No announcement yet.

Wolfblooded and Supernatural Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolf-blooded tells do have the unusual trait that they can coexist with even a (non-werewolf) major template. Compared to that, a supernatural merit seems like small potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

I'm sorry you're right, I read that bit in the Scales wrong. The Ordo's never really appealed to me the way it does to a lot of people, I'd say it's one of the fan favorites.

Still, in the ghouls section on p297 there's this, 'Learning Disciplines: Ghouls may learn Disciplines under the same rules as Kindred. They may not learn Coils or Scales of the Dragon.'

On this note, I'd probably also limit ghouls from learning and using Coils and Scales, simply because that set of powers is strongly focused on the internal vampiric nature and is implemented by "stretching" the vampiric flesh in ways that would destroy mortal tissue. It's like saying you can be Dr. Frankenstein and operate on yourself as the monster at the same time. Just not practical.

Somewhat similarly, ghouls have issues with Cruac because to use it right they need large amounts of vitae, preferably spilled from their own "veins". Normal blood won't do, or at least won't without a Merit or something.

--Khanwulf

PS: I need to look again at The Pack. Thanks Ever Professional!

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
        PS: I need to look again at The Pack. Thanks Ever Professional!
        Happy to help. The Pack is currently one of my favorite supplements, and I've had plans to use that merit to build a foil to the werewolves in a werewolf game I plan to run in the next year or so.

Comment

On this note, I'd probably also limit ghouls from learning and using Coils and Scales, simply because that set of powers is strongly focused on the internal vampiric nature and is implemented by "stretching" the vampiric flesh in ways that would destroy mortal tissue. It's like saying you can be Dr. Frankenstein and operate on yourself as the monster at the same time. Just not practical.
          Oh absolutely, the first edition vampire Ghouls book explains they cannot because it depends on the alteration of the vampiric system.

Comment

Still, in the ghouls section on p297 there's this, 'Learning Disciplines: Ghouls may learn Disciplines under the same rules as Kindred. They may not learn Coils or Scales of the Dragon.'
            Yes. As I previously said that's what we've houseruled away.

Oh absolutely, the first edition vampire Ghouls book explains they cannot because it depends on the alteration of the vampiric system.
            Only Coils existed in 1E, and in 2E only the Coils are actual alterations of the vampiric system.
            The way most Scales are presented there's absolutely nothing that seems to require the user being a vampire. Many of them are alchemical solutions with blood, Vitae and mystical herbs and shit. Anyone should be able to mix those together. Some Scales does require the use of exclusively vampiric powers but there's no reason a vampire couldn't lend a hand to a ghoul or a regular human who happens to know the Scale. They are learned procedures; not innate powers like the Coils or Disciplines.
            Last edited by Tessie; 07-12-2017, 03:30 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
              The section on ghouls in VtR core does specify that they lose all Supernatural Merits they might've had. And promptly ignored by us, just like the ban on Scales.
              Actually, the part about "Ghouls learning Supernatural Merits" in our campaign is not a general thing for Ghouls, it's the result of hard work by mad Ordo members.
              So technically a House Rule, but considering the Coil of Zirnitra...

Comment

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post

Happy to help. The Pack is currently one of my favorite supplements, and I've had plans to use that merit to build a foil to the werewolves in a werewolf game I plan to run in the next year or so.

Ok, since this is somewhat on-topic, if a wolf-blooded has Primal Urge 1 thanks to the Primal Instincts tell, what other aspects of werewolf mechanics would she gain access to other than a supernatural tolerance rating? Assume for the sake of discussion that a source of essence is available in some fashion.

How might that interact with other supernatural merits (that are not tells)?

--Khanwulf

Comment

Ok, since this is somewhat on-topic, if a wolf-blooded has Primal Urge 1 thanks to the Primal Instincts tell, what other aspects of werewolf mechanics would she gain access to other than a supernatural tolerance rating?
                  Explicitly nothing besides the ability to use Pack Tactics unless they've got another Tell.

It might be neat to rule that you can combine the Tell's ability to raise that Primal Urge with the regeneration from A Wolf's Meat, but that's pretty firmly in the realm of an individual table to decide.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                  Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    Explicitly nothing besides the ability to use Pack Tactics unless they've got another Tell.

It might be neat to rule that you can combine the Tell's ability to raise that Primal Urge with the regeneration from A Wolf's Meat, but that's pretty firmly in the realm of an individual table to decide.

Thanks! I wasn't picking up on anything else, and it's good to have another confirmation. What do you think the reaction of spirits to a primal-urge endowed wolf-blooded would be? Half a notch more toward werewolf?

--Khanwulf

Comment

For the most part I tend to agree with Ever Professional above about allowing characters (even full werewolf characters) to keep supernatural merits, though we'll discuss it before any final determination is made. Of course, by saying I "allow" characters to keep their supernatural merits doesn't mean I encourage it. In fact, I try to show players that in reality their werewolf Gifts/Rites/Merits are way more powerful and useful than any supernatural merit (usually). So far, I've only had one player who ended up keeping a supernatural merit. She was a Bone Shadow Ithaeur who really liked interacting with the dead, so I let her keep her Medium merit. It hasn't unbalanced anything.

Comment

Originally posted by FossMaNo1 View Post
                        She was a Bone Shadow Ithaeur who really liked interacting with the dead, so I let her keep her Medium merit. It hasn't unbalanced anything.
                        I'm guessing you've houseruled it to only work for ghosts, then. The Medium Merit would be awesome for negotiating with spirits since you can temporarily apply the Resonant Condition relating to any type of spirit onto anything for no cost.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

A quick question, if a Wolfblooded gains a full template like Mage, or Vampire, does she keep her Tell?

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post
                            A quick question, if a Wolfblooded gains a full template like Mage, or Vampire, does she keep her Tell?
                            Yes. P300, 'Unless she goes through the First Change, a Wolf-Blooded character retains her Tell if she becomes another kind of supernatural creature.'

Comment

Working...
                            X