Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Wolf & Raven] How to build Rune Caster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wolf & Raven] How to build Rune Caster?

In my Viking chronicle, I have Bone Shadow Ithaeur player. She likes 'dead things curiosity' of Bone Shadows and plays 'priestess' on our Viking raids. She also have Rune Caster Merit and we found out there are a bit problems in using it by my quick read of WtF 2E corebook.

For ease of referance, I will quote Merit from Wolf & Raven Dark Era here.

Originally posted by Dark Eras 1, p. 163
    RUNE CASTER (••)
    Prerequisite: Occult 2
    Effect: Your character is known for her ability to read runestones, divining the path of fate and the will of the old gods. By incorporating and casting the stones in her rituals, the character gains +2 on rolls for the Clairvoyance, Medium, or Omen Sensitivity Merits, interpreting a Cahalith’s Prophetic Dreams (not necessarily her own) or using the Gift of Insight. This bonus may apply to other appropriate
    powers or abilities at the Storyteller’s discretion.
    Additionally, the physical theatre of these readings can place social or religious pressures on those they relate to. After consulting the runestones on a given subject, treat onlookers’ Impression of you as one step better while convincing them of your prophecy, whether your assessment is genuine or not.
    Drawback: While the use of this Merit does not constitute seidr, it can draw suspicion of such practices. Using it in a predominantly Christian environment can provoke accusations of sorcery and demon-worship.
    Now problem is that Gift of Insight is not very much 'I will fortel your future' - it's much more like vampires Auspex Discipline - and to use classical 'I will cast a runes to see will of the gods' scene character need to be Cathalith to have Prophetic Dreams.

Am I missing something? Maybe some official WtF 2E power that character could take?

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I think you need to reread the Gift of Insight (especially the Glory Honor, and Wisdom Facets), and the Rune Caster description that says the Cahalith dreams don't have to be the Rune Caster's own.

Rune Caster (as it applies to Uratha-specific powers) is less about reading the future years from now, and more about knowing what's going to happen soon and making the best choices.

Writer. Developer. WoD | CofD | The Trinity Continuum 19 books and counting...

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
      Rune Caster (as it applies to Uratha-specific powers) is less about reading the future years from now, and more about knowing what's going to happen soon and making the best choices.
      I see from Facets you pointed too as I re-read them now - I will better advise player when to use Runes then with RAW.

But on last session we wanted to recreate 'ominous prophecy of Volva' scene in play, like from 13th Warrior - seems appropriate to character having Merit like Rune Caster, but mechanics not working with this idea.

Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-05-2017, 03:15 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
      X