Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D'oh!

Fixed.
    Last edited by Charlaquin; 06-26-2017, 01:55 PM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

I am, but I'm pretty slow with this kind of stuff.
      I just realized that your take on the lodge of fevered light might have made an enemy of the lodge of the hundred days given the stunt Wakefield pulled in the Minnesota.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post

I just realized that your take on the lodge of fevered light might have made an enemy of the lodge of the hundred days given the stunt Wakefield pulled in the Minnesota.
        Don't forget the Lodge of the Fallen Idol (anti-religion Uratha who try to put indiscriminate fervor and fanaticism in check)

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post

Don't forget the Lodge of the Fallen Idol (anti-religion Uratha who try to put indiscriminate fervor and fanaticism in check)
          I imagine an autistic uratha who cared to hunt anti-vaxxers (many autistic people consider them a hate group) would have a number of lodges wiling to help. The lodge of the modernist probably has an interest in the anti-vaxxer's use of manipulative language, the lodges of scrolls and lighting would hunt the anti-vaxxer humans based on their influence,

Comment

So apologies for the thread necromancy, but I found this journal article on a theory that the evolutionary origins of autism are that of an adaptation towards “lone hunter/gather/forager” behavior that has become unfortunately maladaptive in a world where getting food is more about social skills than how good you are at punching a wooly mammoth to death without help. In the context of the Uratha, one implication here is that autistic Irraka are OP. Also on a related note, ADHD is also a hunter lifestyle adaptation from an evolutionary perspective, it only became a disorder in a world now dominated by farmers, now the implication here is that a lot of old wolfblooded/Uratha families probably have very high rates of ADHD as a result of that evolutionary pressure continuing into the modern day. Any thoughts?

Article is here: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...70491100900209
            Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 02-20-2021, 08:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to link the journal article

Comment

Reminds me of demigods in the Percy Jackson franchise all being ADHD and dyslexic as side-effects of their natural combat awareness and automatic knowledge of ancient languages.

EDIT: Though that article is full of nothing but evopsych’s infamous status in practice as the science of how to make hypotheses sound like conclusions.
              Last edited by Sith_Happens; 02-20-2021, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I was literally having a conversation this morning about how having a certain percentage of people with autism could be an adaptive trait for an early human community. Because I really doubt we're anything new, despite the anti-vaxx garbage that gets tossed around. And having people around who are hyper-sensitive to certain sounds, smells, and changes in their environment sounds really useful if you live in an unsecured cave or yurt, surrounded by apex predators and nasty poisonous things, in a world that hasn't learned to fear you.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

On the one hand, the theme that your First Change as an Uratha forces your body to prime hunting capacity, I can see an argument that the sensory overload that comes with many flavors of neurodivergence (ADHD/Autism Spectrums) disappearing for most Uratha as it would be incredibly cruel and debilitating to have your hunters overwhelmed by their innate senses (which, while already harsh - we're talking mystic mumbo-jumbo here). I know when I'm stressed, extra unwanted aural input drives my anxiety into overdrive and as a werewolf on the prowl - that's not a good thing.

On the other hand, there are theories floating about that ADHD/Autism spectrums thrived up until about the Industrial era because the way we interacted with our enviroment was much more suitable to the environments we existed within. Maybe Uratha who were on the spectrums are a little more capable of handling the extraordinary senses of the forms because they've spent their entire lives trying to manage that with just regular ol' human perception.

Or, if it doesn't disappear because - as Measure of Hope said; being more sensitive to sensory input is excellent for, say, rural/wilderness living - perhaps these are the werewolves who cannot remain in the city limits and find some comfort in the wilderness or even the Shadow itself as it's not all needless white-noise anymore.

I can see High-Harmony shifting for those with tactical avoidance being incredibly miserable, and let's not even think about the issues with non-essence healing. I know that when I scrape my skin that my mind is going to focus on that injury to the exclusion of all else because the texture is *different* and yeah - as a werewolf - I'd quickly learn how to over-indulge in Essence-Healing.

It's a very interesting conversation-starter for sure.

Comment

I wasn't around the first time this thread circulated but I very much like the interpretation that Uratha are not neurotypical, by human standards, to begin with. I have ADHD and I connect very strongly to a lot of the themes and setting elements of this game because that lone hunter/hyperfocus/difficulty controlling impulses things sounds a lot like how my own brain works.

Comment

I can't get to my books, so do forgive me if I'm wrong; because they removed flaws, such as insanity, phobias, permanent blindness etc from 2nd edition, I'm under the impression that simply being a werewolf sort of 'cures' any mental and physical instabilities and deficiencies. Wouldn't an autistic werewolf therefore lose any actual physical reactions to stimuli and/or stress, as their body and psyche copes with what it used to struggle with?

Dam da namsithim.

Comment

Flaws just got rolled into Conditions, really. If you want a "flaw", take/create an appropriate persistent Condition at character creation (with ST approval). It will work basically the same, except that instead of getting immediate XP, you will gain an extra source of beats.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Yeah flaws still exist just in a different form. That said, from the Senses section on p94.

"If a werewolf had lost a sense prior to the First Change, it comes back within days of the Change. This will force the regeneration of lost eyes or other sense organs. Even if she was born blind or deaf, the Change brings senses that she has never experienced before."

"Further, if she would normally suffer penalties due to deprivation (blindness, strong scents, or deafness), her other senses compensate, negating those penalties entirely."

While it says deprivation, the mention of strong scents suggests being overwhelmed, as well. I have no experience with Autism but you could argue that if they are experiencing sensory overload, at least in certain forms or using certain senses they would be able to balance things out. That may only help with the senses aspect, however. Similar to the morphine-like addiction of using Essence to healing it can become a part of the character or a detriment depending on how you play it.

Comment

Working...
                          X