[2E Setting Hack] A Tribeless World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E Setting Hack] A Tribeless World

So I was reading a thread the other day while diving back a few pages on this sub-forum, and I saw a post by Charlaquin that really inspired me to hack apart the setting and experiment. In this case, I decided to poke around at a world without Tribes. It's a rather brief overview, and the only reason I'm really sharing it is I felt like presenting some character creation mechanics for it. I'm using the idea that Charlaquin mentioned in that thread for it, so kudos where it's due!

The Tribeless World
    Werewolves don't have global fraternities of experts at hunting specific kinds of prey. There's nobody making it a pratice to gather up a bunch of territorial apex predators from across entire regions to have glorified trade conferences. For the most part there is only the hunt, the pack, and the watchful gaze of the Warden Moon above to give structure to the Uratha.

This means werewolves put more emphasis on their Auspices, the only external definition of methods and purpose they are ever truly burdened with. The roles imposed by their phase of the Moon come with great power and Renown to guide them.

The Oath of the Moon
    Strictly speaking, there aren't any universal rules for werewolves to follow. Who would enforce them? Who would stop them if an entire pack decides eating people is fun in moderation? If they decided to go around bullying weak spirits into doing whatever they wanted, or building wolf-cults where they blatantly control ordinary humans by terrorizing them with their powers?

Well, it depends on where you are. The only constant is that the Moon is watching, and its spectral servants will find you and judge you for what you did. They won't stop you, usually, but rewards of Renown only come with their approval and the surest way to do this is to follow the Oath. This would be more of an incentive to good behavior if the mad things would be consistent about any of it. One might think the way you tore an enemy apart and devoured their heart was just Glorious, while another might curse you for the Impurity of consuming the flesh of man or wolf.

Werewolves will argue about the particulars just as readily as humans do. Many will enforce their ideas of how things should be done on their neighbors. A pack that cannot agree on the broad strokes among themselves is a pack that won't last very long. A werewolf who refuses to adhere to any tenet of the Oath is not long for this world either.

Character Creation
    Characters start with one dot in their Auspice's primary Renown, one dot in one of their Auspice's secondary Renown, and one dot in any Renown (can't raise any Renown to 3 at this point). They have two Facets from Shadow Gifts favored by their Auspice, a Moon Gift at dots equal to their Auspice primary Renown, and a Facet of a Wolf Gift if they only have one dot in their Moon Gift.

Werewolves get the Language (First Tongue) merit, and a dot of the Totem merit if they're part of a pack, for free. Place an extra dot in one of the werewolf's three Auspice Skills for free. Give them 2xp worth of Rites.

Auspices
    The traits inherent in an Auspice are listed below. The set of question marks at the end of the Gifts lists are there to indicate a choice. The player chooses any one Shadow Gift to add as the fourth Affinity Gift for their character. Even if they don't take it at character creation, mark it down; it'll be relevant for the XP cost if they decide to learn it later.

Rahu
    Auspice Skills: Brawl, Intimidation, Survival
    Gifts: Full Moon, Dominance, Strength, ???
    Hunter's Aspect: Dominant
    Primary Renown: Purity
    Secondary Renown: Glory, Honor

Cahalith
    Auspice Skills: Crafts, Expression, Persuasion
    Gifts: Gibbous Moon, Inspiration, Knowledge, ???
    Hunter's Aspect: Monstrous
    Primary Renown: Glory
    Secondary Renown: Cunning, Purity

Elodoth
    Auspice Skills: Empathy, Investigation, Politics
    Hunter's Aspect: Isolating
    Gifts: Half-Moon, Insight, Warding, ???
    Primary Renown: Honor.
    Secondary Renown: Glory, Wisdom

Ithaeur
    Auspice Skills: Animal Ken, Medicine, Occult
    Gifts: Crescent Moon, Elemental, Shaping, ???
    Hunter's Aspect: Mystic
    Primary Renown: Wisdom
    Secondary Renown: Cunning, Honor

Irraka
    Auspice Skills: Larceny, Stealth, Subterfuge
    Gifts: New Moon, Evasion, Stealth, ???
    Hunter's Aspect: Blissful
    Primary Renown: Cunning
    Secondary Renown: Purity, Wisdom

Lodges
    Finally, Lodges still form. They are even perhaps the only true ideological groups that werewolves have in the absence of Tribes. However, Lodges tend to remain geographically isolated more than in the standard presentation of Werewolf: the Forsaken. Without the ideological backbone of a Tribe to prop them up and broaden their appeal, any given Lodge likely won't spread beyond whichever Uratha can be located in the area. Exceptions abound of course, depending on their inclinations or Totems.

Revlid wrote:
    Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Now I'm curious what post inspired this. Very cool hack!

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Something i've though about is giving a primary renown at the creation of a pack when not using tribes. Being part of the pack gives the player the renown that would be missing from not using tribes. It helps the player in establishing a quick identity to the pack and it would also help in determining social interaction between packs (with pack sharing primary renown being more friendly toward each other).
      But i admit i also like giving secondary renown to auspices instead. I'll definitely keep that option in mind if my next game is a werewolf one.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les L├ęgendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

I want to say first off, that I really like this idea. So much so, I might just steal this for some games in the future. But this does beg the question. How would you handle the Pure in such a game? They already don't have Auspices and they are pretty much defined by their Tribe. Would they be in such a chronicle or be removed entirely?

Comment

I guess the best you could manage is individual pure-like packs.

Or maybe a lodge or something.

Comment

So essentially a ghost wolf with an extra gift and one fewer renown?

Comment

Originally posted by Rahuman101 View Post
              I want to say first off, that I really like this idea. So much so, I might just steal this for some games in the future. But this does beg the question. How would you handle the Pure in such a game? They already don't have Auspices and they are pretty much defined by their Tribe. Would they be in such a chronicle or be removed entirely?
              Thanks! And I would handle the Pure on a pack by pack basis most of the time. Over here you have a pack of spirit-worshiping fanatics who came by their beliefs honestly. Sure, they still have Auspices, but the core of what in canon we'd call Fire-Touched is still there. That is to say, they're still embracing the spiritual side of things while doing scary stuff against the flesh. Or you have a pack whose membership is literally an extended family of wolf's blood and they're super elitist about werewolves that can't also trace their origins to a similar lineage. Or a pack who just reject humanity and run as wolves in the wilderness.

The Pure are easy to condense down to their main points in a setting like this when you need or want them. You might even be playing them yourself.

Originally posted by TriCitiesLodge View Post
              So essentially a ghost wolf with an extra gift and one fewer renown?
              No, they're essentially ghost wolves with an extra Shadow Gift and one extra dot of Renown. It puts them on the same mechanical level as the default 'Forsaken with a Tribe' starting character.

Revlid wrote:
              Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

One other neat possibility might be replacing tribes with earning the patronage or respect of a specific spirit choir. For example, a Werewolf takes out a powerful fire spirit that's burning down a forest, and the tree spirits give him a dot of Glory and their gratitude, or outthinks a knowledge spirit that rules over a local college and is granted a dot of Cunning. Then you could have packs of werewolves being pulled into conflicts between choirs.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Working...
                X