Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autocannibalism: A valid way to regain essence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocannibalism: A valid way to regain essence?

Hey all, Korogra here! So after watching Tokyo Ghoul for the Twelfth time and sitting through one of the more uncomfortable episodes a random-yet-really-amusing question occurred to me: If one was willing to risk the horrifyingly dire Harmony violations, would it be possible for one of the Uratha to rapidly regain Essence by eating their own flesh? The innate regenerative capabilities of a werewolf makes this scenario survivable ( if not agonizing and more than likely mind breaking), and now that I think about it this would be a really interesting idea for a Bale Hound loyal to Belphagor to try, seeing how debased this is. Cannibalism is horrible and depraved( and therefor a great way to honor the Maeljin of Gluttony)... but the idea of intentionally eating pieces of your own body to gain energy seems even more horrifying to me. What do you all think?

Since it is still 4 days to heal one aggrivated damage that'd be caused per essance gained in this manor I don't think it'd be as unbalanced as I assumed. That being said, with the other easier sources it'd have to be an act of desperation for a forsaken or other to take a lasting wound like that.

Comment

I'm not following, I was unaware it had to be aggravated damage. That makes this idea not that amusing to me anymore haha

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post
        I'm not following, I was unaware it had to be aggravated damage. That makes this idea not that amusing to me anymore haha

When a Werewolf takes Essence via a bite, the wound becomes Aggravated. Presumably the Essence is coming at the expense of the life energy of the target.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Yeah... I've definitely lost interest in the idea now sadly, I don't consider anything that inflicts aggravated damage to the practitioner a valid thought experiment worth exploring.

Least I learned something new though, so that's something xD

Comment

I could still see it being used symbolically during a Rite or something; by a Bale Hound especially. Similar to the Pure cutting the Renown bands out. Not a regular thing, but something special done in a safe time.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
              I could still see it being used symbolically during a Rite or something; by a Bale Hound especially. Similar to the Pure cutting the Renown bands out. Not a regular thing, but something special done in a safe time.
              I could see it too, but it doesn't have that feel that I originally had when I came to the idea. Then again, I'm the person who looks at aggravated damage and am like " there is no way I am ever intentionally doing this to myself for anyone or anything, healing factor or not. There is no spirit boon great enough for me to want to do it, nope!"

Comment

Well it can now be a true act of desperation rather than a cheap thing that gives more essance than it'd cost to heal.
                If you can heal 2B a turn, 2L for an essance at PR 4 then it becomes 1 free essance per turn which really cheapens essance if this only inflicted lethal damage rather than aggravated.

Comment

Seems like you could do it, though. It would, obviously, be horribly debilitating but potentially something you could do. I like the idea of using it for rites, however.

That said, it's almost always going to be easier to just eat a human. They go down easy and are going to offer so much more Essence.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    Seems like you could do it, though. It would, obviously, be horribly debilitating but potentially something you could do. I like the idea of using it for rites, however.

That said, it's almost always going to be easier to just eat a human. They go down easy and are going to offer so much more Essence.

Yeah, it would really only matter if the point of the rite is the autocannibalism. Other wise there are other things to eat.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                      Well it can now be a true act of desperation rather than a cheap thing that gives more essance than it'd cost to heal.
                      If you can heal 2B a turn, 2L for an essance at PR 4 then it becomes 1 free essance per turn which really cheapens essance if this only inflicted lethal damage rather than aggravated.
                      And that would be really cool and have more applications , but again.. aggravated damage gives me the Heebie Jeebies - I'm perfectly fine making OTHER living things take aggravated, but self inflicted aggro= NO.
                      Last edited by Korogra; 06-15-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Or this, but prudes always gotta look at you funny when you suggest taking the Hunters who've been up in your business to dinner.

Comment

And that would be really coolant have more applications , but again.. aggravated damage gives me the Heebie Jeebies - I'm perfectly fine making OTHER living things take aggravated, but self inflicted aggro= NO.
                          Normally I'd agree. I don't use Stamina as a dump stat, but it's never one of my top priorities. So when I have 7 and occasionally 6 Health and all to often our enemies have corresponding attack dicepools of 7 or 6, it's not something I'd be willing to do.

However, I have this player. In the past few games she's started with 4 in Stamina. These are Vampire and Werewolf, so when you factor in Resilience, which was her highest Discipline, or shapeshifting to forms with more Health or Warrior's Hide, she ends up sitting a nice distance into the double digits of Health. If you have that much, a few points might be worth it, providing you gained something in return. It might be a nice deal required from a spirit for a certain blessing.

Comment

In War Against The Pure a few of the Changing Breeds could specifically get essence this way. (and it did aggravated damage to them too)

So I'd say the answer of whether it's possible is definitely yes, and the reason that it doesn't come up very often is that most werewolves feel pretty much the same about inflicting Agg damage on themselves as Korogra does.

Comment

Or this, but prudes always gotta look at you funny when you suggest taking the Hunters who've been up in your business to dinner.
                              In my games, if you eat human flesh, you will potentially get addicted to it. Then the Lunes find out and point your cannibal ways to nearby righteous packs.

On the subject at hand, I lean towards no, because you'd be eating from your own pool of spirit stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X