No announcement yet.

Eclipses and their ramifications regarding the Hisil, its inhabitants, et al

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipses and their ramifications regarding the Hisil, its inhabitants, et al

Title was too long. There's Solar, Lunar, Stellar Eclipses, as mentioned in books. Potentially more through the supernatural? Some sort of Hisil-only event? Perhaps a ghost moon?

So, today North America got a nice solar eclipse, and in the world of Werewolf the Hiriraka have been born. The Hiriraka, along with other auspices, were introduced in Signs of the Moon and offer alternative auspices for those who have had their First Change under them.

Helios' aspect has risen in importance to werewolves with second edition, him effectively shoving everything down during the sun and keeping the Hisil asleep while potentially encouraging the spirits that can to sneak out of his light by hijacking human bodies. He hasn't forgiven the Uratha for killing his sister's boyfriend, or brother's girlfriend, or sister's girlfriend or what have you. The Helions share these feelings, giving werewolves another antagonist group.

So for the purposes of setting, what kind of things do you think should or would happen in a solar eclipse? And to expanding that outward, in any sort of eclipse. We've been told that during a Lunar eclipse, 'Luna is blind,' allowing things to be done without her knowing. And during a Stellar Eclipse, who knows what happens, this is when a star is eclipsed by the moon, apparently beforehand there might be a 'flash' from the star. Is the spirit of said star focusing some energy through Luna? Is there some absence in werewolves born in this occurrence? Is this a good time to hunt down that star spirit that's been stranded in your hunting ground and turning people into star zombies? During a solar eclipse, are helions weakened? Are they fair game? Are lunes going to help a battle against them in wild but brief abandon?
    Last edited by nofather; 08-21-2017, 03:24 PM.

I've a pretty good grasp on solar and lunar eclipses, but not actually in stellar ones.

Couple of things that could happen during and following solar eclipses:

1) Helions go blind; Fire spirits and similarly attuned predators would go out of their way to eat them; thing is, Eclipses are pretty easy to predict, and Helions would procure a kind of safe haven. Places that Aren't are a normal pick, which is denoted by the appearance of a new ecosystem within the normal shadow's ecosystem, which throws balance into the blender. Uratha also have a stake in hunting Helions not only for the imbalance such an event causes, but because easy Helion prey mean easy Helion Gifts. And most Shadowy denizens generally don't like Helions for their pesky, restricting light.

2) The natural state of the Shadow, for obvious reasons, is cloaked in darkness: the most primordial spirits are the void ones. The confluence between Luna and Helios may put a dent in the Warden's Moons defenses, allowing traveling void spirits (as alien as Idigam but the name doesn't fit, as they were never incarcerated in the Moon) passage into our world. There can be prophecies regarding this.

3) I've heard a rumor about Trump having been born during a solar eclipse. Do we need more evidence of his status as Anti-Christ?

Comment

Heh, nice, I like those. I tend to do Helions as war-like and imperious so them holed up in a fortress of sorts fits.

I like the idea of the stellar eclipses. I suppose doing more with it would require assigning some meaning to the stars, or finding existing ones. I had some stellar influence unknowingly with my character. And I'm happy to have found out that our werewolf game is starting back up again.

The Temple of Apollo would surely do something, perhaps go on some wild hunt for souls in fear that otherwise their god-wolf might starve and go away.

Comment

Something interesting to play with regarding solar eclipses specifically is how localized they are. Like, pretty much all of North America may have experienced some degree of solar eclipsing today, but you had to be within a pretty narrow band to have experienced totality. And different points along the path of totality experienced it at different times. From a zoomed-out perspective, it'd look like a giant anti-spotlight panning across the continent. You could consider the moon's shadow to count as night time for the purposes of Reaching, but that's a little underwhelming. I kind of like the idea of treating it as a locus. Like a roaming hole in the gauntlet.

I have no idea what whoever wrote that section was talking about with stellar eclipses... Like, the moon passes in front of stars all the time, but I have never heard of an apparent flash from the stars in question that are supposed to mark a lunar occultation as significant enough to count for the Auspice... Unless they're meaning to refer to the star appearing to flicker on and off like in a grazing lunar occultation, but those are extremely localized, because whether or not a given lunar mountain passes in front of a star from your perspective will be highly dependent on the angle you're looking at it from. I guess that's why Signs of the Moon says it's so rare? I don't know.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

The only thing I've seen about the flashes is, apparently, if you catch it at the right angle, the star will sort of 'skim' along the edge of the moon, and be blocked out and come into light several times due to lunar mountains.
          Originally posted by Space.com
          The southern limit of the occultation, where Antares just grazes the Moon's limb, slices through Mexico's Baja California Sur and a swath of Mexico's Pacific coast. For lucky viewers within the graze path, only a few miles wide, the fiery red star may flash in and out of sight several times as it is clipped by lunar mountains.
          But maybe it's just a Hisil thing.

Regarding a moving locus, maybe the beshilu could take advantage. Locus' being thin points in the Gauntlet they'd probably find it easier to pierce the barrier if they had a big enough swarm.
          Last edited by nofather; 08-22-2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            The only thing I've seen about the flashes is, apparently, if you catch it at the right angle, the star will sort of 'skim' along the edge of the moon, and be blocked out and come into light several times due to lunar mountains.
            Yeah, that's a grazing lunar occultation. Only thing is, like the quote says, the graze path is only a few miles wide, and people along that path will see different flickering patterns. So does it only become your Auspice if you're within the right few mile path at the time it's going on when you First Change? That would make it extremely rare.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            Regarding a moving locus, maybe the beshilu could take advantage. Locus' being thin points in the Gauntlet they'd probably find it easier to pierce the barrier if they had a big enough swarm.
            I like that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              Something interesting to play with regarding solar eclipses specifically is how localized they are. Like, pretty much all of North America may have experienced some degree of solar eclipsing today, but you had to be within a pretty narrow band to have experienced totality. And different points along the path of totality experienced it at different times. From a zoomed-out perspective, it'd look like a giant anti-spotlight panning across the continent. You could consider the moon's shadow to count as night time for the purposes of Reaching, but that's a little underwhelming. I kind of like the idea of treating it as a locus. Like a roaming hole in the gauntlet.
              Also worth pointing out that while the partial eclipse could have an effect spirits, actually seeing a partial eclipse without a specialized filter or lens is practically impossible. If you don't know that eclipse was going on, you probably wouldn't realize it was happening because the sun produces so much goddamn light. We reached about 81% coverage in Calgary yesterday, and even at the height of the eclipse, which was a good hour and a half in, I had people asking me if it had started. The level of ambient light hadn't really changed, so there was no easy indicator that something special was going on.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                Also worth pointing out that while the partial eclipse could have an effect spirits, actually seeing a partial eclipse without a specialized filter or lens is practically impossible. If you don't know that eclipse was going on, you probably wouldn't realize it was happening because the sun produces so much goddamn light. We reached about 81% coverage in Calgary yesterday, and even at the height of the eclipse, which was a good hour and a half in, I had people asking me if it had started. The level of ambient light hadn't really changed, so there was no easy indicator that something special was going on.
                Interesting. At 97% we could see a very noticeable dip in ambient light. At peak, it was like early dusk in the middle of the day.

Comment

Yeah we had that too and I'm pretty sure we weren't that covered. Werewolves have better senses than I, though, and healing so the damage to their eyes would probably regenerate.

But they do happen often, too, and werewolves are capable of traveling across oceans in a matter of hours, so it's entirely possible to have a group of them who follow these things. They could do the same with Lunar Eclipses, whether to study what goes on or to get away with stuff without Luna knowing, or just hunt down an Eclipse spirit for the nice Gift.

Comment

I have no idea what whoever wrote that section was talking about with stellar eclipses... Like, the moon passes in front of stars all the time, but I have never heard of an apparent flash from the stars in question that are supposed to mark a lunar occultation as significant enough to count for the Auspice... Unless they're meaning to refer to the star appearing to flicker on and off like in a grazing lunar occultation, but those are extremely localized, because whether or not a given lunar mountain passes in front of a star from your perspective will be highly dependent on the angle you're looking at it from. I guess that's why Signs of the Moon says it's so rare? I don't know.
                    What's up with that? You have to change while in view of a particular Moon mountain covering a particular constellation?

Comment

Light from distant stars skimming off the surface of the moon.

Comment

Interesting. At 97% we could see a very noticeable dip in ambient light. At peak, it was like early dusk in the middle of the day.

I was at 92% and it got a bit dimmer and orangish out, and the temp went down a bit, but it stayed pretty early dusk. Down where it hit totality it was practically night though, i think those last few percentages matter a huge amount. Under 90% would be hard to tell at all.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
                          I was at 92% and it got a bit dimmer and orangish out, and the temp went down a bit, but it stayed pretty early dusk. Down where it hit totality it was practically night though, i think those last few percentages matter a huge amount. Under 90% would be hard to tell at all.
                          Indeed. And even at 99% it's brighter than in the Zone of totalitarity, which you can see like a wall of night, with the wind rushing towards it thanks to the temperature difference messing with the air pressure. There's no way that doesn't do crazy shit to the hisil.

Comment

Working...
                          X