Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about getting a Night Horrors book that's focused, primarily, on other werewolves, but the Pure and Bale Hounds need some love.
    The first chapter of the first one was all about werewolves. And a lot of people seem to think Ghost Wolf means 'werewolves with all the benefits of Forsaken but not tied down by the tribes,' when it's actually more distant than that and they tend to round out the whole freakshow between Forsaken and Pure and outside of both, like those in the Temple of Apollo. More enemies would be great, but once these guys are out we have Hosts, Claimed, and Spirits, which seems like they would fit in their own book.

    Of course, that does require the book to be made and all.

    EDIT: And if Secrets of the Tribes is going to be a thing, maybe we'd get some neat updates or looks on their favoured prey and their preferred strategies of engaging in Siskur-Dah.
    Based on every other 'Secrets of' I'm guessing it will be mostly in-character stuff with a few pages of mechanics in the back. I really wouldn't expect huge new changes to material there but it would certainly be a good way to show off things like tribal initiations, how tribes deal with their prey differently and how they deal with their non-sacred prey when its an issue, and so forth.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by nofather View Post

      The first chapter of the first one was all about werewolves. And a lot of people seem to think Ghost Wolf means 'werewolves with all the benefits of Forsaken but not tied down by the tribes,' when it's actually more distant than that and they tend to round out the whole freakshow between Forsaken and Pure and outside of both, like those in the Temple of Apollo. More enemies would be great, but once these guys are out we have Hosts, Claimed, and Spirits, which seems like they would fit in their own book.

      Of course, that does require the book to be made and all.
      That is a very good point. I did like the Temple of Apollo quite a bit, and if I had to hazard a guess I imagine the Lodge of the Field would be a Ghost Wolf Lodge too. Thinking about it that way, you could have a lot of opportunity for very weird, but also very cool, werewolf societies going on and that's always neat.

      Originally posted by nofather View Post
      Based on every other 'Secrets of' I'm guessing it will be mostly in-character stuff with a few pages of mechanics in the back. I really wouldn't expect huge new changes to material there but it would certainly be a good way to show off things like tribal initiations, how tribes deal with their prey differently and how they deal with their non-sacred prey when its an issue, and so forth.
      If it's anything like Secrets of the Covenants, I'd be good with that. The fluff there really helped me figure out the mindset of some of the Covenants and helped emphasize them as philosophies as opposed to organizations. The Carthian chapter, in particular, did a really good job at showing the different faces of that Covenant, while the Invictus chapter did a good job of presenting them as something a little more interesting than "The Establishment".


      My Homebrew Hub

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Arcanist View Post

        That is a very good point. I did like the Temple of Apollo quite a bit, and if I had to hazard a guess I imagine the Lodge of the Field would be a Ghost Wolf Lodge too. Thinking about it that way, you could have a lot of opportunity for very weird, but also very cool, werewolf societies going on and that's always neat.

        [COLOR=#252C2F][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px]

        If it's anything like Secrets of the Covenants, I'd be good with that. The fluff there really helped me figure out the mindset of some of the Covenants and helped emphasize them as philosophies as opposed to organizations. The Carthian chapter, in particular, did a really good job at showing the different faces of that Covenant, while the Invictus chapter did a good job of presenting them as something a little more interesting than "The Establishment".
        That's exactly why I'm excited to see Ghost Wolves here. I love the Lodge of the Fields and Temple of Apollo and hope this fleshes them out. And I hope we get some type of stats for Lycon-Ur plus art. The ones Chris posted online are fucking scary!


        Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

        CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
          I'm not sure how I feel about getting a Night Horrors book that's focused, primarily, on other werewolves, but the Pure and Bale Hounds need some love. The update to the Pure in Forsaken By Rome was very nice, but it doesn't give them any new Shadow Gifts or Wolf Gifts, which would have been interesting to see. Also, if we get Bale Hounds updated, we might get to see what an Infernal/Lower Depths Ephemeral Being looks like, even if it's just a template the way Abyssal Being is now.

          EDIT: And if Secrets of the Tribes is going to be a thing, maybe we'd get some neat updates or looks on their favoured prey and their preferred strategies of engaging in Siskur-Dah.
          I think its likely that we will get servants and allies of the Ghost Wolves, Balehounds, and Pure.

          Comment


          • #20
            As Rich mentioned it at GenCon, I figured I should make it public.

            TL; DR: Yes, I'm not developer any more. No, it's not to do with one line against the other. It's all to do with the amount of work at my day-job.


            --
            Stew Wilson
            Werewolf Developer
            My games. Buy them.
            The maturity of the developer might go down as well as up. Bum. Willy. Fart. Nietzche.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
              This poor, maligned, abandoned gameline! Those evil devs starving it of content!

              I kid, I kid. Very surprised and excited to see Ghost Wolves rolled up in this; I've always liked them more than the Tribes.
              Yup, its suffering from malnutrition that only a antagonist gallery can rectify.

              But when you look at Ghost Wolves, unless you're a player portraying one... the games almost go out of their way to portray the poor misguided Ghost Wolves as a horrible problem just waiting to happen, there can be no other way really.

              From the Lodge of the Field to Bale Hounds to the Deceiver Lune.. the sad fact is that Ghost Wolves have endless potential to be exploited and warped into unwitting antagonists... and I love it.
              Last edited by Korogra; 08-19-2017, 11:02 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                I don't think Bale Hounds count as Ghost Wolves do they?

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'm looking forward to seeing what the Bale Hounds perferred Prey is.

                  Anyone want to guess what a Bale Hound of Lust preferred prey is? Hehehehe. Quadmire the Werewolf.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                    I don't think Bale Hounds count as Ghost Wolves do they?
                    If you run them as a Lodge, they technically come from every tribe, though some are undoubtedly Ghost Wolves.

                    If you run them as a Tribe well.. they are a tribe, though they will still infiltrate the other factions just the same.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Ghost Wolves are werewolves who haven't joined up with one of the five tribes, but also aren't members of the Pure.

                      Some tend towards the Forsaken tribes, like the Eaters of the Dead who were trying to become a new Forsaken tribe. But most are completely on their own, maybe they don't know about the tribes, or reject them, maybe they've been suborned by another entity like Apollo, maybe they're part of some strange personality cult like the Field of Dogs, or they're just outside of everything and have their own agenda, like the Cull. Werewolves who aren't a part of something bigger, who don't get the education and support of the tribes, tend to become influenced by strange entities that know them better than they know themselves.

                      As mentioned, a lot of people look at Ghost Wolves as 'Forsaken, but without any restrictions.' When in actuality they're the unknown quantities. This is why they're treated with distrust. Sure maybe they just don't like the tribe thing, but it's also possible, even more possible, that they work for a soul-stealing abomination and are just trying to get close to your pack.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        They called themselves the 9th tribe so I'm inclined to think of them as a tribe not Ghost Wolves.

                        One thing that would be interesting is if the Bale Hound section has rules for Maeljin and Bale Hound corrupted Wolf Blooded (Bale Blooded?)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          Ghost Wolves are werewolves who haven't joined up with one of the five tribes, but also aren't members of the Pure.

                          Some tend towards the Forsaken tribes, like the Eaters of the Dead who were trying to become a new Forsaken tribe. But most are completely on their own, maybe they don't know about the tribes, or reject them, maybe they've been suborned by another entity like Apollo, maybe they're part of some strange personality cult like the Field of Dogs, or they're just outside of everything and have their own agenda, like the Cull. Werewolves who aren't a part of something bigger, who don't get the education and support of the tribes, tend to become influenced by strange entities that know them better than they know themselves.

                          As mentioned, a lot of people look at Ghost Wolves as 'Forsaken, but without any restrictions.' When in actuality they're the unknown quantities. This is why they're treated with distrust. Sure maybe they just don't like the tribe thing, but it's also possible, even more possible, that they work for a soul-stealing abomination and are just trying to get close to your pack.
                          Right. Why would I swear not to eat people when they're totally fucking delicious?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                            They called themselves the 9th tribe so I'm inclined to think of them as a tribe not Ghost Wolves.
                            They were given three different options to play, only one of them was as the ninth tribe. If you played them as lodges or using the Dark Pantheism option, they would be ghost wolves.

                            I'm hoping we get a mix of them this time around, one can have a Ninth Tribe following Viruhk-Ur, and other lodges following the Maeljin.

                            It's all in the last chapter of Blasphemies, a great book I suggest you pick up.
                            Last edited by nofather; 08-19-2017, 03:25 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I am wondering how the new rules would interact with Bale hounds. In 1st edition they had a fetish and rite to allows them to fake harmony 5 but now?

                              I am wondering whats the use of flayed lunes now? In 1st they taught you the secret gifts of "Tainted moon" and the not so secret "Eclipse gifts" but from what the former Dev of Werewolf have stated there is no more "x tribe only gifts" so this opens the question about what their use.

                              Considering that the Bale hounds can pretend to be other tribes, meaning the can lie to spirits about their "patron", then it would be weird if all the flayed lunes did was teach balehounds their lunar gifts.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Their rite let Soulless Wolf take their Harmony loss instead of them. It's still something that can be used now, to keep them at Harmony 5 when having Breaking Points left and right.

                                Tainted Moon gifts weren't tribe only, they were just hard to get. Technically other people can get flayed lunes, they're just not likely to, the Pure because they hate lunes, the Forsaken because they like them. Right now it would likely just be an alternative set of Moon Gifts, like Screaming Moon.. Incidentally the Eclipse gifts weren't tribal only and weren't taught by flayed lunes, 'The Bale Hounds don't have a monopoly on the concept of darkness or shadows.'

                                They couldn't necessarily pretend to be members of other tribes, especially with the abundance of 'tell me about this target' powers.
                                Last edited by nofather; 08-19-2017, 05:40 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X