[Dark Eras] Forsaken by Rome – Roman Uratha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras] Forsaken by Rome – Roman Uratha

So new Dark Era has lore. A LOT of lore. It’s glorious and cool - but somehow I feel it’s to crammed to properly parses it. This topic is to explain all of it, in more friendly take. If you feel I got something wrong, point me where and how so. I will probably do similar thing for Germania Tribes, if feel need for it. So, let’s look over Roman werewolves here…

Origins: Roman Uratha stem from Romulus that with his twin brother Remus where raised by Acca Larentia – who was werewomen. As Acca in real world is in different versions saint women, prostitute and Capitoline Wolf itself – I certainly can see it all as one Uratha female. Still, weird to me is not saying that Capitoline Wolf is Mother Wolf and Luna is her Mother-Lover that created Uratha in first place.

As both Romulus and Remus were Uratha ( probably by taking it from Acca ), Romulus killed brother in fit of Rage. Now all Roman werewolves say they come from Romulus linage. Particular two great clans comes from them…

Side note: Remus corpses were legendary host for dark forces that pray on living and wanted to go underground Rome at day – interesting twist in vampires origins.

Next on, Government of Uratha…
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-23-2017, 01:31 PM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

o.m.g.....

Comment

Government: Roman Uratha and Wolf-Blooded are split over to two great clans that run Roman Protectorate. First are Saturi, under protection of Ivory Claws, that are entwined with patrician class of Roman citizens. Second are Marisi, under care of Iron Masters, that are connected to plebeian class of society. Both Saturi and Marisi fighted for power with each king chosen from one or another family.

Finally, at birth of Republic, they made alliance on to make sure that local dispute did not mean end of Roman werewolves blood – they called their Roman kind as the Urdeshga, and their territories as the Romulan Protectorate. The Urdeshga established the Council of Eagles and Lightning, Concilium Aquilarum et Fulminum, to represent and rule the Protectorate and their families. The Council consists of 12 Saturi Ancilia and 12 Marisi Salii — each respected and politically powerful within their family, and usually of advanced age. Non-Urdeshga can only become ‘associated member’ – called Foederati – but only by loyalty to one Council member. Outside of official Council protection in Romulan Protectorate you can become pray to any member Hunts.

Next on, Shadow Realm of Rome…
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-23-2017, 01:05 PM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )

Comment

Shadow Realm: Roman Uratha call their spirits as two tiers – low Ranks ( Rank 1-3, I assume ) are Lares, household personal spirits. High Ranks ( Rank 4-5 ) are called Maters and took the names and forms of Rome’s gods. In 205 BCE, the Senate sent for a statue of Cybele from Pergamon and with it came Magna Mater – great Shadow goddess that quickly become patron of Rome itself. But something was wrong with Magna…

On the other hand, Council of Eagles and Lighting had totems, of course, of Eagle and Lighting. By centuries it evolved into coherent spirit-symbol of Roman conquest and Legions, known as Aquilae. And this is how it looks:

Hathis-Ur: I still do not understand who is Hathis-Ur – and checked specifically both 1E and 2E corebooks for term. Someone can help on this?
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-23-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Hathis-Ur is the First Tongue name for Silver Wolf, patron of the Ivory Claws. I find it interesting that the high-Rank Maters of the Roman Shadow actively take the name and image of their gods, but it isn't all that surprising when you think about it. Now, Cybele, I find very intriguing. The name Magna Mater would suggest she is Rank 6 at least. What appears to be the problem with this spirit? Insane like Irnanim the Colossus or secretly an Idigam?

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
            Now, Cybele, I find very intriguing. The name Magna Mater would suggest she is Rank 6 at least. What appears to be the problem with this spirit? Insane like Irnanim the Colossus or secretly an Idigam?
            Will not say anything here...

Comment

I'm salivating over this. I knew Forsaken by Rome would make me a Werewolf fanboy but I never knew how much.

EDIT: ...how long before this becomes available to the general public again???

Comment

A few weeks to get errata, maybe a month for finishing touches. I've no idea.

It's definitely my favorite Dark Era now, very well done. I loved the Sundered World but only really for the werewolf section. I was hesitant way before because it was implied to be just about the barbarian werewolves under Rome's rule, and figured it would dismiss the werewolves as woodland savages or something, though nikink helped dissuade me of that. I was worried when I first started reading and saw it hinged on, basically, a single act, but it's great. It's definitely going to be fun to play, I love the use of protectorates, especially Pure and Forsaken ones.
                Last edited by nofather; 03-23-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I'm more frustrated than I should be at how little the Magna Mater in the text resembles the historical Magna Mater. There's a token reference to its origin as being bound within a statue of Cybele, but none of the actual details on her role as a fertility deity out of Anatolia, or the super interesting detail that her cult consisted largely of self-castrated men who lived as women.

Why bother drawing on the name of a historical cult if you're not gonna use it?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Probably because the name was just usurped by Shar-Z’ghub. The goddess existed before it even came into play.

There's also the point that most of the era takes place outside of Rome itself, focusing on the legions and the night and day tribes.

The idigam itself seems ambiguous so you can do what you want to it in case your own game heads back to the capitol, either with the Germanic tribes taking the war there or Romans arriving as victors.
                    Last edited by nofather; 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Of course it's an idigam. Knew it had to be an idigam, the whole "mother" aspect of it suggests the Forge Servant Dread Powers. Only question is, is it Earthbound or did it Coalesce later, since I seem to recall a notable effigy of Cybele being made from a meteor of some kind (which the idigam could have rode in on or Coalesced around).

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

It's called an Earth-bound, it seems a bit more like the Earth-bound of Demon the Fallen. But it's sort of anchored in a piece of meteoric stone, yes the one you're thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                          I'm more frustrated than I should be at how little the Magna Mater in the text resembles the historical Magna Mater. There's a token reference to its origin as being bound within a statue of Cybele, but none of the actual details on her role as a fertility deity out of Anatolia, or the super interesting detail that her cult consisted largely of self-castrated men who lived as women.

Why bother drawing on the name of a historical cult if you're not gonna use it?
                          Only because we didn't have the space. Believe me we would have LOVED to expand on... basically everything. As it was tons of stuff was already cut away. Sorry!

Open the gates of Hell: Random Demon Generator.

Shapeshifting Historian
                          Freelancer - Shattered Dreams, Dark Eras Companion - Forsaken by Rome

Comment

To expand on what wyrdhamster's posted, Rome is a protectorate led by Iron Masters and Ivory Claws. Other members can be part of it but they're never 'true' Roman and usually are put into the military.

The era is based around the war with the Germanic tribes, the Legion being sort of led on by a wolf-blooded hostage, born of Germani but raised in Rome, who sees the Roman Protectorate as corrupt and seeks to unite the tribes of Germani to fight against it and, potentially, destroy it. Most of the era is focused around that and the results of it. There's protectorates among the Germanic tribes, too like the Brekan Protectorate of Blood Talon packs, and the Hercynian Protectorate of Bone Shadows and Predator Kings and I realize using the term tribe so much might be confusing. The focus is most obviously on the Roman Protectorate.

It looks like a lot of fun, and a lot of chaos. Which is appropriate for a war where such stakes are on the line. Reading the section about Rome's Revenge, I actually said, 'oh shit,' at the thought of it.
                            Last edited by nofather; 03-23-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

So, sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is this? Is it like a book, or a section from a book...it sounds really interesting, and I'm super into WtF lately so I'm actually in the market for as much 2E WtF stuff as I can get. I know some of the Dark Eras that are being released are individual sections from the big Dark Eras book that came out a little while ago, but this sounds like it's new. (or supplementary to that)

Otherwise, this is all really cool. Rome is such an interesting era (or series of eras, since it covers so much time), as a time when a single civilization united (or at least "united") such a wide swathe of diverse territories and cultures. Lots of potential, there!

Comment

Working...
                              X