Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autism and Uratha

Continuing from this thread.

How does an autistic Uratha deal with things like sensory overload, and other such questions.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

I have a feeling this thread is not going to go well.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

It'll be fine as long as people are mature adults. In the gaming section most people still are.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
      DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
      Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Autistic myself, I will make sure this thread goes good places.

Besides, you said the same about my Trump in the WoD thread, and that somehow didn't get locked.

Originally posted by Almarck View Post

It'll be fine as long as people are mature adults. In the gaming section most people still are.
        Indeed.

Back on topic, since I tend to use the payday gang as my go to example for WtF stuff with my non TRPG gamer friends, I will say that the spaces in their safehouse/den belong to Sangres (a little room uinder the stairs with soom beer, a good TV and a shrine to the virgin mary (Prayer probably works as a form of stiming, not too religious myself, but an autistic Uratha might have a little spirit they please with their stiming) , Scarface (his office with the piano and stuff), and Bodhi (his surfboard workshop ) are what I imagine an Autistic Uratha's anti-oversimiulation space of the pack's would be like (I would add Jiro's meditation space, except as you upgrade it, a bunch of his Yakuza buddies show up and a good anti-overstimulation space is where you can be alone with distracting things.

The point to get away from the bad stimulation AND get your mind off it, since the autistic hyperfocus will keep you thinking about it otherwise.

As seen here
        Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 06-25-2017, 03:15 AM.

Comment

As the person who suggested the discussion expand into its own thread, I'm keeping a close eye on it, so if it becomes a problem I can curtail it quickly.

I think it'll probably be fine though, the CofD community here is generally pretty mature and respectful.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

So I mentioned this in the other thread, but I do like the idea of shapeshifting being a way of stimming. Though that might only work on the mid-to-low end of the Harmony scale. High harmony shapeshifting sounds immensely unpleasant to me, I can only imagine it would be worse for someone who struggles with sensory overload.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              So I mentioned this in the other thread, but I do like the idea of shapeshifting being a way of stimming. Though that might only work on the mid-to-low end of the Harmony scale. High harmony shapeshifting sounds immensely unpleasant to me, I can only imagine it would be worse for someone who struggles with sensory overload.
              I imagine so. I bet certain forms of overstimulation might even be a Kuruth trigger. I know chalkboards would be for me.

Comment

Also, like I said, the way empathy works in autistic people would probably adapt well to animism, since it tends to be very thing and animal oriented
                Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 06-25-2017, 03:08 AM.

Comment

There does seem to be a way to numb the sensory overload, if only the tactile senses, for a bit. There's a strange feeling that comes with using Essence to heal, apparently. 'Instead of feeling her body put itself back together, the werewolf feels a refreshing chill. It is almost euphoric. Much like a human can become addicted to morphine for taking away the pain, a werewolf might become addicted to Essence-healing. Even the most superficial cuts become trials for the Uratha, as she is forced to choose between feeling her flesh pull and stretch, or the cool numbness.'

I'd think if you found the right kind of glade, too, it might be able to set you at ease, them being places of peace or safety. Finding the right kind of locus and empowering it for a safe place to rest. One could even make deals with spirits that could numb the senses for a time. There are Silence spirits and Darkness spirits to keep ones hearing and sight from being overwhelmed. If a deal couldn't be reached, a fetish could be made.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    There does seem to be a way to numb the sensory overload, if only the tactile senses, for a bit. There's a strange feeling that comes with using Essence to heal, apparently. 'Instead of feeling her body put itself back together, the werewolf feels a refreshing chill. It is almost euphoric. Much like a human can become addicted to morphine for taking away the pain, a werewolf might become addicted to Essence-healing. Even the most superficial cuts become trials for the Uratha, as she is forced to choose between feeling her flesh pull and stretch, or the cool numbness.'

I'd think if you found the right kind of glade, too, it might be able to set you at ease with less self-harm. Finding the right kind of locus and empowering it for a safe place to rest. One could even make deals with spirits that could numb the senses for a time. There are Silence spirits and Darkness spirits to keep ones hearing and sight from being overwhelmed. If a deal couldn't be reached, a fetish could be made.
                    I had a similar idea regarding a fetish that filters out excess stimulation during a sacred hunt, but leaves the uratha to deal with over-stimulation off the hunt.

I love the Glade as safe space idea too.

If I were an uratha I would stim with chew toys, my little anti-overstimulation space would just be a little room in the packs den with my computer, a big fancy dog bed, a waterfall (the sound of running water really helps me) and chew toys just scattered all over the place
                    Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 06-25-2017, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
                      How does an autistic Uratha deal with things like sensory overload, and other such questions.
                      I dunno, normal Uratha senses are described to be extremely acute, true, but they also do one hell of a job filtering all the incredible volume of information to the point of being able to function with virtual superman hearing, and able to divert sensory focus to instantly make up for a lost sense to negate impairment completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post

I dunno, normal Uratha senses are described to be extremely acute, true, but they also do one hell of a job filtering all the incredible volume of information to the point of being able to function with virtual superman hearing, and able to divert sensory focus to instantly make up for a lost sense to negate impairment completely.
                        I mean, if autistic humans lack that fliter, it would make sense for it to be nonfunctional in werewolves.

Comment

It might be that it only really shows when using wolf senses, and they sometimes have to switch to their human ones in wolf form to cope.

Comment

It makes me wonder if there are trully autistic wolves in nature ... If autism does not work on them, it makes alot of sense to me that won't work for uratha after the first change.

Comment

While obviously it's curious whether animals experience autism, putting aside the fact that the nature of wolves has more bearing on werewolves in Apocalypse than it does Forsaken, for sake of the thread we should probably just go with the idea that autistic werewolves can and do exist. For one thing I doubt we're going to get a hard answer on that regarding the setting. For another The young man in the cafe is asking specifically about autistic werewolves, so whether the setting 'officially' has them or not, he's asking about the situation as if they definitively do.

I'm not sure what stimming is. Is it to calm oneself, or to get you familiar stimulation?
                              Last edited by nofather; 06-25-2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X