[2E] Uratha & teleportation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Uratha & teleportation

Is it possibile for werewolves to teleport from half of continent to their Pack's Hunting Grounds - and back, to the wilderness? I ask as I want to send PCs Pack in Viking Era on epic quest to find Constantinopol for Swedes in 9th century. As they need to travel half of Asia continent, they would leave their Hunting Grounds for YEARS - decades even. But I would, from time to time to, for them to ba able to return to home, on one or two stories about their local terrains.

Telling them 'you must return to your home Territories and do all the travel once more' - sounds as too punishing for players, jest so I could run 'local' story.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-09-2018, 04:10 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

You could always take a page out of Apocalypse and have them discover a Moon Bridge near Constantinople that allows for quicker travel through the Hisil if you want to combine the two game types. A far-reaching quest and home territory don't exactly mesh well together.

Comment

You can make up some reason, but it sounds more like they're going to have to make a choice. If you leave your territory on an epic quest across the continent for years it's not really your territory anymore.

An alternative would be to let them play members of the pack left behind to try and tend it. The Pack has a section on troupe play.

Comment

Do not remember what are Moon Bridges from Apocalypse - could you describe them more?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Basically a sort of portal that werewolves could call down to transport them between caerns.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            You can make up some reason, but it sounds more like they're going to have to make a choice. If you leave your territory on an epic quest across the continent for years it's not really your territory anymore.

An alternative would be to let them play members of the pack left behind to try and tend it. The Pack has a section on troupe play.
            There's also the option of porting the Open Moon Gate and Forge Lunar Road from War Against the Pure and/or otherwise preparing for the journey by seeking out spirits of travel and such for Gifts and rites, but yeah, on a timescale of years it's hard to conceivably hold onto your territory from several countries away without accounting for a split in the pack between defense and scouting.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Read sections of it in W20 so got a grasp of Moon Bridges idea. Now, how could this work in Forsaken if implanted? Caerns are Apocalypse powerful Loci, if I remember correctly. Creating Moon Bridge would be a Rite - I would put on the Pack Rite, as most Locus centered Rites are those.

It could work with our Ithaeur PC is pristes in Temple at Uppsala. On this long journey, she could, from time to time, open Moon Bridge back to Temple.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                There's also the option of porting the Open Moon Gate and Forge Lunar Road from War Against the Pure and/or otherwise preparing for the journey by seeking out spirits of travel and such for Gifts and rites.
                Oh, so there ARE Moon Bridges in Forsaken canon. Will check War Against the Pure then.
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-09-2018, 04:12 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

There's also the option of porting the Open Moon Gate and Forge Lunar Road from War Against the Pure and/or otherwise preparing for the journey by seeking out spirits of travel and such for Gifts and rites, but yeah, on a timescale of years it's hard to conceivably hold onto your territory from several countries away without accounting for a split in the pack between defense and scouting.
                  Similar to the Elodoth body-transplant gift there's a range problem. Successes grant you 20 miles, and it's 1334 miles from Uppsala, which I think is where wyrdhamster's game is taking place, to Constantinople, requiring around 166 successes. And that's with a locus and ritemaster at each end preparing the road, then exchanging the touchstones within 3 days. I guess you could say it's always been there, though.

The deals with travel spirits might fit but that's the equivalent of making something up.

I think there's a lodge of Doors that theorized some portal-dimension everywhere, too, but again, making something up.

wyrdhamster A lot of the game, all these games, weighs heavily on making things up, granted, but at a certain point you should ask why. And of course, there's a reason troupe play as introduced here, it seems like the best way to handle it.
                  Last edited by nofather; 09-04-2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

There was also a published rank 5 fetish that transported you back to a given attuned sacred place within it (Meninna), from Tribes of the Moon.

Comment

I think there's a lodge of Doors that theorized some portal-dimension everywhere, too, but again, making something up.
                      Originally posted by Malus View Post
                      There was also a published rank 5 fetish that transported you back to a given attuned sacred place within it (Meninna), from Tribes of the Moon.
                      …I'm not sure why I only just now remembered that Hidden Path is a published core rite in 2e and can seriously help with the longer overland stretches.

That could, at the very least, help cut down the projected away term from the full extent of "possibly decades."

Comment

Hidden Path's restriction forces you to go by land. The normal, modern routes pass across the sea but I think you can go by land, but it extends it to ~5000 miles, since you have to go up the coast of Sweden.

It is doable, though.
                        Last edited by nofather; 09-04-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Hidden Path's restriction forces you to go by land. The normal, modern routes pass across the sea but I think you can go by land, but it extends it to ~5000 miles, since you have to go up the coast of Sweden.
                          The overland pass through central Europe is the stretch most helped by Hidden Path, yeah, and the sea voyage is easily one of the bigger complicating factors for a faster route.

Absent making something out of whole cloth the only other options that spring to mind involve borrowing the shortcuts of other splats — Awakened co-location and Begotten Chamber-hopping are the most obvious, but changeling Hedge-access and the Sepulchral Gateway ceremony of the Bound might also be viable, any of which could conceivably be transplanted in variant form to a suitably powerful spirit.

In any case, your best bets outside of crossover and homebrew all amount to fairly high-level tricks that would probably call for leveraging an Incarna or two; this scenario is basically built to require a plot device if you want the same characters free to quickly move from coast to coast before the advent of manned flight.

Comment

To show better how the travel would go...

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            For better showing how Vikings come to Byzantine Empire - two nice maps I found.

Trade routes of the Vikings with Ladoga and Miklagarðr ("the great city", the Old Norse name for Constantinople).

Article more on the Vikings expansion on Eastern Europe and Byzantium relations with them

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Now to analyze proposed powers, I will quote them from sourcebooks…

Hidden Path from WtF 2E corebook:

Success: The ritemaster nominates a specific destination. All participants can follow a hidden path, one that worms its way between Flesh and Shadow and that hurries along hidden routes and deserted streets. As long as the pack follows this path, it will take only a tenth of the time it normally would to reach the destination on foot, and it will evade mundane barriers and attempts at interception. The destination must be reachable via land alone; the path will not cross the sea or major bodies of water. If at any point any of the participants leave the path, the rite’s effects end.
                              Beside being limited only to Hunters in Darkness ( which member we do not have member in Viking times Pack), the one tenth of the time is not something truly amazing. It’s good for watching particular Territory, but not on something like this trans-continental journey. Still, good to know that there is thing like this.

Now, Rites from War Against Pure

Open the Moon Gate (•••)
                              This rite opens a previously prepared lunar road between two loci. This rite can only be performed in the Hisil. Lunar roads are secretive tunnels within the Shadow. Their existence is never obvious, and even spirits or other supernaturals who have some reason to suspect the existence of Moon Gates have an incredibly difficult time detecting them when in use. (The negative modifier is equal to the combined ratings of the two loci, maximum –5.) This also affords safety to the Uratha, as Luna protects her servants from attack while using them. Finally, and most importantly to her crusaders, Moon Gates are fast, often allowing the Forsaken to travel much more quickly between loci than modern transportation could hope to. In this way, crusaders do not have to outnumber all of their foes when they are able to mass enough forces at critical points and join together to fight those greater than a single pack.

The gateway stays open for a number of turns equal to the amount of Essence contributed to the rite. The ritemaster does not have to journey along the lunar road, and any who enter are carried to the end.

Performing the Rite: The ritualist must hold a pathstone dedicated to the destination loci. She simply howls to the appropriate Lunar Choir to guide them to the destination. If successful, the gate opens, and any Forsaken who enter are sent to their destination.

When the rite is successful, the twin of the path-stone (at the other end) begins to send out a preset alarm —usually something rather subtle, such as the call of an insect.

Dice Pool: Harmony
                              Action: Instant

Roll Results
                              Dramatic Failure: The rite fails, and the set of pathstones is ruined.
                              Failure: The rite fails.
                              Success: A Lunar Road — a tunnel of silvery light — opens up in front of the ritemaster, allowing all who enter to traverse the Shadow quickly and safely. The normal amount of time it would take to travel between the loci is cut in half for each success generated (halved, quartered, eighthed, etc.).
                              Exceptional Success: Traveling on the lunar road takes next to no time. The characters arrive one minute after departure.
                              Forge Lunar Road (••••)
                              This rite links two loci, allowing the users of the Open Moon Gate rite to safely and quickly travel between the two. This rite is considered a holy blessing from Luna herself. A locus may have two lunar roads per rating.

Performing the Rite: While only one ritemaster need perform the ritual, this rite calls for the cooperation of two to prepare. First, the two must create touchstones at their loci, then exchange them. At this point, the ritemasters also agree upon the warning alarm, some sensory clue that the gateway is being opened from the other side. These touchstones are placed within the loci’s area of influence during the ritual, which must be completed before the Essence within them fades (one to three days). When the ritual is successfully completed, the touchstones become pathstones, mystic keys to the other locus. If they are ever removed, the lunar road is broken, and the ritual must be repeated. While most often stone, similar to touchstones themselves, pathstones can be composed of different substances, such as wood, skulls or even plastic and silicon.

Dice Pool: Harmony
                              Action: Extended (one success is needed for each 20 miles [round up] separating the loci; each roll represents five minutes)

Roll Results
                              Dramatic Failure: All accumulated successes are lost.
                              Failure: No successes are added.
                              Success: Successes are added to the total. Once the total is reached (see above), the road is forged.
                              Exceptional Success: The pathstones become especially potent. During the same phase of the moon when they were formed, they add a +2 dice bonus to Open Moon Gate rite.
                              So Open Moon Gate has much better effects than Hidden Path Rite. With 3 Successes you got one eighth of time, but with 4 Success you got one sixteenth and by 5 Success you got one thirty two time of original travel. Not to mention instant travel on Exceptional Success. So it’s much more the thing I look for.

As to Forge Lunar Road – I think it’s ‘tax Rite’ that could easily be changed for Pathstone Fetish creation. You simply create two stones Fetish in starting location, takes one with you – and then can open Lunar Road with Open Moon Gate Rite ( or variant of it ). Like our priestess can create two stones in Uppsalla, take one with her – and whenever she is in powerful Loci on the way, she can Open Lunar Road to twin of the Pathstone she has with her.

Think about calling 2E version of the Rite 'Forge Lunar Road', even if it will be much more Opening Moon Gate in working.
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-09-2018, 04:36 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X