[2E] First Change Story issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] First Change Story issues

I start new Werewolf chronicle and want to run Prelude story for my players, as all would be noobs in Forsaken. From time I got 2E corebook, I wanted to run ‘First Change teenagers’ story, from page 291 of book. More, most players are interested in ‘childhood friends’ group concept, so I think that this ‘Stand By Me-like’ story would be great. BUT the proper chronicle will be with full proper Pack and ‘grown up’ Uratha characters, after Tribe Initiation ( needs of setting and Open Table here ). So I think I will need at least 5 years downtime ( if First Change will be in senior year of High School for characters ), as I want them to be able to ‘grow up’ on their own, at least a bit.

Problem I have is how to run it then? First Change Story scenario assumes that characters are like Pack just after end of it. More, fresh WtF 2E character after creation is assumed to end just Tribe Initiation – it can be few months after Change, but I hardly see possible to stretch it as to 5 years downtime between First Change and start of proper chronicle. Any ideas how to solve this? And no, running only few months after Change will not solve it, as players want to have some freedom to lead character history after Prelude story.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

older uratha and/or spirit mentor figure guides them into being a full pack, duh... Best part is, when the pack are grown up, the mentor can come back to save the pack at a critical moment and then get killed for drama/motivation.

Because that is how these things are done.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Just start the chronicle without the full Gifts, Renown, Merits and such "standard" starting characters are supposed to get. A fair tradeoff for the roleplaying experience, I'd say.

And of course you the Storyteller can be generous with Beats on earlier parts of the chronicle, should you feel the player characters are too inexperienced to hang with 'proper' Uratha. After all, the main characters hog the spotlight

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I don't think tribal initiation takes quite that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          I don't think tribal initiation takes quite that long.
          Can take as little as a week, or as much as a year.

The issue with first changees is that their harmony will start pretty high, and those are some pretty horrific times for the characters.

Comment

I don't have problem with 'young Uratha will have too much Gifts or Renowns just after First Change story', as I literally want to cut it short day, maybe two after the Change itself, when new werewolves are spligting. Beside wild activated Forms, they will probably do not have ANYTHING from Werewolf Character Template just after Change. See scenario on page 291, that I want to run - it's this with mortal character having Tension risen as to what moment the Change commerce ( or don't, and character is only Wolf-Blooded then ). I even think about making players choose only some Skills they teenage PCs would have, declared in the moment of first use - like on The Funeral or First Hunt ( from The Pack book ) scenarios.

What I have problem with is that I need PCs from First Change story to have few years of break, to let PC them grow in other directions after game. Five years would be A LOT in Uratha life and like Malus pointed - Tribe Initiation only takes as much as year. That means PCs will have like 4 years on their own, beside coming together once more at start on proper chronicle start. That sound a much more tough ( or experienced ) characters than those from Werewolf Creation rules.

Maybe I'm overthinking it too much here?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Other problem with First Change Story scenario - If characters get Integrity Breaking Point in times of running scenario - Should she roll it? After transformation into Uratha she will have Harmony on 9, either way, and Wolf-Blooded end with Breaking Point on Integrity and getting second Tell.

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Hm. Why do you need them to be adults? Can you not just roll with them being teens and struggling to come to terms and support each other? Then as been suggested an older werewolf finds them and brings them to be initiated.

By then once they settle and find a tribe you could probably do a time skip and the players aren't missing out on crucial rp development. Each character is taken by their chosen tribe to train and learn, so a few years later they meet up again maybe because of a promise to come back together to start their own pack.

I'd roll for breaking points for this because it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MutedMirth View Post
                  Hm. Why do you need them to be adults? Can you not just roll with them being teens and struggling to come to terms and support each other? Then as been suggested an older werewolf finds them and brings them to be initiated.
                  Beacuse my first PCs group will be only (main) but part of Pack - rest of players will come and go but they all be connected by Pack as EXTENDED organisation. Like, ' few dozen cultists of ancient spirit' not 'me and my two buddies'. Also, I would rather give PCs time to 'go their own way' - like one player is interested in playing cops, other with priest, and one to be ganger. One year in late teens ( 19+ year old ) does not seems as being possible to become character like that. MAYBE 3 years, but more like 5 years.

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Ok so why not have their first change as adults instead of teens?

Comment

Ok, so to re-phrase the problem a little bit, you are planning to run an introductory First Change story as sort of a prelude to the main Chronicle, which will take place after a 5 year timeskip, featuring the same characters, now grown up and part of a pack together. But, you are concerned because the characters would most likely be ready for Tribal Initiation shortly after the end of the First Change prelude, but you want the post-timeskip chronicle to start them off shortly after Tribal Initiation, and a five-year Initiation seems like a stretch. Is that about right?

How important is it to you that the post-timeskip Chronicle be right after Initiation? Could you instead start them off with some extra Experience (maybe multiply the experience earned in the pre-timeskip prelude by 5 or something) and say that by the start of the post-timeskip Chronicle they're all experienced hunters that may have spent some time as lone wolves, or joined and later left another pack or packs, before meeting back up with their old high school friends and deciding to form a pack with them?

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by MutedMirth View Post
                        Ok so why not have their first change as adults instead of teens?
                        First Change Story advised to run it as teens. Also, wanted to add this 'hormonal battles' feel to it and teenage angst. And half of players will be my previous Mage players - with running on adults First Change, it will be look more or like 'Awakening for werewolves' to them, probably. I really wanted to run this Prelude story to mark different feel of Werewolf to Mage for them.

LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          Ok, so to re-phrase the problem a little bit, you are planning to run an introductory First Change story as sort of a prelude to the main Chronicle, which will take place after a 5 year timeskip, featuring the same characters, now grown up and part of a pack together. But, you are concerned because the characters would most likely be ready for Tribal Initiation shortly after the end of the First Change prelude, but you want the post-timeskip chronicle to start them off shortly after Tribal Initiation, and a five-year Initiation seems like a stretch. Is that about right?
                          General idea is right - I want to run Prelude in 'home town' of teenage characters. Then run timeskip five years to let them 'grown up' in different lives. Problem is that they will be werewolves for five years before proper chronicle start then. So they will need higher stats. maybe?

How important is it to you that the post-timeskip Chronicle be right after Initiation?
                          I plan to run timeskip right after First Change, even. Change will shatter their lives, they will need to rebuild them into <their each PCs ending concept>.

Could you instead start them off with some extra Experience (maybe multiply the experience earned in the pre-timeskip prelude by 5 or something) and say that by the start of the post-timeskip Chronicle they're all experienced hunters that may have spent some time as lone wolves, or joined and later left another pack or packs, before meeting back up with their old high school friends and deciding to form a pack with them?
                          Well, probably will run with extra XP. I see a problem as (main) PCs group will be starting point of proper Pack, they will get extra XP on begining of chronicle - and players that will join later will not have. But those next player will join after starts so it will be somehow fair they will have only chargen PCs?

And earned Beats in Prelude * 5 sounds good for extra start XP for (main) PCs, I think on beginning of proper chronicle.
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-06-2017, 04:18 PM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            Well, probably will run with extra XP. I see a problem as (main) PCs group will be starting point of proper Pack, they will get extra XP on begining of chronicle - and players that will join later will not have. But those next player will join after starts so it will be somehow fair they will have only chargen PCs?
                            Well, it depends on how you and your players feel about PCs with different exp levels. If you're the sort who prefers to use group Beats and Experiences, or if your players are used to playing in games where everyone in the group stays at the same exp level, I would not recommend starting players who join after the prelude with less exp than the ones who did do the prelude. Either start them off with the same exp as the rest of the party, or run them through a solo mini-prelude to get them up to speed with the rest of the group. If you're like me and have no problem with some PCs having more exp than others, and if your players are ok with that, then sure, start people who join later at base character creation. LARPers and former LARPers will probably have an easier time accepting this style of play than people who are more familiar with tabletop, as will old-school grognards tend to be more comfortable with it than current-gen gamers.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Yeah, just track the total XP that was gained past chargen and you are good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X