Managing Renown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing Renown

Just checking in with all the good people here to see how, in your experience, Renown has been managed well.

Since the rules have a player purchase Renown with experience, it is really easy for a character to skyrocket up to 5 Renown in any one category fairly early in their career. Only, as a story element, I have to ask myself, "Is that it then? Has this character reached the peak of 'Glory' or 'Honor?'" It seems like a waste to me, but then I also understand a player's zeal to achieve power as fast as possible.

I've seen Storytellers disallow players to spend XP and he instead awarded it as he saw fit. This is elegant as long as it is fair and consistent in how/why Renown is awarded. Still, that just adds more to the Storyteller's plate and what he/she has to keep track of.

So, in your Chronicles, how has managing renown been done well?

A mix between those two ways. You can buy it with Experiences but it has to be justified.through in-character action. Since Renown's more likely to occur due to sacrifice or great risk, and each one is going to be harder than the last, you need to really gun for it if you want to go high. I think only one wolf in our group got one Renown to 4.

Reaching 5 in a Renown is nice, giving you a nice dicepool and advantages for certain Gifts, but reaching 1 in all Renown is arguably more advantageous. Until you have that, you're locked out of a lot of facets.

Comment

Let your player keep their own tabs on renown worthy deeds, then you get to review them. Go over the list, and yay or nay it.

Comment

I was always a proponent of Players keeping track of their own renown and then havimng that discussion with the GM, as we did in 1st Edition... Made it easier on the GM, in my opinion. Don't know if you actually agree with that one, though FossMaN01, thoguh you did seem to appreciate it.

Hope your game goes gangbusters.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Working...
        X