[2E] Hunting Grounds - Uppsala, Sweden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Hunting Grounds - Uppsala, Sweden

So I creating my own homebrew setting for modern/Viking era game I run and some advice or opinions want to hear from you. I was planning on only posting on Packs of region, but then though that making this more as Hunting Grounds write-up will be more efficient. So here you go.

Notice: I’m not native of region, just interested in it. ( I’m from Lublin in Eastern Poland. ) So it’s probably less real world accurate than 2E corebook's Hunting Grounds. Thanks Seidmadr for showing bolts, screws and trivia about region.

Overview

Uppsala was once center of Sweden’s power – it’s place where was greatest Norse temple in preChristian times, was place of rule and burring medieval kings and even center of kingdoms Protestant Church. It’s famous also as center of learning, as its famous Uppsala University that give to the world Carl Linnaeus, father of modern taxonomy. Nowadays, Uppsala, as fourth biggest settlement in modern Sweden, it’s place of lost glory. It’s still important in country’s maps, but putted much more on sideways, with each year being slowly drained from new undertaking by rather close Stockholm.

Supernatural

In place as old as Uppsala – region is assume to settled for almost 1700 years - monsters left significant mark on the area. Town has thriving community of circa 200 supernatural being, with about 50 vampires mostly running it, werewolves and mages per 20 individuals now being long second in this race. Kindred from centuries are under iron grip of Ethernal Church of Lancea et Sanctum, that took power few years after creation Church of Sweden and not letting city to be let from their dead hands. Uratha have rather glorious past in Middle Ages of area, but with each generation more and more monotheistic in region, Wolf Cults wax and wane, finally to decrease in long term. Mages are outsiders that center mostly on University of Uppsala, seeing knowledge as gateway from Fallen World.

Uratha Tribes

For almost two millennia now, werewolf Tribes are fighting about territory and Loci in region. Place of legendary Aesir Temple, Gamla Uppsala (Swedish "Old Uppsala"), is biggest prize, but also biggest challenge to sustain – as place of Old Faith worship it’s still powerful place of Essence and Shadow. It’s focal point of Forsaken versus Pure endless conflict, with Tribes of Moon sticking more to the town itself and Pure living in surrounding forests. Fight over it will not have end – or will it?

Theoretically, local Forsaken population is under Stockholm Protectorate and should answer to alliance powers there. In practice, werewolves of Uppsala are on their own – until they howl for help before being totally wiped out from region.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-12-2017, 04:03 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Packs of Uppsala

Now I will show my ideas on the Packs of region. Comments are more than looked for.

Note: In Sweden, English is practically second language. There is big problem to find people till their 50s not knowing it. So I allowed myself a little English jokes. Also, in game, all local characters start with English as known Language - and those that do not want to know, they take Persistent Condition.

"Hundgruppen" - Dog Team
    Police Pack, hidden as local special cross-department unit. Composed mostly of Iron Masters and Blood Talons, is specialized in hunting on human Herd and watching over rest of werewolves in region, literally policing the Forsaken community. It’s have extensive Wolf-Blooded help in local force from it’s members Lodge of Shield and real reason why vampires are not totally running the city. As Pack name suggest, they also works extensively with dogs and mostly treat them as Pack members. Lead by aging Detective Superintendent Theo Lindberg - called ‘Dog’s Jaw’ - Rahu, from Iron Masters, group is really ‘force inside force’. Pack’s totem is Watchdog, spirit of canine vigilance and loyalty.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )

Comment

Allfather’s Host
      Religious legacy Pack that watch over dead and wants to take back site of Gamla Uppsala from Pure. They all are part of Valkyrie Mot, and even male Uratha take Luna’s Embrace Gift to be able to ride as one of Choosers of Slain. They are connected with anthropology and neopagan groups in Uppsala University. They are lead as sisterhood under command of doctor Ella Fredriksson – known also as ‘Feeder of Ravens’ - Storm Lords Ithaeur, from Department of Antropology on University. Pack’s totem is Brunhilda, one of most known Valkyries they fulfill duties under.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-19-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Nice! A few small things to remember:
        1) Uppsala was in no way a capital. It was an important place, yes... But the idea of capitals didn't come until later, when the governance of the country required more real estate than could be conveniently housed in one place. It really took until the 16th century before capital became a place separate from "wherever the ruler is at the moment."
        2) Saying the All-Father's name was a taboo. Because he hears every time it's said, and he isn't exactly a kindly god. To get around this, they gave him a LOT of names. Here is a list to draw from.

Comment

That's interesting. I'm myself is a Swede, though not native to Uppsala and my recent and first mage chronicle was set in Uppsala and i just might point you in a direction of interest. I used a mix of mage mythology and norse as well as folk lore but mixed it with greek mythology when building the mage mysteries of Uppsala and the general supernatural setting. Mages in Uppsala more or less take names either from greek or norse myths and they venerate a 17th century medical scientist that they believe saw through the lie and actually pinpointed the ancient civilization of mages from the time before. This man was not a sleeper nor a mage according to their understanding, though some speculated he was a Promethean or an angel to the god machine. This man, Olof Rudbeck the elder, know in english as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaus_Rudbeck ,is an really interesting man in the real world, but with his "theories" about atlantis and the herritage of the swedes it is to good to be true not top use in a mage story. His believes had a few supporters and together they hade a few strange ideas, among other things, that Troy was a small village outside of Uppsala and Atlantis litteraly was swedens ancestors and placed it in Sweden. As well as the Garden of Eden, because of things like the name Adam sounds like the swedish words "of dust - av damm". Most of the things that are crazy about his believes are in his work Atlantica.
          It might be hard to get more in english about his crazy ideas but if you plan to use mages it's to good to be true that we actually have a famous scientist (who was the headmaster of Uppsala University among things) that tried to force in the atlantean myth into the swedish heritage to make the Swedish Empire have a more glorious history then it had. To be fair, no one at the time believed him, which is how the lie works =) .
          For more about this kind of nationalistic and romantic way to forge the history of sweden: see Göticism : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothicism
          Last edited by Poseur; 04-18-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seidmadr View Post
            1) Uppsala was in no way a capital. It was an important place, yes... But the idea of capitals didn't come until later, when the governance of the country required more real estate than could be conveniently housed in one place. It really took until the 16th century before capital became a place separate from "wherever the ruler is at the moment."
            Fixed in text.

Originally posted by Seidmadr View Post
            2) Saying the All-Father's name was a taboo. Because he hears every time it's said, and he isn't exactly a kindly god. To get around this, they gave him a LOT of names. Here is a list to draw from.
            Will use other Odin's name then. But word 'host' is good for describing Pack of Valkyries?

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
              Will use other Odin's name then. But word 'host' is good for describing Pack of Valkyries?
              It's just fine. Is great actually.
              I'm actually trying to figure out what I'd call a group of Valkyries in Swedish
              Host has the added benefit of being the term used for angels, as well. And the modern-ish idea of winged women? Valkyries was a major influence there.

Oh! And regarding K9. I just realised that a pack with that name would be seriously mocked. The reason is this:

You see... The Swedish word for rabbit, is "kanin". This comes from the latin Cuniculum.

A police or military K9 group in Swedish is simply called "Hundgruppen" - The Dog Group / Dog Team.
              That could also be mocked, but it would have proper military/policiary connotations.

Now, I don't ask you to fix that - that term works great, and would be great in any language that doesn't have that word for bunny.
              I just wanted to bring up something that made me laugh.

Comment

Changed names - went with Allfather for Host, as Valkyrie Mot use extensively this name. And police pack become Dog Team.

I plan to make one Pure pack based on general idea of my Lodge of Moon-Hounds that live in forests near Gamla Uppsala. If some have ideas on Predator Kings and Fire-Touched from this area, I'm all ears.

Comment

Seidmadr I wonder how common are normal wolves in surrounding forests? Been thinking about adding real world wolves as Pack members in Pure group.

Comment

It looks like there's two wolves.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      It looks like there's two wolves.
                      Hmm... to repopulate wolves in CoD version or leave the area as it is in real world? Wolves in Pack make great 'alienating factor' - on the other hand, putting too much wolves there will looks 'weird' if you confront it with real world info...

More thiniking on the idea of Pure pack, I think I will go with local forest guards or team of woodcutters. From strange reasons, forest guards sounds to me much more like proper Pack...

Comment

Started making territories maps, overlaying normal terrain. From the looks of it - we will have MANY overstepping boundries here and vampires/werewolfs interactions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G1...t8&usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Hmm... to repopulate wolves in CoD version or leave the area as it is in real world? Wolves in Pack make great 'alienating factor' - on the other hand, putting too much wolves there will looks 'weird' if you confront it with real world info...

More thiniking on the idea of Pure pack, I think I will go with local forest guards or team of woodcutters. From strange reasons, forest guards sounds to me much more like proper Pack...
                          The logging industry in Sweden ARE the protectors of the forests though. Since by law, two trees have to be planted for every one cut down. The forests in Sweden are growing, thanks to the re-planting efforts of the logging industry.

Also, the area around Uppsala, it isn't exactly deep woods. Most of it look like this:
                          Sure, there is a wood line in the distance, but it's not solid. The entire area is small patches of forest surrounded by planted fields.
                          It's an old sea floor. It's flat and the soil is rich with nutrients. It's farmland.

Comment

Preparing small side prologue episode in Stockholm for my game, and I needed to make local spirit Court, connected to water. So I stat up Gefjun, Queen of Lake Mälaren. as Spirit of Elements that evolved with human worship you. I'm waiting for you comments on this write-up.

Image:

Stats:

So what do you think about it? Good Norse goddess as Shadow Realm Spirit?

Comment

First off, I like her! A lot, actually. I generally don't have so "human" spirits as the Norse Gods, but that's a matter of taste.
                              There are a few issues, though. Gefjun is a goddess of the land, not the water. The lake was a by-product of her plowing.
                              Also, a god as a rank 4 creature? That's a bit stingy, isn't it?

I strongly recommend you to keep Gefjun though, just... drop her in as something else.
                              If you want a lake spirit named for one of the old deities, how about Kolga? She's one of the nine daughters of Rán and Aegir, and she represents cool sea water.
                              "But that doesn't fit, Mälaren is a lake." you say? Well, Mälaren also wasn't a lake in the Viking Age, it was just a deep bay of the Baltic Sea. The terrain has shifted slightly, with the land rising, so nowadays it's a lake. (Which might be an interesting story point if you jump back and forth in time!)

Comment

Working...
                              X