No announcement yet.

Fighting humans in ancient times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always loved the Weather Gifts and they'd really screw over the enemy in an old-time wartime scenario. Cloak of Mist and Haze to penalize Perception and ranged attack rolls by Cunning. Then Heavens Unleashed to penalize Speed and Initiative by Glory, perhaps stacking on top of Cloak of Mist and Haze's due to the sensory overload. Then you just kick in Hunt Under Iron Skies and while enemy thinks the battle's called off for rain you just stride through and cut them down.

For extra 'breaking it off' you could use something like Knotted Path so that even if they try to escape they couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
      I've always loved the Weather Gifts and they'd really screw over the enemy in an old-time wartime scenario. Cloak of Mist and Haze to penalize Perception and ranged attack rolls by Cunning. Then Heavens Unleashed to penalize Speed and Initiative by Glory, perhaps stacking on top of Cloak of Mist and Haze's due to the sensory overload. Then you just kick in Hunt Under Iron Skies and while enemy thinks the battle's called off for rain you just stride through and cut them down.

For extra 'breaking it off' you could use something like Knotted Path so that even if they try to escape they couldn't.
      You mean in actual armies fighting armies? Because I'd think those Weather facets would penalize your own side as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post

You mean in actual armies fighting armies? Because I'd think those Weather facets would penalize your own side as well.
        Depends on the strategical situation. If you are severely outnumbered, those would still help, since the larger army will have more trouble telling friend from foe.
        Of course they'd hurt your army as well, but it'd hurt the larger army more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Tzu, probably
          No army is bigger in the night.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

You mean in actual armies fighting armies?
            Sort of, not talking about an entire army doing it but a squad with a werewolf in it who considers them his pack. I suppose some war leaders might consider their entire army pack, however.

Because I'd think those Weather facets would penalize your own side as well.
            Hunt Under Iron Skies means you're never penalized by your own Weather Gifts, and for the low low cost of 1 Essence, for a scene, either is anyone in your pack.

Comment

Hunt Under Iron Skies means you're never penalized by your own Weather Gifts, and for the low low cost of 1 Essence, for a scene, either is anyone in your pack.
              Wasnt that 1 essense per packmate?

Comment

Originally posted by maryshelly View Post
                Being hit by a shotgun does not seem much worse than getting wacked with a sword. Just an observation.
                Having a yard of sharpened steel violently shoved through you with the intend to hurt you does as a much damage as much as an ounce of lead hurled into you at subsonic speeds as far as the extent of the injury is concerned?

I'd say that is about right, but then point out that's assuming the attack lands, and that's where firearms shines with ignoring defense most of the time (such as against mortals) and being able to reach out and inflict damage at range.

Deadly is deadly, but ease of inflicting that deadliness makes firearms still advantageous.

I'd also point out the fire arm vs melee comparison versus a single target doesn't hold up because if you're shooting from various vantage points you can have 100 people shooting at the same target at once. Room to surround the target becomes a much larger circle capable of holding many more attackers. (Or in real life check what these police did) That is all admittedly very modern.

Roman Soldiers filling in over dead companions to maintain military discipline and meet their blood-covered objective seems pretty much how Rome conquered its empire. When the alternative is to face Decimation, it makes sense. Being clubbed to death for being an unlucky coward and having comrades randomly clubbed to death for cowardliness or dying bravely against and enemy seems like a simple choice.
                Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 07-20-2017, 11:45 AM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Wasnt that 1 essense per packmate?
                  Aw that's unfortunately true, I guess you could still manage it if you were being efficient but it works less for large groups. Still, it works for a werewolf strike-force. Black Earth, Red Hunger would probably do well too when assaulting camps.

Comment

Aw that's unfortunately true, I guess you could still manage it if you were being efficient but it works less for large groups. Still, it works for a werewolf strike-force. Black Earth, Red Hunger would probably do well too when assaulting camps.
                    This is when I make a fetish to be able to use it on a hundred strong group for like 5 essence. And they say Fetish rules suck.

Comment

Ah exactly, it would fit a standard perfectly, as well.

Comment

I definitely wrote my bits of Forsaken by Rome with the idea that Uratha do their best work away from their human compatriots. As everyone has already said:
                        1. Falling to Kuruth could wind up being as bad for your own side as theirs (including you, personally, when it runs out), most especially for anyone outside the legions (and legionaries without an Aquila)
                        2. Armour is great, ya'll! As are Nikink's legion tactics! Organised, equipped soldiers are actually really hard to beat, even for Uratha
                        3. Uratha are still rare and few in number, and a wise tactician wouldn't just throw them into the meatgrinder that is the frontlines. That's was plebes are for
                        In short, I personally think that the Uratha's talents are better utilised away from the front lines, where they can hunt high-value targets and sow terror among their enemies. That being said, a big part of FbR examines what happens when the Uratha take an active hand in human wars - the Varian Disaster is what you get when you find a way for Uratha and human to fight side by side...and then lose it in an orgy of bloodshed. The Wild Hunt is what happens when the Day Tribes take their cue from the Night Tribes: Slaughter your enemies. Defend your territory. Hunt your prey. Offer No Surrender That You Would Not Accept.

Pros and cons, I guess, except it didn't really work out well for anybody, huh? I like to think that there are a fair few "This Story is True" tales going around about that time - "that, cubs, is why we don't interfere in the herd's battles".
                        Last edited by NateD; 07-21-2017, 12:50 AM.

Freelance OPP. Dark Eras, Shattered Dreams, and counting!

Comment

Nate is on point.

Much as we tried to squeeze in ways and means for Uratha and humans to work/fight together, and account for how iron age versions fight each other, the real advantage wielded by Uratha is magic - Gifts and Rites which can be utilized while in human form (some more subtly than others). The Varian disaster had something like a day or so of severe thunderstorms to assist the Germanian warriors, and the Blood Talons are good with those weather Gifts, so hanging back and summoning the lightning and rain could be argued as the most successful tactic they could have used.

Open the gates of Hell: Random Demon Generator.

Shapeshifting Historian
                          Freelancer - Shattered Dreams, Dark Eras Companion - Forsaken by Rome

Comment

Since you folks (Nate and Nikink) are following this thread, do you think there would be any variation in the (werewolf) tribes of later periods who came against rome? Vandals, Goths and etc? And separately, of the horse-nomads such as the Huns and later Avars and Bulgars?

I ask because what's there regarding Rome seems portable forward in time (only, with further debauchery and rot at the core), while the rotating carousal of barbarians does change.

--Khanwulf

Comment

There's always gonna be change and variation. Different cultures bring different ideas to conflict. By the time the Roman Empire fell, some 400-500 years after FbR, the Urdeshga were no more, the Iron Masters having split/been kicked out of the Council of Eagles and Lightning. The Ivory Claws, Firetouched and Predator Kings had likely come together in some form. The Marisi Uratha maybe tentatively allying themselves with Iron Masters from outside the Empire to help bring it down.

Lots of possibilities I'd love to write about if I ever got the chance.

Open the gates of Hell: Random Demon Generator.

Shapeshifting Historian
                              Freelancer - Shattered Dreams, Dark Eras Companion - Forsaken by Rome

Comment

Working...
                              X