TARDIS as a spirit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TARDIS as a spirit

Hi, it's your friendly neighbor mage. I thought that I'll ask at the source. Is it possible to make a spirit with powers of TARDIS and if yes, how would you do that?

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

What powers are those? Teleportation and time travel? It would be hard to find a spirit that would do that, but I guess you could have some weird spirit of Time and Space.

It might make more sense to be a Claimed object. The problem with that is Claimed objects lose their Durability but you could have some sort of self-repairing aspect to it.

Or a fetish.

Comment

Right. Mostly teleportation and time travel. It has more powers but it's not so important here. It is a being locked inside a spaceship that is bigger on the inside which seems like another space influence. Create perhaps?
      The question is. Can you pierce through time or space with influence alone or do you need numina for this?

Comment

If its part of your Influence you would just need 2 or 3 dots of it to Control or Manipulate. Control allows for 'fitting' purposes, while Manipulate lets you break normal laws while doing so.

Comment

But is it enough to teleport from earth to moon? Or from 2017 to 954?
          Last edited by Moinen; 04-26-2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Influences are pretty simple. You just need a success.

If its of the right Influences, and rolls Power + Finesse and gets an 8, 9 or 10, then yes it succeeds. It would likely need more Influence to be capable of any significant Durations, but I think if the being was effectively outside of 'our time' due to its inherent makeup or some customization, then it wouldn't need to add for Duration, as traveling would just be traveling.

There's a few hints of lodges and tribes that have broached on this.

Comment

Lets say that I want to go from London 2017 to Vienna 1238. I found THE spirit and ask it politely to take me there. He never been there or lived at that time. He needs only influence of 3 to do that?

Comment

If you found the right spirit, sure. And as a spirit of Time, presumably with Transportation or Travel, it wouldn't need to be there. Time was there.

Comment

Nice. Thank you for helping me. Is this a liberal take on the topic or most of ST would agree? And wouldn't the spirit of Time and Space be a Magath?

Comment

Depends on whether or not spirits cares about mundane physics. Space and time are connected, as everyone who's studied relativity knows. Just not obviously so, and might be considered too different for spirits.
                    Last edited by Tessie; 04-26-2017, 06:01 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
                      Nice. Thank you for helping me. Is this a liberal take on the topic or most of ST would agree?
                      It depends on what they know about the spirit, I suppose. Some might just say that it's imbalanced and refuse. But a more reasonable limitation would be for most Time spirits to have a ban saying they must only move forward or something.

It's worth keeping in mind that Time spirits would be rare. A watch would have a watch spirit, and would rarely become powerful enough to have a Time Influence at any significance. And they would probably belong to some strict umia. But, as I mentioned, we do have hints of lodges and tribes that are dedicated to dealing with time, including hunting time travelers. They would be pretty bad at their job if they just waited for time travelers to appear.

And wouldn't the spirit of Time and Space be a Magath?
                      Tessie's got it.

Comment

Tessie We know that but spirits might not That's why I was asking.
                        nofather Its not a big problem for a mage to rewrite spirits Influence and Bans. And even if they are rare, they exist and can be found.
                        So even with very strict reading of influence where you need Permanent duration for time travel effect the spirit need 7 dots of influence (3 to Control and 4 for duration). I always skimmed through spirit rules but it seems quite potent. I like it.

Quick question: For resurrection I would need a spirit of Life with Influence 8 (4 to create and 4 for duration)? Can spirit stop its influence effect after 'casting'?

Comment

For Resurrection it'd be easier to find a spirit with the Resurrection Numen. That Numen is available to Rank 4+ spirits while Influence above five dots requires Rank 6+ spirits since spirits below Rank 6 have their Influences limited by Rank.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I just saw 'trade numen for influence' and thought that they can go up, since it wasn't in the Rank table. Thank you for pointing that out. Right. I've checked Resurrection Numen. It seems that time travel should be modeled as a Numen too, but I can't imagine that it could jump half galaxy away or 5000 years into the future.

Comment

I'm guessing you're less interested in 6+ Influences now, but there's a section on those on pages 55-56 in the 1E Mage booklet Imperial Mysteries.

Comment

Working...
                              X