Pre-Change Brain Damage and Post-Change Ramifications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Change Brain Damage and Post-Change Ramifications

So we all know werewolves regenerate everything eventually, and genetic defects seem like they get purged too. So let's apply this to say, actual issues with the brain.

so how do you think this'll work out when someone who was brain damaged, severely, either as a genetic condition or as a result of physical teams be like?

It's probably not common, but it might make some interesting encounters....

Guy who was previously quite an idiot suddenly develops surprising cunning and resentment of how he was treated.

Woman in coma since being a little girl wakes up as something else entirely.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Originally posted by Almarck View Post
    So we all know werewolves regenerate everything eventually, and genetic defects seem like they get purged too. So let's apply this to say, actual issues with the brain.

so how do you think this'll work out when someone who was brain damaged, severely, either as a genetic condition or as a result of physical teams be like?

It's probably not common, but it might make some interesting encounters....

Guy who was previously quite an idiot suddenly develops surprising cunning and resentment of how he was treated.

Woman in coma since being a little girl wakes up as something else entirely.

I would vote that it only cures mental conditions harmful to being a perfect hunter, not things like autism (some say the problem autistic people have is that we are too sensitive to social cues and it overwhelms our ability to filter them, rather than not picking up on them in the first place and such Autistic hyper-empathy tend to be rather thing and animal oriented, so animism would probably be no big deal to an autistic Ithaeur or bone shadow who might have an advantage understanding spirits and the way they think . And given the whole Autistic hyper focus thing, one could only imagine how an autistic Irraka or Rahu of the Meninna or the Farsil Luhal just won't stop until the prey is taken down and the threat to their Territory (thing oriented empathy again) is dead, troubles with social skills being meaningless on the hunt.)

EDIT: and of course, Charlaquin is right, Autistic doesn't mean broken and certainly not to an Uratha.
    Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 06-25-2017, 01:57 AM.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

I would say brain damage is healed. The woman waking up from a coma when she First Changes in the OP is a good example, and If Phineas Gage had become a werewolf after his accident, his personality might have returned to its pre-injury state. Potentially trauma-induced disorders like PTSD could be removed as well. But disorders not brought on by injury or psychological harm, I would rule do not change. I don't like the implication of, say, autism being an "injury" that is "healed" by werewolf regeneration.
      Last edited by Charlaquin; 06-25-2017, 01:57 AM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        I would say brain damage is healed. The woman waking up from a coma when she First Changes in the OP is a good example, and If Phineas Gage had become a werewolf after his accident, his personality might have returned its pre-injury state. Potentially trauma-induced disorders like PTSD could be removed as well. But disorders not brought on by injury or psychological harm, I would rule do not change. I don't like the implication of, say, autism being an "injury" that is "healed" by werewolf regeneration.
        I agree, being Autistic myself. And like I said, Autism could actually be a benefit to some uratha.

Comment

Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
          That makes sense. Now I think about it, I've never knowingly seen anyone portray an autistic werewolf character. That's something that would be really cool to see.

I agree, being Autistic myself. And like I said, Autism could actually be a benefit to some uratha.
          That raises an interesting related question - would the enhanced sensory capabilities brought on by First Change (or Embrace, or transition into any CofD splat with enhanced senses for that matter) make sensory overload easier or harder to deal with for people who experience it?

Comment

That raises an interesting related question - would the enhanced sensory capabilities brought on by First Change (or Embrace, or transition into any CofD splat with enhanced senses for that matter) make sensory overload easier or harder to deal with for people who experience it?
            Ooooohhhhhhh..... Now we're talking.... my best guess off the top of my head is that it would be harder at first, but they would adapt eventually. An autistic uratha, for example. may well carry a fetish that allows them to focus on sensory input related to a sacred hunt, but they might have trouble off the hunt. An autistic Kindred probably has some coil or blood magic spell that helps with the sensory overload. Magic shouldn't be able to cure it, but it should able to mitigate some of the issues

Comment

Ooooohhhhhhh..... Now we're talking.... my best guess off the top of my head is that it would be harder at first, but they would adapt eventually. An autistic uratha, for example. may well carry a fetish that allows them to focus on sensory input related to a sacred hunt, but they might have trouble off the hunt. An autistic Kindred probably has some coil or blood magic spell that helps with the sensory overload. Magic shouldn't be able to cure it, but it should able to mitigate some of the issues
              Damn, that's awesome! now I really want to see someone portray an autistic Uratha character.

Comment

Damn, that's awesome! now I really want to see someone portray an autistic Uratha character.
                Well, if ever manage to get a group together, I would be willing to do so. An autistic uratha dealing with sensory overload probably has a little out of the way room, or a safe and hidden area of the hisil or a garden or a patch of woods in or by the pack's den where they can just get away from the stimulation, even if doing so is just rolling in some flowers in Urhan form or a listening to white noise machine or the meaningless babble of a minor spirit in the hisil (it is the hypersensitivity combined with the hyperfocus that gets you, you have to break the focus to really get rid of the overload, otherwise you're still thinking about it.)

Comment

Well, if ever manage to get a group together, I would be willing to do so. An autistic uratha dealing with sensory overload probably has a little out of the way room, or a safe and hidden area of the hisil or a garden or a patch of woods in or by the pack's den where they can just get away from the stimulation, even if doing so is just rolling in some flowers in Urhan form (it is the hypersensitivity combined with the hyperfocus that gets you, you have to break the focus to really get rid of the overload, otherwise you're still thinking about it.)
                  So, I love this idea and I brought it up to my partner's sister who also has autism. She suggested that shapeshifing could be used as a means of stimming.

This deserves its own thread.

Comment

So, I love this idea and I brought it up to my partner's sister who also has autism. She suggested that shapeshifing could be used as a means of stimming.

If I were a werewolf I would stim with chew toys, like my little anti-overstimulation space would just be a little room in the packs den with my computer, a big fancy dog bed, a waterfall (the sound of running water really helps me) and chew toys just scattered all over the place
                    Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 06-25-2017, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Here you go

Comment

Wasn't thinking about autism, but it's certainly an interesting character concept. Not gonna lie.

So any brain damage that's a hindrance goes outright?

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
                        DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
                        Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

I would vote that it only cures mental conditions harmful to being a perfect hunter, not things like autism (some say the problem autistic people have is that we are too sensitive to social cues and it overwhelms our ability to filter them, rather than not picking up on them in the first place and such Autistic hyper-empathy tend to be rather thing and animal oriented, so animism would probably be no big deal to an autistic Ithaeur or bone shadow who might have an advantage understanding spirits and the way they think . And given the whole Autistic hyper focus thing, one could only imagine how an autistic Irraka or Rahu of the Meninna or the Farsil Luhal just won't stop until the prey is taken down and the threat to their Territory (thing oriented empathy again) is dead, troubles with social skills being meaningless on the hunt.)
                          "I need to finish." - Christian Wolff (The Accountant, 2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post

"I need to finish." - Christian Wolff (The Accountant, 2016)

Well there's your autistic Forsaken accountant right there.... He even declares a Sacred Hunt on people who short him! Um.. note the last name?

--Khanwulf

Comment

Working...
                            X