• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where went Klaives in 2E?

I was puzzled by this statement:

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    Klaives doesn't exist in 2E.
    So we lost all of Fetish made weapons? Because Klaives are basically this - it's just special name for Fetish weapons.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    So we lost all of Fetish made weapons? Because Klaives are basically this - it's just special name for Fetish weapons.
    There are fetish weapons, you can see them in the book, they're just not called klaives, the term was retired because it didn't fit the game.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

There are fetish weapons, you can see them in the book, they're just not called klaives, the term was retired because it didn't fit the game.
      Didn't fit the game because the term was a hold-over from Apocalypse. Klaive isn't First Tongue either.

Comment

I was puzzled by this statement:

If you look back at 1e, there was apparently supposed to be a difference between normal fetish weapons and Klaives. The distinction never made sense in Forsaken, however, because there was no practical difference. Some fetish weapons were just called Klaives for no apparent reason and we were supposed to accept that they were more special and important than the other fetish weapons that didn't get called Klaives. This, like the old names for Spirit Ranks, was a holdover from Apocalypse (where there actually was a difference between Klaives and non-Klaive fetish weapons) that really didn't make sense in Forsaken. So, the term was discarded in 2e. You can still make fetish weapons, they just don't get a special name.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I wonder if not use term Klaives in Wolf & Raven Dark Era as Norse Uratha name for weapons fetish? Just small flavor, I think, that should have sense in local, Scandinavian game.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
          My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Just small flavor, I think, that should have sense in local, Scandinavian game.
            Why? Is it a Scandinavian term?

Comment

Why? Is it a Scandinavian term?
              It's not? All Apocalypse terms were taken from normal human languages. 'Klaives' sounds as something from Norse related one.

Comment

It's not? All Apocalypse terms were taken from normal human languages. 'Klaives' sounds as something from Norse related one.
                I think a lot of them were just made up, actually. This seems like it was from Krull, which had the erroneously named Glaive.

Klai seems to mean Clay in Scandinavian, though there's other posters here who would know more.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a completely made-up word. Which, I mean, I guess all words are, but as far as I know it doesn't have its origin in any real world language.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

I think a lot of them were just made up, actually. This seems like it was from Krull, which had the erroneously named Glaive.

Klai seems to mean Clay in Scandinavian, though there's other posters here who would know more.
                    Scandinavian isn't a language.
                    As far as I know klai isn't a word in any of the Nordic languages. Clay would be translated as lera/ler/leir/leire in all five main languages.
                    To me (a Swedish speaker with a minor linguistic interest) klaive sounds a lot English (and is certainly spellt like an English word with that telltale silent e tacked on), possibly with a Latin/French origin like glaive.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

Sorry, I (obviously) know little about the area and its culture.

Clay would be translated as lera/ler/leir/leire in all five main languages.
                      Apparently it's Old Frisian?

To me (a Swedish speaker with a minor linguistic interest) klaive sounds a lot English (and is certainly spellt like an English word with that telltale silent e tacked on), possibly with a Latin/French origin like glaive.
                      It's used in Exalted, too, I think it's just one of the made up words, as I said.
                      Last edited by nofather; 06-30-2017, 11:42 PM.

Comment

As far as I know klai isn't a word in any of the Nordic languages. Clay would be translated as lera/ler/leir/leire in all five main languages.
                        That silent e was also a popular thing in White Wolf games in the 90s. See also: Caine.

Comment

Maybe they meant it to be pronounced Cain-ee. When people started saying it wrong they just went along with it.

Comment

I have no idea where WW got the specific spelling of "klaive" but it doesn't seem completely made up. There's two Indo-European roots that could possibly be the source of whatever archaic reference they picked up for it (and are probably related at that). Hell, the only reason we use "glaive" for a specific polearm is because Latin swapped a c to a g when naming the gladius.

Comment

Apparently it's Old Frisian?
                              That's a West Germanic language, though, more related to English and Scots (but diverged back when the Angles and Saxons settled Great Britain so definitely not mutually intelligible with modern English).

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

Working...
                              X