No announcement yet.

A ridiculus small question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's honestly nothing wrong with allowing a character boxed out with full aggravated to be in 'mortal wound' state where they can give a dying speech or whatnot, subject to the context, the injuries suffered, and the specific intent behind what has befallen them - obviously a character who has been literally decapitated by a foe determined to stop them passing on their vital knowledge is a slightly different situation.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

You're saying Werewolve heads can't survive long enough for one last bite, Princess Mononoke-style?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I think there was a Gift for that in first edition (like an extra round to act after death if you succeed on a roll, maximum whatever Renown in turns) but just having it be story fiat sounds better.

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
          There's honestly nothing wrong with allowing a character boxed out with full aggravated to be in 'mortal wound' state where they can give a dying speech or whatnot, subject to the context, the injuries suffered, and the specific intent behind what has befallen them - obviously a character who has been literally decapitated by a foe determined to stop them passing on their vital knowledge is a slightly different situation.
          Yeah I mean this is expressly in "stuff happening to NPCs" territory with the specifics of my situation and you can coach that as needed to accomplish the dramatic action. There are things, powers and situations that even very powerful uratha don't come back from. That they *shouldn't* come back from, because the emotional resonance of passing on could be more important than their lives, even.

Similarly, if an uratha needs to take one last heroic or villainous action before expiring? Let 'em.

So, given the basic healing capabilities, I guess I'll go with "death through obvious massive trauma" as applied by BBEG, and then make dramatic death words more in line with "oh god how are you still conscious!?" Thanks folks!

(Princess Mononoke is still my model for the Shadow/Border Marches. Now realize that the little mouth-dot on the rattleheads is where they suck up [forest] essence. Like tiny, carnivorous vacuums....)

--Khanwulf

PS edit: even a decapitated head could still take a few rounds to mouth out something important for lip-readers. They're still alive and conscious for a little bit, until the brain loses consciousness from lack of blood. Look up stories from the French Revolution if you want something along these lines....
          Last edited by Khanwulf; 11-06-2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

No doubt there's a spirit of the last words of slain werewolves.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
              No doubt there's a spirit of the last words of slain werewolves.

Now that would be an interesting Lodge patron....

Edit:
              Reapers, Carrion Crows--Uratha sworn to Ending of Days in the Lodge of the Last Breath--hunt the last moments of the scions of Father Wolf--be they Forsaken or Pure, and consume them. They believe that upon the harsh line of separation between life and death there exists true purity and the summation of their father's law and existence. They claim that in fact his death was necessary and inevitable in order to fulfill his Law, rather than pursue it as Father Wolf did during life. Similarly, the Hunt exists as a process in each Uratha but a product in their last moment.

Reapers collect that product, consume it, and carry it back to their fellows and patron to be shared in a glorious feast of essence, food, story and song that ends with the participants vomiting out their libations before the totem--adding a new facet to its bulk. Uratha being half-human, the euphoric results of these events are as often or not enthusiastic pairings, and some Reapers swear resulting children carry the reincarnated souls of their collected subjects.

Ending of Days grants lodge members the ability to sense the probable impending death of werewolves within a radius dependent on Primal Urge, and gifts them the power to ritualistically consume their last moment. What this actually means tends to vary by Uratha and their auspice, with some leaping on the flickering light of fading life and eating the victim "alive", others selecting only the brain or heart to consume as the last breath passes, some stalking the moment in Shadow and sucking up the burst of Essence released in a soul's passing, and others simply witnessing the last moment and words of the dying.

The appearance of a Carrion Crow is not, as you might suppose, an auspicious omen, though some packs welcome them on their hunts as a sign that either one of them will live in glory or their werewolf prey is doomed. Reapers are, however, bound by their own sacred hunt not to intervene and that frequently causes tension where one more set of claws could have tilted fate toward life. Others claim that Reapers thwarted from the final moments of their target have been quite willing to finish things themselves, and blame them for murdering the People; there may be some truths in that rumor, since the predictive ability they hold is not absolute--just probable.

What does Ending of Days do with all the death-moments its lodge collects? No one really knows, but some suspect that within its great, serpentine form each facet added scale-like brings the massive spirit closer to... something else? They lack the experience to say, and no one has kept records of what the little snake-ring fetishes they carry on behalf of their patron might actually mean.

--Khanwulf
              Last edited by Khanwulf; 11-07-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X