No announcement yet.

Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another teaser for Shunned - this time the opening paragraphs of the Devourers!

The Culling: Ghost Wolf Devourers

At the turn of the 21st century, a nightmare from stories poured into reality. The so-called Cull erupted in Russian and Chinese territories in an orgy of brutality and cannibalistic transgression. They plucked secrets from gristle and viscera, wielding incredible power torn from the corpses of their victims. The Cull swore allegiance to no Tribe and fought Pure and Forsaken alike. In a scant few years since, they have hauled themselves up to become a major faction in the region, pursuing a relentless assault that is only strengthened by each victim they tear apart and consume. They rally under a mad philosophy of the winnowing of the People. There are too many werewolves, they say, the natural force of predation run wild and weak. Like Father Wolf, the Uratha of today have stumbled from greatness through the spreading of their Essence. If balance is to be restored, many must be culled.

Until the Cull, most werewolves knew little of devourers. Walking a blood-drenched path to profane enlightenment by tearing divinity from the entrails of their fellows, these cannibal witches hail from ancient practices that had dwindled to almost nothing in the present day. A scant few practitioners persisted, scattered across the world and passing the sinister rite down to trusted students. Each of the traditional devourers is an iron-willed sorcerer of flesh and spirit, their soul carved in mimicry of the hunger that drives spirits to consume each other.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• Have I ever mentioned that I love cannibalistic black magic? I utterly adore cannibalistic black magic.

Comment

• Devourers are exactly what I was hoping for! Mimics seem extremely cool as well.

Comment

• How exciting.

Comment

• We don't want Ghost Wolves having all the werewolf-devouring fun, do we? Here's an excerpt from one of the new Bale Hounds Maeljin:

The servants of Lakh’ma make even other Bale Hounds uneasy, for they are the eaters of werewolves. Where every Uratha lives with the temptation to eat the flesh of humans, wolves, and werewolves for power, they work to resist for the sake of the balance of their own souls. Those who follow Lakh’ma revel in feasting on the forbidden meats. Whenever possible, the successful hunts ends with the Bale Hound drinking the blood of the fallen and stripping the flesh from their bones.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
            WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

• Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
              Bale Hounds are no longer divided up by their allegiance to Maeljin dedicated to corruption of human values (ie the Vices Plus Two of the old approach) - instead, they're defined by the corruption of particular *Uratha* values.
              Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

The servants of Lakh’ma make even other Bale Hounds uneasy, for they are the eaters of werewolves. Where every Uratha lives with the temptation to eat the flesh of humans, wolves, and werewolves for power, they work to resist for the sake of the balance of their own souls. Those who follow Lakh’ma revel in feasting on the forbidden meats. Whenever possible, the successful hunts ends with the Bale Hound drinking the blood of the fallen and stripping the flesh from their bones.
              ​So Maelijn of Hunger ( Or Gluttony ) we have left in 2E - even if name changed from Baalphegor to Lakh’ma. Hm...

Seeing as 'Not Starving' is not Renown of Uratha - I have a question then:

I'm guessing well that 2E Bale Hounds are about dedicating to break particular Oath of Moon ( and possible Oath of Urfarah ) - so Hounds of Lakh’ma are breaking Nu Hu Uzu Eren — Do Not Eat The Flesh Of Man Or Wolf? And others Bale Hounds are breaking other Oaths?

LGBT+ in CoD games
              Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
              Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
              Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
              My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

• Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                ​​So Maelijn of Hunger ( Or Gluttony ) we have left in 2E - even if name changed from Baalphegor to Lakh’ma.
                I can see how you've reached that conclusion, but nope.
                Edit: It's not a name change, no.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                ​​
                I'm guessing well that 2E Bale Hounds are about dedicating to break particular Oath of Moon ( and possible Oath of Urfarah ) - so Hounds of Lakh’ma are breaking Nu Hu Uzu Eren — Do Not Eat The Flesh Of Man Or Wolf? And others Bale Hounds are breaking other Oaths?
                Not quite, no.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
                WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

• If there's no focus on 7+2 sins then Baalphegor and the others are unlikely to have any relevance.
                  Lakh'ma seems to be either a (collection of) Maeljin, or a more abstract concept. If the Bale Hounds are divided by Renown (each category of Bale Hounds trying to corrupt a specific Renown) then Lakh'ma could represent/be anti-Purity.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• It seems more like there are many more maeljin in 2e than in 1e- I assume we still have the big 9, but they are much more detach (and less relevant) than those who actively work to disrupt the lives of the specific supernatural monster in question (like, instead of nine gods of sin, you have a full pantheon of evil, with the first nine serving as either mortal or general evils, while other demon gods work to corrupt other supernatural beings)

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Having separate "choirs" of evils for separate types of supernatural creatures seems weird to me. I'd rather have that Infernal demons focus on inverting their victims' held virtues, which would explain why Bale Hounds are naturally defined by Uratha values without having specific werewolf demons. And wouldn't put a divide between Bale Hounds and Wound-spirits since Uratha and spirits have wildly different values to corrupt.
                      Or Maeljin might be completely separate from Inferno, which would be fine by me.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                        Not quite, no.
                        So maybe 2E Bale Hounds are about breaking ANY Ban Uratha takes and corrupting them? Oaths of Moon are example, Tribal Vows would also be another. I could also see then Bale Hounds that try to undermine Packs or Lodges Totems, to breaking their Bans - and so corrupting Totems themselves for Maeljinns...
                        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-09-2018, 10:31 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games
                        Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                        Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                        Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                        My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

• Note: Forsaken Tribal vows are a part of the Oath of the Moon. A specific part, but a part nonetheless.

Comment

• Forsaken's moongifts are now (2nd edition) pretty powerful and a huge advantage for the forsaken.

The gifts of the Anshega (blood, agony, hunger etc.) will be more powerful than the avarage shadow gifts ?

-'' When the winds howl and the Storms rage, where will you run?''-

Comment

• Originally posted by Helur View Post

The gifts of the Anshega (blood, agony, hunger etc.) will be more powerful than the avarage shadow gifts ?
                              No; the new Gifts are Shadow Gifts, and are available to all Uratha in the same way as any other Shadow Gifts - the Pure Tribes just possess affinity for them.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post

We're reviewing the Geryo mechanics at the moment so I'll let you know the answer once we've finished nailing everything down
                                anything new to report on this front?

Comment

Working...
                                X