My Homebrew Harmony Approach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Homebrew Harmony Approach

When I tried to ST the Werewolf chronicle, I've found it's all too easy to mantain Harmony 5. Too close to Flesh? Eat a human! To close to Spirit? Just violate Oath of the Moon. Easy. So Harmony resembles the little iron ball on bottom of the wineglass. Move it one side, it soon returns to the lower point.

But what if Harmony was really hard to mantain? What if it was like the same ball but on the top of the pyramid: easy to fall, hard to return?

That what I was looking for, and that's what I use for it:

1. The ideal pinpoint of Harmony is still 5. It's the balanced center. Any breaking point can affect it.
    2. When your Harmony moves toward Flesh, the breaking points toward Spirit don't affect it anymore. They only give you so called "Harmony beats" which can later turn into "Harmony experience", But breaking points toward Flesh still move your Harmony higher, move it toward Flesh up to 10.
    3. When your Harmony moves toward Spirit, Flesh breaking pionts behave likeways. Returning Harmony is harder then losing it.
    4. Each move of the Harmony toward the center costs 2 experience points.
    Last edited by Aleksay; 04-19-2017, 07:20 AM.

Originally posted by Aleksay View Post
    Too close to Flesh? Eat a human! To close to Spirit? Just violate Oath of the Moon. Easy.
    Eating humans is very not supported in Forsaken society - just eating piece of human is rather large Oaths breaking. Eating whole human is little less than proper Uratha cannibalism.

In a nutshell - by eating human you put viewfinder on yourself for nearest Blood Talons to hunt for you. Good luck with that!
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-19-2017, 11:10 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

That still doesn't make disHarmony any possible. Too far to Spirit -- new breaking points appeat toward Flesh and vice versa. Harmony really seems not worth mentioning. doesn't it?

Killing human is less dangerous option, by the way. Or staying out of/in the Hisil.
      Last edited by Aleksay; 04-19-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Umm....

Killing humans is not so trivial? Psychopath canniablism murder sprees have lots of complications. Honestly, every breaking point has complications. Breaking the Oath of the Moon pisses of Lunes, and you ned them for Renown. Generating negative spirits in the Hisil and attracting the wrong kind of attention in mortal society is bad as well. Even mating and eating processed food has problems as you rise in Primal Urge.

Breaking points aren't trivial. They've got some big complications. If the ST is ignoring that, then it can seem trivial, but the games I've seen haven't played to that at all.
        Last edited by MCN; 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah by RAW, maintaining balanced harmony is not so hard by itself. However, the consequences of maintaining balanced harmony generate drama. These things combined make it easy to generate drama in a werewolf game.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

That still doesn't make disHarmony any possible. Too far to Spirit -- new breaking points appeat toward Flesh and vice versa.
            Rebalancing requires failing a roll based on two fairly important Attributes — a werewolf with very mobile Harmony is more susceptible to Death Rage.

Also, breaking points toward the nearer endpoint of the scale get progressively harder to succeed at just by virtue of the scaling penalties and the eventual loss of the Touchstone bonus, while the only thing the new rebalancing breaking points offer is more opportunities to roll — none of them have either the scaling penalty or an individual penalty for extremity attached to them.

This is to say nothing of how the spiritual end of the scale is more difficult to get out of thanks to Bans and the necessary legwork to deal with the risks of long stays in the Shadow.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Killing humans is not so trivial? Psychopath canniablism murder sprees have lots of complications.
              Well, let's imagine the first game session, with Harmony 7. I, as a player, want to move it towards 5. It's natural, that players want to use crunch for their benefit. I turn into a Urshul, eat some lonely bum at night (getting Essence by the way) where nobody sees me, and utilize remains. Ok, if I'm afraid of Blood Talons, I use all my Gifts to hide clues. There's no body. There's nobody to seek for the missing homeless (who cares?). From the pointview of outsiders nothing happened. The eaten one was not the one turmoil will rise about. What's the problem?

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              Yeah by RAW, maintaining balanced harmony is not so hard by itself. However, the consequences of maintaining balanced harmony generate drama. These things combined make it easy to generate drama in a werewolf game.
              Okay, so the drama brings new breaking points and moves Harmony to extremum, and attempts to mantain it bring more drama again? Thanks, it was really helpful for me to realize, I didn't somehow consider it that way.
              Last edited by Aleksay; 04-19-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Well, let's imagine the first game session, with Harmony 7. I, as a player, want to move it towards 5. It's natural, that players want to use crunch for their benefit. I turn into a Urshul, eat some lonely bum at night (getting Essence by the way) where nobody sees me, and utilize remains. Ok, if I'm afraid of Blood Talons, I use all my Gifts to hide clues. There's no body. There's nobody to seek for the missing homeless (who cares?). From the pointview of outsiders nothing happened. The eaten one was not the one turmoil will rise about. What's the problem?
                So, you eat someone. First, let me say that there's no such thing as "no one sees you." You'll have the remains and surrounding spirits, at minimum, that witness the effect. You can't just say that you kill all of them. If this happens once or twice, sure, its probably not going to be anything more than a blip. But constantly as a way of rebalancing yourself? Its going to create a trend that people will pick up on.

Secondly, you just murdered and ate a homeless individual. Congrats, you now just generated some violence, blood and murder spirits. These spirits will now go out and encourage more blood, violence and murder. The more you try to maintain your personal balance this way, the more you send your territory to hell in a handbasket.

Third. That "some lonely bum" had a name. Quite possibly family. Maybe dreams crushed by drugs he was trying to get off of. Maybe he just lost everything and is still recovering. At the very least, you' could very well have someone investigating the disappearance, and human hunters are never a good thing for anyone.

Four. You might piss off the Lunes. If they refuse to give you Renown as a result.... well, you're crippling yourself.

There's a lot of things that spawn off of this. Nothing exists in a vacuum. If you have an entire pack that thinks this is negligable and keeps it up.... well, lots of complications. Once or twice, its something you can usually deal with. Continually will create lots of issues that (while fun plots) are the result of basically shitting where you eat. Its something that builds and builds.

Comment

As to 'homeless guy' example - and you have Lodge of Shield in your territory that found some trails of foul play. Good luck hiding evidence supernatural before them.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                    As to 'homeless guy' example - and you have Lodge of Shield in your territory that found some trails of foul play. Good luck hiding evidence supernatural before them.
                    Did I say to play in Los Angeles?

Let them find me in the city of Ekaterinburg, Sverdlovskaya Oblast, the Russian Federation!
                    (may be someday I arrange all my notes on the city Kindred and Uratha and share it)
                    Last edited by Aleksay; 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Did I say to play in Los Angeles?
                      I specially re-written them to be global Lodge. 'Police+werewolves' is too good idea to have them limit only to L.A.

But...

Let them find me in the city of Ekaterinburg, Sverdlovskaya Oblast, the Russian Federation!
                      Yeah, in Russia I assume that eating humans is much more on day-to-day level for Forsaken. But also many other actions against Oath of Moon.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                        Yeah, in Russia I assume that eating humans is much more on day-to-day level for Forsaken. But also many other actions against Oath of Moon.
                        Well, it depends I think. More ancient traditions (many times rejected and forgotten), more wast territories with less people to defend 'em. Sometimes pragmatic considerations overweight. Crowded Moscow is quite another cup of blood. Much less werewolves (they tend to move away, to grasp territories, so those who remain struggle against lots of spiritual treats) and much more vampires to destabilize Hisil. Plus the barbaric eclecticism in architecture adds to the style of the game.

In Ekaterinburg I have one more... element. Elder gangrel witch in the city park, that reesembles deep woods, for she's Acolit with Animalism-5; Cruac Primal Creation Style-5 and Mandragora Garden-5, who in result awakened the great and powerful tree spirit in the heart of the park, and that spirit became the totem of the Pure pack... o_o
                        Last edited by Aleksay; 04-19-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

The Shadow. Blood Talons don't need evidence to hunt your ass down, only a Lune telling them to. Nevermind you reek like well, you just ate a human.

Comment

Working...
                          X