Efficient Killer and Weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficient Killer and Weapons

So, brief question regarding Efficient Killer. Tried to find any answers to it, but couldn't!

Q: Can Efficient Killer be used in conjunction with klaives or will only Gauru's natural weapons do the trick?

Also, I did see someone raise the question about what constitutes 'living' to an Efficient Killer target. If Vampires are 'not living' enough, are Claimed, Promethean, Materialized spirits, and so forth? Or is this one of those cases where the Storyteller must see it case by case?

Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Klaives do not exist, but in any event, yes, it doesn't require any claws or teeth... granted, you'd probably need something imprecise since Gauru weaponry needs to be shaped specifically for it, so lean on clubs. the fluff indicates that the entity in question must have an anatomy that can be descerned as having weakpoints or vital spots.

I'd argue vampires might count (especially if you have wooden spikes), but not anything else on the list you ask because of this.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

In general I would err on the side of allowing Efficient Killer to work, if only to honor the player's Experience investment. If you can make called shots on it and they cause Tilts, I'd say the anatomy has discernible enough weak points to count.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Klaives doesn't exist in 2E.
        I'd recommend not using Efficient Killer in play. Any attack that converts the dice pool to successes will have roughly three times as many successes than if the attack was rolled. That's pretty obscene when the minimum dice pool is going to be nine dice (3 Strength + 3 Brawl + 3 extra Strength in Gauru) with possibility to use Willpower to boost the dice pool, and the tendency of Purity focused Uratha to have Gifts to add Purity to either dice pool or damage. That could easily be 17 lethal inflicted (compared to an average of 8 or 9 lethal if it was a regular surprise attack), just going by the prereqs for the Merit. And most Uratha who uses it will probably have even more dice.
        And if you skip it you'll also end up saving yourself a headache trying to determine what constitutes a valid target.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmisky View Post
          So, brief question regarding Efficient Killer. Tried to find any answers to it, but couldn't!

Q: Can Efficient Killer be used in conjunction with klaives or will only Gauru's natural weapons do the trick?

Also, I did see someone raise the question about what constitutes 'living' to an Efficient Killer target. If Vampires are 'not living' enough, are Claimed, Promethean, Materialized spirits, and so forth? Or is this one of those cases where the Storyteller must see it case by case?
          Claimed: In so far as the entity hasn't turned the host body into say, water (water elemental comes to mind, the dread power I mean), sure.

Promethean: Barring likely transmutations, sure.

Spirits: Depends on the spirit. Good luck doing this to say, a wind spirit.

About the use of weaponry with it? YMMV. The mechanics of shoving a knife into someone's throat isn't that much different from having your jaws just teat that throat out, but the pre-requisite and the drawback clearly point at a up and personal investment to the kill.
          Last edited by Malus; 06-29-2017, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Natural weapons. Though there are some fetishes that can 'be' natural weapons. That's the reason for the Brawl Skill pre-requisite.

Malus has it described pretty well. No for Materialized spirit just because they tend not to have 'discernible weak points.' Similar to a vampire, it's a formed bit of ephemera, and whats inside doesn't really matter, so you can strike through the 'heart' of a humanoid-seeming spirit and it won't suddenly die from lack of a heart. Exceptions are obviously made for a spirit that due to its ban has a discernible weak point.

Comment

Also, I did see someone raise the question about what constitutes 'living' to an Efficient Killer target. If Vampires are 'not living' enough, are Claimed, Promethean, Materialized spirits, and so forth?
              It can be used with weapons, but only on living targets be it animals, humans, monsters. It doesn't work on undead, animated corpses and spirits, it works on promithean if they are considered alive, if not it has no effect. It is a very specific cheap merit with too many prerequisites and a major drawback.

You can always houserule it if you don't like the way it works.
              Last edited by Story Letter; 06-30-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Regarding it working on spirits: I usually let it if the spirit represents a living being, as it's corpus might by dint of it's resonance perform like a living organism. But that's a personal take.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
                  Regarding it working on spirits: I usually let it if the spirit represents a living being, as it's corpus might by dint of it's resonance perform like a living organism. But that's a personal take.
                  I don't think it works on any materialized spirit because they keep being spirits in matterial world, just more solid, the merit allows you to kill something mortal that can be killed with a precise attack when the victim gets careless, aka has no defense. On the other hand if you want to keep your game weird and full of surprises, both pleasant and unpleasant, you can make it work on spirits that their concept is related to living stuff when they materialize, like prey related concept when performing the hunting ritual.

Comment

Working...
                  X