Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Totem cant teach Gifts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by nofather View Post

    Sure.
    So you can hunt it for gifts !

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Story Letter View Post
      So you can hunt it for gifts !
      Except due to the totem bond it can't give you Gifts.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by nofather View Post

        Except due to the totem bond it can't give you Gifts.

        House Rule Mode Switch On ! (H.R.M.S.O.)

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
          One would wonder why they call them "gifts".
          The ironic naming comes from the fact that a hunt can end with the proposed bribery of a spirit to the forsaken to be spared if they offer a gift of their supernatural insight.

          Just as spirits can't accept to perform some task without prior payment, the notion that they themselves would skip doing so looks erroneous to me.
          Last edited by Malus; 06-29-2017, 05:37 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Raistlin View Post


            One would wonder why they call them "gifts".
            There is a section in Lore of the Forsaken in which basically call on the fact that the name makes absolutely no sense in the context of the game. It basically boils down to "Apocalypse holdover"

            As they stand now, considering how one unlocks a Gift and it all facet and the description of scarification (on the spiritual sense) i would call them Paths.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
              There is a section in Lore of the Forsaken in which basically call on the fact that the name makes absolutely no sense in the context of the game. It basically boils down to "Apocalypse holdover"
              You sure you're not thinking of some other book? Because as it's described in Lore of the Forsaken, and the general Forsaken books, it does make sense. It does say it's hard to describe, in-world, but it does explain it pretty succinctly in an out-of-character context.

              As they stand now, considering how one unlocks a Gift and it all facet and the description of scarification (on the spiritual sense) i would call them Paths.
              It's the spirit gifting you with its Resonance.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by nofather View Post
                It's the spirit gifting you with its Resonance.
                Alternately, it's a "gift" in the same sense as we say that a piano prodigy has a gift for music — once the symbolism is scarred into your Essence, it's as natural an exercise as breathing deeply.


                Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by nofather View Post

                  You sure you're not thinking of some other book? Because as it's described in Lore of the Forsaken, and the general Forsaken books, it does make sense. It does say it's hard to describe, in-world, but it does explain it pretty succinctly in an out-of-character context.
                  Could be, what i remember went along the lines of "The usual definitions of a gift is something freely give which may seem odd considering thats never the case for Gifts...." or something along those lines if memory serves me right.

                  It didnt quite fit in Apocalypse either as while many Gifts were trully given freely some one had to get.

                  Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  It's the spirit gifting you with its Resonance.
                  Not exactly, is the spirit writing the paths of its resonance on you once you have bribe him, punch it or coerce it enough. Is kinda like saying Mc Donalds is gifting me burgers after i pay them money for it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    It's a Gift in the meaning of Talent - like playing piano, having natural cooking skills, etc.


                    My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X