No announcement yet.

Spirits as Pagan Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Azar and Esit from Mummy: the Curse? Are they powerful Shadow spirits, or are they some other sort of being entirely?

Our society is held together by the thinnest of threads: that exquisitely refined sense of tribal order.
    Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence

I am a huge fan of both the Trinity Universe and the classic World of Darkness.

Comment

Well, there are a lot of different powerful beings out there. Angels, spirits, demons, Pangaeans, Abyssals and Supernals, things that are rare and few enough they lack any real name. I don't know much about Mummy but they could be spirits. I think some lean towards Mummy-stuff being Abyssal.

Viewing spirits as not 'true gods' seems to be an unfortunate perspective around here, it has been since first edition, one of the first threads I saw was one complaining about the Crone potentially being a spirit and not a 'real god.' I'm sure the idea would be instantly rejected by some.

Comment

Originally posted by Spellfire22 View Post
        What about Azar and Esit from Mummy: the Curse? Are they powerful Shadow spirits, or are they some other sort of being entirely?
        They're one of those beings that don't fit in neatly into a category, even if we do not discount the divinity of spirits.

We see a bit about Anpu the Nameless Jackal in Dark Eras Companion from a non-Mummy (well, Mage) perspective, and he simultaneously registers as a Supernal being, an Underworld native, and an acathartos all at once. And even then, neither of those categories feel correct or complete. Azar and Esit are likely in a similar state of existence as of now, whatever they used to be.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          How is a Rank 6+ spirit not a 'true god'?
          Maybe from a monotheistic point of view they aren't. They otherwise virtually are in scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Spellfire22 View Post
            They are something else altogether.The closest bearing they have to other gamelines might be entities from the Underworld or Goetia, but that somewhat falls apart when you consider the notion that, if any gameline actually has rights to cosmological supremacy, it's Curse and it's grand mythology.

Or put more simply, they're probably just gods, devoid of the other contexts in the Chronicles world.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
            Out of Nation from 5/22 to 5/29

Comment

Working...
            X