name yet, but they're keeping an eye out for something to warrant it. I like that.

Freelance OPP. Dark Eras, Shattered Dreams, and counting!

Comment

I was going to offer more, but NateD summed up pretty much how I run Deed Names. You earn them through deeds or events, and they have a story of some sort behind them.

Comment

Looking over some inspirations for Deeds Names, I come to see Norse Kennings list, that works as nice examples list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kennings

LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X