[2E] Totems questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Totems questions

Having run today whole Totem Hunting plotline for my players pack – and not founding answers in WtF 2E corebook and The Pack books – I go with them to forum community. So here are starting questions:
    1. Can individual characters have their own Totem? Beside Tribe Firstborn, Lodges Totem and their Pack Totem? Are there some limitations? Most players ask me about wolf spirits for their own characters. If yes, can character make familiar-like sort, with personal Totem embodying physical animal? Can their be your Spirits Touchstones?
    2. How does pack get bond with Totem? I’m not asking about finding or convincing Totem ( those are part of Siskur-Dah on Totem spirit ) – but how this mystical bond is sealed? Is this some kind of Pack Ritual? Or just new Totem blink and it’s now sealed with characters?
    3. How does bond with Totem feel? Can it’s worshipers call him any time? Is he hanging over any pack member all the time? Does Totem hear thoughts of it’s adherents - or pack members need to shout his name to empty air?

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Can individual characters have their own Totem? Beside Tribe Firstborn, Lodges Totem and their Pack Totem? Are there some limitations? Most players ask me about wolf spirits for their own characters. If yes, can character make familiar-like sort, with personal Totem embodying physical animal? Can their be your Spirits Touchstones?
    On p.108 in the WtF 2E core for Totem merit it starts: "Your character has a relationship to a totem spirit, either personally or a pack totem." So yes, you can have a personal totem.

But it continues: "Note that any character can only have five points of this merit." So that would be the limitation. Basically by RAW it can only grant a 1 experience cost benefit.
    Last edited by Cainite; 07-14-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      [*]Can individual characters have their own Totem? Beside Tribe Firstborn, Lodges Totem and their Pack Totem? Are there some limitations? Most players ask me about wolf spirits for their own characters. If yes, can character make familiar-like sort, with personal Totem embodying physical animal? Can their be your Spirits Touchstones?
      I'm surprised, wyrdhamster. Yes, they can have personal totems. Yes there are limitations. Yes you can have spirit buddies, this is in the Pack. And yes they can be spirit touchstones, a personal totem is the second example.

[*]How does pack get bond with Totem? I’m not asking about finding or convincing Totem ( those are part of Siskur-Dah on Totem spirit ) – but how this mystical bond is sealed? Is this some kind of Pack Ritual? Or just new Totem blink and it’s now sealed with characters?
      An agreement. Remember that in second edition, the totem is not the 'head' of the pack anymore. The pack is part of werewolf life, and they bring the spirit into it. How they do so will depend on the pack.

[*]How does bond with Totem feel? Can it’s worshipers call him any time? Is he hanging over any pack member all the time? Does Totem hear thoughts of it’s adherents - or pack members need to shout his name to empty air?[/LIST]
      They aren't worshipers, that's a Lodge thing. A pack likely can't call their totem anytime unless it or they have it as a power or have set up some method to do so. It can hang over a pack member all the time, but it isn't forced to, it can just sit in a locus all the time if that's the kind of spirit it is. For instance, the spirit of a bank isn't going to go out hunting with players and is likely to just sit at the bank it represents, but you may be able to contact it at any time through ATMs related to that bank, via minor messenger spirits. A spirit of the Mongolian Killing Words may hang around the Ithaeur at all times because he's the one that unleashed it from its fetish prison and it is the only one capable of learning the Killing Words. If you want to get in touch with it, call the Ithaeur. Other packs or totems might have shortcuts in communicating with one another, or they might not have thought that far and have to do it the long way.
      Last edited by nofather; 07-14-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X