[2E] Uratha and substance abuse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Uratha and substance abuse

So I wanted to introduce PCs to 'broken Lone Wolf' NPC that is in depths of regret after his Pack was massacred few years back and now is deep into Alcoholism. When even going to put Alcoholism Condition on char sheet of his, I remind myself that Uratha have this superb Regeneration, that will probably cleanse any toxins in him. I even recall something on this from Blood of Wolf book. But as 2E has come, maybe some things have changed and werewolves can be on 'high'? How to run substance dependency with 2E Uratha characters?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

The 2e rules have werewolves take the effects of toxins as usual, but subtract Primal Urge from the Toxicity rating of the substance, and they'll heal the damage from being poisoned as per their regeneration.

So a low Primal Urge werewolf could ingest enough alcohol for it to function as a drug, but they'd have to be on something stronger as that goes up. You also have to consider that as Primal Urge goes up, werewolves become restricted in what they can consume as well, making ingested drugs even harder to manage.

Of course this is Werewolf. There's a simple solution: a spirit of addiction that constantly rewards this Uratha with a flush of spiritually potent sensation every time the Uratha hunts it down, and to keep the rush powerful enough he has to continually feed the spirit, and cycle that.

Comment

So Primal Urge 3-4 Uratha can, theoretically, still be drunk, only he needs a large quantity of alcohol?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Considering that binge drinking is "only" a Toxicity 3... by the guidelines presented Primal Urge 3 is basically the point where drinking largely becomes pointless. The werewolf would also be a strict carnivore at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          Considering that binge drinking is "only" a Toxicity 3... by the guidelines presented Primal Urge 3 is basically the point where drinking largely becomes pointless. The werewolf would also be a strict carnivore at that point.
          Hmm, so any 'rather human' Uratha need to be at Primal Urge 2? Eating only raw meat can be a bit problem in modern society...

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Raw meat only doesn't start until Primal Urge 4. Primal Urge 2-3 allow the consumption of prepared meats. Keep in mind that despite the text saying things like "obligate carnivore" werewolves can consume non-meat (and later cooked meat/prey meat/food) without complications, they just don't digest and metabolize it. So a Primal Urge 2 werewolf can eat hamburgers with all the fixings, the meat is just the only part that actually matters. The only have issues if they try to refrain from their eating requirements which include the normal starving rules, and Essence bleed. So a Primal Urge 4 werewolf can eat whatever they want in public to avoid social issues, but if none of those meals include raw meat, they're going to need to go home and eat a big raw meat meal once their back in private.

The specific problem with alcohol (and many other ingested drugs) is that the book says that at Primal Urge 2+ they stop digesting non-meat. Any drug you have to eat would either just pass through them and get excreted out (esp. ones where the actual biologically active compounds that cause intoxication are by-products of digestion/metabolism rather than the raw chemical itself), or would have a severely reduced effect as a tiny fraction of it would be able to enter the body (which can be abstract with the Toxicity reduction rules).

A werewolf that's got higher Primal Urge and is going to be an addict works better with the system as written if they're using harder drugs to get high around their body's increased hardiness, or is addicted to something supernaturally potent.

Comment

Addiction isn't just a dependency on the drug of choice in question, it's an entire lifestyle built up around keeping that addiction going at the cost of family, friends, work, duties - sooner or later it catches up to the person in some aspect of their life. A werewolf might never be substance-dependant but they're going to want to chase that fleeting high as much as a junkie who can't burn through it as quick.

Comment

I don't believe mundane drugs would really hold onto Uratha for any length of time beyond those just First Changed, or eternally stuck at Primal Urge 1.

What's cocaine when you can literally fuel your energy by eating someone's body and soul? The Lodge of Seven Venoms has them addicted to actual poison.
                Last edited by nofather; 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Hmm, so no 'drinking wolves'? Or crack addicts ones?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

You can drink and smoke and do drugs, a crack addict werewolf wouldn't make sense past the first couple Primal Urge.

Comment

I could see a particular werewolf keeping their substance abuse, despite it not working, and the assorted behaviors and life patterns as a reminder of their human life. In other words, a rather unique Touchstone (to Flesh).

EDIT: Or maybe even their Bone trait, where they refrain from the Hunt to pursue their otherwise hollow habits.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Similar to Heavy Arms idea with a spirit of Addiction, rather than making it a partnership, the werewolf could make a Fetish flask or crack pipe that allows mundane substances to affect them more. Or something like that.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
                          Similar to Heavy Arms idea with a spirit of Addiction, rather than making it a partnership, the werewolf could make a Fetish flask or crack pipe that allows mundane substances to affect them more. Or something like that.
                          Oh, I love this! It can make character still 'taking sips from the flask', but also all that more paranoid if he lose his Fetish with him. It also makes character more 'strange', as he can only intoxicate by drinking from flask. I wanted to went on image the Uratha is drinking from beer bottle, but making Fetish of bottle sounds a bit excess - or does it?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Well, the best fetishes are where the spirit and the object resonate strongly, so an alcohol spirit in an alcohol bottle sounds perfect.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

It would make more sense as a talen, bottles blessed by a spirit of Alcoholism, or pipes from an addiction spirit.

A fetish for getting drunk or high would probably end poorly, killed by the Bone Shadows or Claimed by the spirit within as it takes advantage of your addiction.

Comment

Working...
                              X